• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

xyzzy

Has the search engine for the forums changed recently? I've had a hard time searching for threads or posts using keywords lately. I have noticed that when I type the names of threads they are not appearing as top results as they used to. This happens even if I use the exact characters that make up thread titles.

Below is an example, I searched "One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations" which is an exact character for character match of the "One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Thread" without the "Thread" but it appears as the 8th result which is annoying, makes navigating the site harder and overall less enjoyable.
I actually quite like the Threadloom search results when searching for post contents. But like you say, it's not that great when it comes to searching for threads by their titles.

I think that we should abolish the character limit in profile posts, or at least extend the limit, as long as the post is on the poster's profile.
Dealing with a 420 character limit is somewhat frustrating when you're trying to say something important and can't fit it all into one post, and while I realize that this is probably to protect from spam, I think that we should have a bigger character limit or limit based on word count, or even abolish the limit outright.
I don't know how many characters are in the average word, but it's probably about 6 or something, so if we multiply that by 500, we get a few thousand. Then, rounding that up to a power of two gives a 4,096 byte limit.
If it's really important, you can make a thread about it, or a post in a relevant thread. If it's not important enough to warrant a thread of its own…

420 characters is a bit limiting, especially if you like flowery prose, but I also don't see much of a reason for extending that nearly tenfold.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know the views per thread thing? It would be pretty neat if right under that you put the individual views. Just a thought.
A wee bit confused as to what you mean by "individual views". Do you mean the number of individuals who have viewed that thread, or the number of individuals in that thread, or something else?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is anyone else having an issue resizing imbedded photos when posting on a cellphone (Android 12)? Every time I click on the image to try and drag it smaller it automatically de-selects it.
This is a difficult thing to do on any forum while on mobile. I would suggest manually specifying an image height/width.

Imsoosm

I don't know if it's just me, but the notifications update is not that much reliable. Sometimes it updates without refreshing the page, sometimes not
Same for me, but I don't think that's too much of a problem.

And if any of the mods/admins still look at this thread, I want to suggest that you can delete polls in your thread. Currently, once you post a poll, that poll is stuck to your thread. You can't add any new polls or delete your old one, unless you delete your thread/start another poll in a new thread.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

And if any of the mods/admins still look at this thread, I want to suggest that you can delete polls in your thread. Currently, once you post a poll, that poll is stuck to your thread. You can't add any new polls or delete your old one, unless you delete your thread/start another poll in a new thread.
@pjk

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Is anyone else having an issue resizing imbedded photos when posting on a cellphone (Android 12)? Every time I click on the image to try and drag it smaller it automatically de-selects it.
Can you explain in more detail so I can replicate the issue?

I don't know if it's just me, but the notifications update is not that much reliable. Sometimes it updates without refreshing the page, sometimes not
Can you explain in more detail so I can replicate the issue?

Since this is quite rare, simply report the post and request to remove the poll and one of the moderators will delete it.

Keep the feedback and suggestions coming, we're constantly looking for ways to make the community better. Thanks.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
sometimes I get notifications without refreshing the page, sometimes not
it's unreliable

in some cases I have 0 notifications but if I refresh the page I get various notifications right away
What browser are you using?

Bring back copy-and-pasteable scrambles please! I can't use them anymore!
Can you elaborate on what you mean here?

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you elaborate on what you mean here?
Whenever I go to the rankings for a certain week’s event, I often click on scrambles to copy-and-paste them into csTimer or something similar, but since it switched to an automated message (a pop-up which says, “Speedsolving says, ‘1. Scramble 1, etc.’”), there’s no way to do that anymore. There is a workaround for the current week (copy-and-pasting from the manual entry page), but unfortunately there’s no way to do this for scrambles from previous weeks anymore. I could see possibly checking the source code for each week’s scrambles, but for my school laptop this is impossible since my school has disabled that feature.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whenever I go to the rankings for a certain week’s event, I often click on scrambles to copy-and-paste them into csTimer or something similar, but since it switched to an automated message (a pop-up which says, “Speedsolving says, ‘1. Scramble 1, etc.’”), there’s no way to do that anymore. There is a workaround for the current week (copy-and-pasting from the manual entry page), but unfortunately there’s no way to do this for scrambles from previous weeks anymore. I could see possibly checking the source code for each week’s scrambles, but for my school laptop this is impossible since my school has disabled that feature.
I would recommend asking @Mike Hughey in the designated Weekly Competition Website Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is weird. I'm using Firefox - I'm not sure what you're using - but I am able to copy and paste the scrambles from that pop-up. I'm curious why you're not able to.

Just an example I just now copied and pasted from that pop-up:
Clock week 2022-32:

1. UR4- DR3- DL0+ UL4- U2- R5- D5- L1+ ALL3- y2 U3+ R1- D5- L3- ALL0+ UR DL UL
2. UR4+ DR2- DL4- UL0+ U2- R2- D5+ L0+ ALL1- y2 U2- R4- D4+ L1- ALL2+ DL
3. UR3+ DR0+ DL2- UL2- U5+ R3- D4- L6+ ALL4+ y2 U6+ R1- D4+ L1+ ALL6+ UR DR DL UL
4. UR0+ DR5- DL4- UL3+ U1- R2- D5- L5- ALL5- y2 U4- R4+ D2- L4+ ALL2- DL
5. UR1- DR2- DL6+ UL3- U4+ R5- D4- L2+ ALL5+ y2 U1- R6+ D5+ L4+ ALL4+ UR DL UL