• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
One change I would love is when you post in a thread it doesn’t make you auto follow it. Maybe instead a screen comes up asking you if you want to follow the thread instead. Also starting a keyboard timer on comps with the control keys would be nice to encourage people without a stackmat to not hold the cube.
Yeah, although I would say a bigger problem is the fact that it always pulls up a pop-up window and opens your profile menu when you hit space to end a solve. Maybe that's just me, but it's a bit of a problem to deal with...

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, although I would say a bigger problem is the fact that it always pulls up a pop-up window and opens your profile menu when you hit space to end a solve. Maybe that's just me, but it's a bit of a problem to deal with...
I would like to know more about this. I've tried it on many browsers and have never seen this. Can you tell me more about it? What pop-up window does it display? Does it do it every time you hit space to end a solve, or only sometimes?

Is the problem browser or device dependent?

Also, you've been competing here for years. Has it always had this problem for you, or is it a recent problem? (I see you've done 2848 solves here. If you've had to put up with a pop-up window and profile menu opening on each of those 2848 solves, I'm truly sorry for the misery I've caused you!) :)

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to know more about this. I've tried it on many browsers and have never seen this. Can you tell me more about it? What pop-up window does it display? Does it do it every time you hit space to end a solve, or only sometimes?

Is the problem browser or device dependent?

Also, you've been competing here for years. Has it always had this problem for you, or is it a recent problem? (I see you've done 2848 solves here. If you've had to put up with a pop-up window and profile menu opening on each of those 2848 solves, I'm truly sorry for the misery I've caused you!) :)
Well, I only think it's happened in the last year or so, but I tried recreating it just now and it only happened when I pressed multiple keys. What happened is I'd get the following two things happening:
Screenshot 2022-12-13 13.14.17.png
This shows up and then I usually click "Cancel" on the window.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 13.14.23.png
This window shows up as a result. (Not the screenshot window, sorry about that.)

I've done solves on various computers, usually a Chrome one but also Apple and Windows ones using various browsers, and this happens most of the time when I accidentally press multiple keys.

xyzzy

I miss the Threadloom search results. The configurability was very nice, and it was easy to do filtered searches like "find all posts by so-and-so user in so-and-so thread". Unless I'm missing something, that's not possible anymore.

Cuber Score

A bunch of people have probably said this already, but get rid of rule 2f. I don't see the reason why we need to use old threads fading away instead of making our own. Also, it's kind of ridiculous how the expectation is that every thread has some sort of meaningful, valuable conversation, and that breaking that rule could get you in trouble.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
A bunch of people have probably said this already, but get rid of rule 2f. I don't see the reason why we need to use old threads fading away instead of making our own. Also, it's kind of ridiculous how the expectation is that every thread has some sort of meaningful, valuable conversation, and that breaking that rule could get you in trouble.

I disagree. We don’t need another person saying “yo I average sub 30 what do I need to do to get sub 20” and giving no other information, because then everyone will say the same thing they did on all the other threads: “work on f2l learn PLL watch j perm and practice”

Now, I am in favor of a rather lax enforcement of the rule. It’s important for users to be educated (unfortunately, no one actually reads the forum rules, especially new users) about the rules and given a couple unofficial warnings before an official infraction point is issued.

However, overall the rule is good in my opinion, since we want a cleaner forum experience. Any longtime user gets very tired of seeing the same 3 posts over and over again. What’s the point of all these centralized discussion threads and OAQT threads and guides if no one is gonna use them?

Last edited:

Cuber Score

I disagree. We don’t need another person saying “yo I average sub 30 what do I need to do to get sub 20” and giving no other information, because then everyone will say the same thing they did on all the other threads: “work on f2l learn PLL watch j perm and practice”

Now, I am in favor of a rather lax enforcement of the rule. It’s important for users to be educated (unfortunately, no one actually reads the forum rules, especially new users) about the rules and given a couple warnings before an official warn is issued.

However, overall the rule is good in my opinion, since we want a cleaner forum experience. Any longtime user gets very tired of seeing the same 3 posts over and over again. What’s the point of all these centralized discussion threads and OAQT threads and guides if no one is gonna use them?
To a certain extent, I do agree. However, I don't think someone should have to risk getting an infarction point or anything like that because they posted a thread that was already used. Since it is mostly new members doing that, it would be ridiculous to condemn someone new to the forum for that.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
To a certain extent, I do agree. However, I don't think someone should have to risk getting an infarction point or anything like that because they posted a thread that was already used. Since it is mostly new members doing that, it would be ridiculous to condemn someone new to the forum for that.

Hello, kindly read my post:

Now, I am in favor of a rather lax enforcement of the rule. It’s important for users to be educated (unfortunately, no one actually reads the forum rules, especially new users) about the rules and given a couple unofficial warnings before an official warn is issued.

Thom S.

Strongly disagree.
Things like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and the like don't ever get a sense of community because every archievement, every picture, every discussion fades away into forever obscurity after hours or days on small communities. If you look for help, a post will be seen for that amount of time and only whoever sees it will be able to help. That's where forums come in with their 'forever Threads' every non-ignored piece of information ends up in every feed and discussion will stay inside for everyone to see.
Bumping something ob Coubx' Friends is a lot of work. Here, you just write Bump or a paragraph on how you need help.

Since it is mostly new members doing that, it would be ridiculous to condemn someone new to the forum for that.
I already condemn new members by default. It's not a big strech to also condemn them for obvious things.
Why obvious? Well, not obvious, at least not anymore. I started with Woodworking forums in 2002, back when Email-Lists were already declining. Most people you met IRL that were on the internet knew some things about forum etiquette.
Now, of course, newer internet users will mostly be familiar with social media instead of forums, so we need some kind of support.
Maybe, like when you bump a years old thread, when you start a new one you get asked "Have you checked if this thread already exists?" To at least have an excuse to mute new members.

Being able to change the title after starting a thread, getting rid of/shortening time needed to get rid of moderator approval, and maybe being able to see the newest/most relevant posts only (this might work by having the user start at the bottom [the most recent posts] and being able to scroll up to see older posts).