• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Collection of places to learn methods

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen many threads asking where to learn methods, algorithms etc., so I made this thread so people don't have to search for individual forums, they just have to look here. If you know any useful places, post them here and they may end up on the list. The list will gradually get bigger, so if the method you're looking for isn't on the list, then keep checking, it will probably end up on the list sooner or later. Or, you could look at the Methods page on the Wiki.

3x3x3 Methods

Intuitive F2L
Easily Badmephisto's F2L page. It contains links to his 2-part video, and details advanced F2L techniques.

Algorithmic F2L
Learn2cube's F2L page is probably the best place to go. I would recommend learning intuitive F2L, but after you have mastered that, then you should learn some algorithms for the harder cases.

4 Look Last Layer (2 look OLL and 2 look PLL)
I learnt 4LLL from Kaixax555's page. But his first look algorithms aren't worth learning, for case 1, use F R U R' U' F' U2 F U R U' R' F'; for case 2, use F U R U' R' F'; and for case 3, use F R U R' U' F'.

Petrus
Lars Petrus's site features a beginners explanation, as well as intermediate and advanced techniques to help you improve and get faster. I don't use Petrus, but if you want to learn Petrus, I would recommend this site.

Roux
There are a quite a few places:
Learn Roux is a simple, explanation to follow, as well as algorithms for CMLL and LSE.
Gilles Roux's website contains a more detailed explanation, with more algorithms that you could learn once you have learnt from Learn Roux.
Waffle's site is an easy-to-follow website, with algorithms for the last 2 steps.

ZZ
This site is probably the best. It provides simple explanations and different techniques to improve your times.

Waterman
Rubikscube.info guide is probably the best to learn Waterman from. It contains algorithms, and a detailed explanation, but is a bit 'wordy'.

Heise
Ryan Heise's site is the most useful. It contains applets that show you examples and allow you to practice these concepts without a cube. It also explains advanced hints and tips.

2x2x2 Methods

Ortega and Guimond
Probably Andy Klise's PDF guide. His XLL diagrams are very useful, as they give you tips to recognise the different algorithms.

Last edited:
WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, effectively a copy of http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Methods ?

If not, what's the difference, other than giving you a direct link to the method rather than click for details -> external links? (The wiki is effectively where I always go if I want to learn a new trick, unless it's method-specific and I already have a website, of course; i.e. K4 hax)

Is there a purpose to making a thread on the forum gathering information that's already on the wiki? (I'm being serious, not trolling. Honest.)

Last edited:

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, effectively a copy of http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Methods ?

If not, what's the difference, other than giving you a direct link to the method rather than click for details -> external links? (The wiki is effectively where I always go if I want to learn a new trick, unless it's method-specific and I already have a website, of course; i.e. K4 hax)

Is there a purpose to making a thread on the forum gathering information that's already on the wiki? (I'm being serious, not trolling. Honest.)

It doesn't always tell you where to learn them.

I'm not only talking about 3x3x3, I would want methods for 2x2x2, big cubes, Megaminx, Pyraminx etc.

mariano.aquino

Premium Member
WCA
2011AQUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have a tutorial for Snyder?

If you want to try out Snyder method, learn trypod, it's the same principle: 2x2x3 petrus block, fridrich-like F2L, then solve a few pieces, then solve the rest in one algorithm =)

our you could learn heise as well, with a simplified LL ;-)

Last edited: