• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubeTimer - iOS speedcubing timer

Jorghi

Well, there are apps similar to this but free. There isn't much of an advantage. But I don't think the cost is a problem.

IngeneroiOS

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, there are apps similar to this but free. There isn't much of an advantage. But I don't think the cost is a problem.

Similar, yes. But they all seem to have some restriction or other - that's what drove us to make this. Some could only save certain number of times, if they could save at all, some couldn't display graphs etc. Others simply don't look great - some do look great (I particularly like the look of 'Rubik's Cube Timer') but don't offer everything we needed. The comparable ones in terms of features are all paid - in particular iCube Timer, which I personally don't like the look of, and which is more expensive. That being said, if you don't need everything and a free app meets your needs, then by all means use that instead.

IngeneroiOS

YouTube
Visit Channel
We've just released CubeTimer v1.3, which adds most of the features that have been requested. I'll update the first post with more info soon, but if you were on the fence before about buying it you definitely should look at it again.
Also - this version has an ad for SpeedCubeShop.com, but you can easily disable it (for free) by tapping on the ad, then selecting 'Disable ads'. Most major new feature is different scramblers for 2x2 - 11x11, Megaminx, Pyraminx, Clock and Square-1, but there are lots of other small features I'll detail in the first post.

IngeneroiOS

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not at this stage. If it is highly successful on iOS then we'll consider it on Android, but otherwise it's not worth the investment and effort. The code is also very platform specific, and would require an almost complete rewrite to be 'ported'.

IngeneroiOS

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update 1.3.1 has been released, which includes the ability to add penalties. Now we have checked off all the features on our 'list to implement'. Is there anything else that we should add? Any more things it would need for you to buy it? Take a look at CamCuber's video in the first post if you want to see what it's like with the updates.

IngeneroiOS

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update 1.4 is out! This one includes a scramble reader for 2x2 and 3x3, OH and BLD options for solves, Average of 12, random-state 2x2 scrambler, and an option to display a statistic on the timer screen. Unfortunately, a couple of bugs slipped through, so we're making an update to address these issues.
Mods: I want to create a new thread for CubeTimer, as the majority of this thread applies to the initial release, which is far removed from the last few versions in terms of functionality. However, I was hesitant because that might be considered spamming - I haven't personally contributed much to the forums, preferring to 'lurk'. Would creating a new thread be an issue, or should I leave this as is?

EDIT: We've launched version 2.0. The thread can be found here.

Hi all. CubeTimer v1.4 has been released onto the App Store, bringing some major improvements. It's still only US$0.99. I'll let the feature list speak for itself.

• Tap anywhere on the screen to stop the stopwatch.
• Stackmat functionality and fully optimized interface on iPad.
• Scramble reader - the app can read 2x2 and 3x3 scrambles to you.
• Scramblers for 2x2 - 11x11 cubes (WCA scramblers for 4x4 to 11x11), Rubik's Clock, Megaminx, Pyraminx and Square-1 puzzles.
• One-handed and blindfolded solving options.
• Adjustable countdown timer from 0 to 30 seconds.
• Never miss the start - the screen flashes and a beep plays as the countdown counts from 5 to 0.
• View a statistic of your choice on the timer screen.
• Choose whether to save your times - and delete them later if you change your mind.
• Add two second penalties to individual times.
• Share your results on Twitter or via email.
• Customizable interface - choose your own background and colour scheme.
• After each solve, the app will tell you how how many seconds away you were from your record for that puzzle.
• Multiple solvers - have up to three (five on iPad) people solving the same scramble at once, and save each person's time. Also works as a relay feature.
• List of results - all the times which you choose to save are stored, along with the date and scramble moves. There is no limit to the number of results. You can delete results individually or use the multiple delete functionality.
• Sort your results by puzzle type.
• Calculate various statistics for each puzzle type.
• CubeTimer can display a graph of your most recent results (last five in portrait, last eight in landscape, and up to twenty on the iPad). You can view different graphs for each puzzle and solve type.
• The entire app works in either portrait or landscape.
• Generate a new scramble at the touch of a button.
• Screen does not dim or turn off while cubing.

Please note that while there is an ad for SpeedCubeShop on the main screen, it can be easily disabled by tapping on it then selecting 'Disable ads'.
We've put in a lot of work into this update, incorporating most of your suggestions. We also did a lot or research, including reading the WCA regulations. We hope you like it!

Thanks,
Thomas,
Ingenero Software

mzl.myxuahuz.png

More screenshots at the App Store link.

Review by CamCuber of 1.3 version:

Nah. I still prefer cstimer.net