• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Coronavirus With Cubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Not all sicknesses are equal, you are much less likely to die from flu than corona regardless of age

That's not really that true, the flu and corona are very comparable in terms of "deadliness"

they are very different diseases, and corona is the more dangerous one.

While they are different, corona isn't that much more dangerous

Please stop comparing them as if they are equal.

They are roughly comparable

I have lost pretty much all my respect for you btw.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm flaming, but honestly that just shows you don't accept someone with a different view point. I don't agree with you and think you're very wrong and misinformed, but that doesn't mean I don't respect you.

brododragon

Quarantine isn't a law or anything where I am, just a very strong recommendation. And even if corona does affect me and I actually get symptoms, I'll just be sick for a few days
...And, spread it to those who are more vunerable. Also, if you think, "Oh, well I'll just quarantine if I get sick," Corona can take over a week to manifest symptoms, and is sometimes entirely asymptomatic, meaning you can infect people without even showing symptoms.
So we should go in quarantine during flu season? I might have the flu without realizing it and if I visit my grandparents they might get sick, and if I leave the house I could contaminate a bunch of people, just like corona.
The only way that sentence would make sense is if your an Anti-Vaxxer. Vaccines keep people from getting the flu, and we're in luck, because we have flu vaccines.

That's not really that true, the flu and corona are very comparable in terms of "deadliness"
Please remember that vaccines exist.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
...And, spread it to those who are more vunerable.

Again, more vulnerable people are vulnerable to any sickness and could die of a cold

Also, if you think, "Oh, well I'll just quarantine if I get sick," Corona can take over a week to manifest symptoms, and is sometimes entirely asymptomatic, meaning you can infect people without even showing symptoms.

I'm completely aware of that, and if anything, that makes corona less deadly, since many people don't even get sick when they do have it

The only way that sentence would make sense is if your an Anti-Vaxxer. Vaccines keep people from getting the flu, and we're in luck, because we have flu vaccines.

That is not true. The flu vaccine treats the most common type of flu from last year. There are thousands of types of the flu, and the experts are just making an educated guess about what type of flu they should make vaccines for. Want proof that vaccines don't always work? Almost everyone is the US gets flu vaccines every year, yet millions get the flu each year. So flu is still a problem, even if you get vaccinated.

Please remember that vaccines exist.

Please remember you're wrong

NevEr_QeyX

I don't know. DO vaccines for Corona exist? You would think somebody would get on top of that and try to make one.

Just curious... I'm not trying to spark a fire of rage in anyone... Don't @ me lol

I think everybody needs to go to the CDC website and read what the experts are saying before making arguments.

brododragon

I'm completely aware of that, and if anything, that makes corona less deadly, since many people don't even get sick when they do have it
Two things:
1. You might still have symptoms, just haven't shown them yet
2. You may be asymptomatic or just haven't shown yet, but you can still transmit it.
If anything, it's more dangerous, because it can be transmitted before you show symptoms. Look at this quote from this article:
Sixty singers went to rehearsal and followed all the rules, according to the Los Angeles Times — nobody hugged, shook hands or appeared ill — yet three weeks later, 45 were diagnosed with COVID-19 or had symptoms of the disease, and two have died.
That is not true. The flu vaccine treats the most common type of flu from last year. There are thousands of types of the flu, and the experts are just making an educated guess about what type of flu they should make vaccines for. Want proof that vaccines don't always work? Almost everyone is the US gets flu vaccines every year, yet millions get the flu each year. So flu is still a problem, even if you get vaccinated.
Everything about this is wrong. Scientists collect all the data from the previous year and then make a forecast about the next year. That’s like saying meteorologists just say that it’s going to rain how much it did yesterday. No, they collect information about the past to make a forecast about the future. Here’s an article on it. More reasons they’re not comparable:
1. Flu symptoms are easy to spot and manifest quickly, while Corona may just look like the common cold.
2. Corona spreads easier and survives longer on surfaces.

Please site the article you’re getting these bogus facts from.

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Wow, once again I am amazed at the...(how to best put it)...ignorance, silliness, blow off attitude, somewhat selfish talk in this thread, especially in the last day or two from some of you.

Now before I say anymore, please note that I have been carefully keeping up to date on all the new, news on COVID-19, but that does not mean that I know everything, or that things are not going to change.

Here are some things that I want to point out (which most people know or should know by now), but are worth mentioning again. I also am going to throw out both sides to the argument as I see fairly clearly both of them and as all people should do, is take both sides into consideration and (big word here) use MODERATION in what they do.

Although COVID-19 is similar to a cold/flu, I think people should stop comparing it to that until more official info comes out on that. Yes it carries the same symptoms of a flu, but if it were a flu then there would not need to be all the precautions in place as there is now, not least of which it would not be spreading as fast and out of control as it is (again if it were that close to a flu) had not some precautions/quarantine been put in place (and not just America but all on the world). Don't get me wrong I do know that people comparing it to a flu are right in that it is a COVID respiratory strand, but as many experts have pointed out this is a very new disease, with not much knowledge of it, how quickly it can spread, if it last better in colder weather, how long it lasts on things, how far it can travel, etc...the list goes on.

Why I think quarantine was a good idea for a while, or at least for a month or two.
1. As mentioned above, experts are still trying to figure out this virus, and if the governments in each country, WHO (not sure about them), CDC, and all other health organizations, or people involved in this, then the virus would be far worse then it is at this very moment (from when I post this), and the death rate would be much higher, so with that I think you all owe it to yourselves to be mindful of that, and grateful for all the work that the health organizations and leaders have been doing in recent months, and by trying the best to contain it as quickly and best as possible. Compare it to a bad wildfire (which I have seen in person more then once mind you), if a fire breaks out and no one were to help local officials by listing to what they say (either before or during a wildfire), then it could spread much worse then if people helped out and did what they were told for a one off (or very rare event) in there life, like COVID-19.
2. It's not for not that this is closer to the Spanish Flu of 1918, then just a normal flu that hits every year, and the only reason for that that it is not as bad as the Spanish flu is thanks to modern technology, social media, etc. since all that info can be passed much faster and can/has slowed the spread of COVID-19, and has also helped people recover from this. If people had been going about there lives the same as any other year, then can you imagine how much worse the world would be off then if quarantine restrictions had not been put in place? And this is not me saying this, but it would be far worse then it is now.
3. It has helped most people be more cautious, and sanitary then before (I think) and put some people in to better habits that they otherwise would never have done.
4. Had not certain country's (or most) put travel bans in place then it would have spread much quicker then with travel bans, and social distancing regulations.
5. To date, there is still a lot of uncertainty as to why certain country's, races, individuals get hit with COVID harder then others, so by distancing people, it has and will help experts narrow it down further and faster then if people were not distancing.

Why I don't like the idea of quarantine or think it is/could be bad for a long time:
1. Not every country, state, or region has gotten (or will) get hit in the same way as others, so by quarantining those people (that are not affected) does cause problems and I do not see it as fully right in some cases, so I think/wish that were different.
2. I do not fully like a government taking control over everyone in that country, since the more you give then control/they take it, the harder it is to get it back, or them willing to give it back, so I think having someway of not allowing that fine, as long as those that fight for that are doing so for the right reason, and not out of hate or annoyance.
3. Those that are willing to take the chance and go about, then let them do so, but if you are one of those people, before you do think about others, before you do that. But if you have done so, and agreed or know to avoid going to see people that are at danger from getting the virus bad then by all means do so.
4. I speak here for the US (but I know that other country's have there own laws and rights), but for the US there is a reason that the founding fathers but together the amendments, laws, constitutions, etc. to give people the right to live with out being overruled by the government. I fully support those laws and amendments, and do not want them in anyway to go away, so keeping people or the government from doing so is great.

There are some more reason for both sides, and I will think of them over time, but those above are the ones I can think of now.
And here are something I would like to finish with.

This is (hopefully) a once in a file time event, so since the chances of that are pretty high (again hopefully), please be patient with the quarantine, local governments, health experts, and everyone working towards getting the world back to a somewhat normal way of life. We are all humankind no matter what nationality, race, religion, or belief you are, and since that is the case please think about other people first before yourself.
I know that right now is a hard time for everyone, and in those hard times people have a harder time being nice or patient with others, but we can and are all in this together, and if we can remain that way then this will be easier to everyone and for everyone to go through.

The world has been through hard times many, many times in the past, and yet it has still gone on to be where it is (was a few months ago), and so it will with this whole COVID-19. For from hard times will rise great times once again.

I do not expect many people to agree with everything or anything I say, but what I do hope is that you will be mindful of others before yourself, respect your government for what they do (even if you do not agree with it). Respect health experts that are trying to help out (again even if you do not agree with it). Avoid blowing off this whole thing like you are invincible to it or may "not get it that badly", (since again it's not just about you, and the tables may be turned for you later in life). Be patient until this passes over and/or vaccine comes out. And above all realize that this is the perfect time for you to practice an event you really like and get so good at that at your next competition (once they start up) you will get the WR or be in the top 5 in the world on : )

brododragon

Wow, once again I am amazed at the...(how to best put it)...ignorance, silliness, blow off attitude, somewhat selfish talk in this thread, especially in the last day or two from some of you.

Now before I say anymore, please note that I have been carefully keeping up to date on all the new, news on COVID-19, but that does not mean that I know everything, or that things are not going to change.

Here are some things that I want to point out (which most people know or should know by now), but are worth mentioning again. I also am going to throw out both sides to the argument as I see fairly clearly both of them and as all people should do, is take both sides into consideration and (big word here) use MODERATION in what they do.

Although COVID-19 is similar to a cold/flu, I think people should stop comparing it to that until more official info comes out on that. Yes it carries the same symptoms of a flu, but if it were a flu then there would not need to be all the precautions in place as there is now, not least of which it would not be spreading as fast and out of control as it is (again if it were that close to a flu) had not some precautions/quarantine been put in place (and not just America but all on the world). Don't get me wrong I do know that people comparing it to a flu are right in that it is a COVID respiratory strand, but as many experts have pointed out this is a very new disease, with not much knowledge of it, how quickly it can spread, if it last better in colder weather, how long it lasts on things, how far it can travel, etc...the list goes on.

Why I think quarantine was a good idea for a while, or at least for a month or two.
1. As mentioned above, experts are still trying to figure out this virus, and if the governments in each country, WHO (not sure about them), CDC, and all other health organizations, or people involved in this, then the virus would be far worse then it is at this very moment (from when I post this), and the death rate would be much higher, so with that I think you all owe it to yourselves to be mindful of that, and grateful for all the work that the health organizations and leaders have been doing in recent months, and by trying the best to contain it as quickly and best as possible. Compare it to a bad wildfire (which I have seen in person more then once mind you), if a fire breaks out and no one were to help local officials by listing to what they say (either before or during a wildfire), then it could spread much worse then if people helped out and did what they were told for a one off (or very rare event) in there life, like COVID-19.
2. It's not for not that this is closer to the Spanish Flu of 1918, then just a normal flu that hits every year, and the only reason for that that it is not as bad as the Spanish flu is thanks to modern technology, social media, etc. since all that info can be passed much faster and can/has slowed the spread of COVID-19, and has also helped people recover from this. If people had been going about there lives the same as any other year, then can you imagine how much worse the world would be off then if quarantine restrictions had not been put in place? And this is not me saying this, but it would be far worse then it is now.
3. It has helped most people be more cautious, and sanitary then before (I think) and put some people in to better habits that they otherwise would never have done.
4. Had not certain country's (or most) put travel bans in place then it would have spread much quicker then with travel bans, and social distancing regulations.
5. To date, there is still a lot of uncertainty as to why certain country's, races, individuals get hit with COVID harder then others, so by distancing people, it has and will help experts narrow it down further and faster then if people were not distancing.

Why I don't like the idea of quarantine or think it is/could be bad for a long time:
1. Not every country, state, or region has gotten (or will) get hit in the same way as others, so by quarantining those people (that are not affected) does cause problems and I do not see it as fully right in some cases, so I think/wish that were different.
2. I do not fully like a government taking control over everyone in that country, since the more you give then control/they take it, the harder it is to get it back, or them willing to give it back, so I think having someway of not allowing that fine, as long as those that fight for that are doing so for the right reason, and not out of hate or annoyance.
3. Those that are willing to take the chance and go about, then let them do so, but if you are one of those people, before you do think about others, before you do that. But if you have done so, and agreed or know to avoid going to see people that are at danger from getting the virus bad then by all means do so.
4. I speak here for the US (but I know that other country's have there own laws and rights), but for the US there is a reason that the founding fathers but together the amendments, laws, constitutions, etc. to give people the right to live with out being overruled by the government. I fully support those laws and amendments, and do not want them in anyway to go away, so keeping people or the government from doing so is great.

There are some more reason for both sides, and I will think of them over time, but those above are the ones I can think of now.
And here are something I would like to finish with.

This is (hopefully) a once in a file time event, so since the chances of that are pretty high (again hopefully), please be patient with the quarantine, local governments, health experts, and everyone working towards getting the world back to a somewhat normal way of life. We are all humankind no matter what nationality, race, religion, or belief you are, and since that is the case please think about other people first before yourself.
I know that right now is a hard time for everyone, and in those hard times people have a harder time being nice or patient with others, but we can and are all in this together, and if we can remain that way then this will be easier to everyone and for everyone to go through.

The world has been through hard times many, many times in the past, and yet it has still gone on to be where it is (was a few months ago), and so it will with this whole COVID-19. For from hard times will rise great times once again.

I do not expect many people to agree with everything or anything I say, but what I do hope is that you will be mindful of others before yourself, respect your government for what they do (even if you do not agree with it). Respect health experts that are trying to help out (again even if you do not agree with it). Avoid blowing off this whole thing like you are invincible to it or may "not get it that badly", (since again it's not just about you, and the tables may be turned for you later in life). Be patient until this passes over and/or vaccine comes out. And above all realize that this is the perfect time for you to practice an event you really like and get so good at that at your next competition (once they start up) you will get the WR or be in the top 5 in the world on : )
Well said. Sometimes I get to invested in a useless argument. That being said, no one can say it better than @NevEr_QeyX:
@ProStar @Etotheipi

Girls, Girls, you're both pretty can we talk about the MGC 7x7 now?

This is starting to sound like the parents threw away my cubes thread.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Well said. Sometimes I get to invested in a useless argument. That being said, no one can say it better than @NevEr_QeyX:
Thanks, and I think for something of this magnitude it is nice to see others thoughts and above all make people aware of the fact about this. Granted sometimes it is not worth arguing about (like best method, best cube, etc.) but for something that is/can make a huge difference in people's life I do not mind talking about it...plus this thread is kind of meant for that.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Quick, edit our arguments to have "cube" so they don't get deleted for off-topic!
Oops, yeah sorry. Didn't pay attention to the fact that this thread is in the certain thread area. Thanks for pointing that out.

If anyone is against us talking about this in this thread please let us know, although I do not see any harm in this thread right now, and would not mind this one staying about what we have been talking about...if that makes sense. Anyone?

brododragon

If anyone is against us talking about this in this thread please let us know, although I do not see any harm in this thread right now, and would not mind this one staying about what we have been talking about...if that makes sense. Anyone?
Yeah, it was just a joke because you mentioned it was a bit off-topic.

WCA
2019WILK04
YouTube
Visit Channel

I don't mean to sound as though I'm flaming, but honestly that just shows you don't accept someone with a different view point. I don't agree with you and think you're very wrong and misinformed, but that doesn't mean I don't respect you.

1. They are comparable, but that statement doesn’t support you in any way. It is a fact that coronavirus is more deadly, and by a more significant margin than you clearly must think.
2. In response the the second statement, leading in from my last point, it is also more dangerous due to the increased ability it has to spread hence why health systems are overwhelmed as it is far worse than a bad flu season.
3. This doesn’t show a lack of acceptance that by realising you are so selfish that you believe you are above potentially the law, scientists who know what is best to do to save lives and are far more qualified than you, and others’ lives. This isn’t some issue that has a definitive right and wrong, it is dangerous and we should do what scientists say as they are the only ones who really can tell us what is right as they know what they’re doing. I’d like to see you go and gather evidence on this after years of training and still come to the conclusion that it is fine to go to your Bible meeting.
I'd like to formally state that I don't give **** about corona, even if I do get it(assuming I haven't already) I'll at worst have flu-like symptoms for a few days, and at best I won't have any symptoms at all. I have a decent immune system, I'm fine.
This is one of the most ignorant and selfish things I’ve ever read. You don’t seem to grasp the concept that you as a healthy 12 year old flouting quarantine rules will result in the deaths of people from you transmitting it to the vulnerable. Just think, how could you apologise to someone’s family for giving both their grandparents Coronavirus and they’ve ended up dead. It’s almost manslaughter at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.