• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Choosing your cube (Answers for newbs)

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is for beginners. Intermediates need not view this whole thread. I'm aware that there are several threads like these, Choosing a Cube, for Noobs In particular. However, these have not been updated for quite some time, and I think I hold enough knowledge to recommend cubes to newbs. This will be specifically for 3x3's. If time permits, I'll do a review on most 3x3's, in a fashion similar to This thread.

Hello, beginner. At this point, you're using a Storebought cube, one that you've bought from ToysRus, WalMart, etc. It should have a Rubik's logo on the white side. Now whether your times are around 1:30 to 30 seconds, this should help somewhat on choosing your first DIY. First, I'll get the acronyms and terms that we use commonly. (Not just for cube hardware)

Newb - This is you. It means a beginner, or somebody inexperienced.
DIY - Do It Yourself. DIY cubes refer to the cubes that are pre-assembled, not recommended for beginners.
Fridrich - This is a method. It should be somewhat similar to the Beginner's Method (Steps in order: Cross, Corners, Edges, Top layer edges, Top layer corners, Solving corners, Solving edges). Instead of solving corners and edges individually, they are merged into a step called "F2L". Top layer edges and corners are merged into a step called "OLL" and Solving top layer corners and top layer edges are merged into "PLL"
Hardwares - These are the Screws and springs and washers that are found in each centre piece of the cube.
Core - This is what the hardwares are connected to. Without the cores and hardwares, your cube would fall apart instantly.
Lube - Not used for disgusting activities. It's used to make the cube smoother. Common Lubricants are Jig-A-Loo, and CRC. 3-in-1 silicone lubricant works, however it is not recommended. Vaseline is to be avoided at all costs. Note that cubes respond to different lubricants differently.
Petrus - A blockbuilding method. You build a "block" of the cube, and expand it. You then orient edges, and permute corners. Then use 2-Gen algorithms to solve the OLL and you should be left with an easy PLL.
Algorithms - A sequence of moves. You're gonna have to learn a lot of these if you plan to be fast.
2-Gen - An algorithm that moves only two faces of the cube. They are commonly R and U, and M and U.
Corner Cutting - Ability to move a layer when another layer is misaligned. For example, doing an R' when the U layer is slightly misaligned.
Lockups - When doing a turn and a piece catches on to another piece. Usually happens when layers are misaligned.
POP When a piece/pieces fall out of the cube. Usually an edge, but when multiple pieces 'explode' it can be anything from edges to centres.

I think I've covered that section. Feel free to expand.

Choosing your cube~~~

As a beginner, you may find yourself confused. "What is this F-II/AV/GuHong/Type A everybody speaks of? Aren't all cubes the same?". Fortunately, no. There are a multitude of cubes, each with their own differences in plastic, design, or hardware. Most of these cubes have a corresponding letter name. For example, the Type F. There are Type A's, Type B, Type C's, Type D's, Type E's, Type F's, and Type Q. Not all these cubes are recommended for beginners. There are also those that do not have a letter name. Some cubes with letter names also have 'actual' names. It can all be very confusing, but stick with cubing and you'll get it.
Let's cut to the chase. Each cube will have some sort of feel to it, whether that be crispy, buttery, bubbly, etc. Each cube varies in weight. Each cube varies in attributes (Corner cutting, resistant to lockups, POPs)

GhostHand Cube
This is a preassembled cube, one of the main reasons why this is good for beginners. At it's peak performance, corner cutting is average, Lockups are minimal, and almost no POPs. However, the cube gets dirty, and fast. Monthly maintenance is required. Speed is okay, nothing special, but this should be a huge 1-up from your current cube. This one is really quiet, and smooth. good for class :D

F-II
This cube comes preassembled, and is superior to it's predecessor, the F-I when it comes to beginners. It has a sort of "Bubbly" feeling, it's hard to explain, but you'll get it when you buy it. Out-of-the-box, it comes with some sort of "miracle lube" nobody knows of. Corner cutting is great, and lockups are occasional. POPs will occur often, if you're not careful. This cube is somewhat quiet, and super speedy. Best lube for this cube would be Shock Oil, or Jig-A-Loo. The Type F series is also known as Sheng En.

Type A-5
Alpha is another name for Type A, so common names would be AV (V = 5 roman numbers), A-V, A5, Alpha V, Alpha 5, you get it. This cube has a clicky, rough feeling. I personally don't like it, but some people do. The corner cutting is great, and lockups are occasional. A speedy cube, and POPs are minimal. It comes dissasembled most of the time, but when it is pre-assembled, take that option. This cube responds well to lots of lubes.

CubeForYou
This was one of my first DIY's, and let me tell you, I loved it (Before it got run over by a car). Great for beginners, although it is a bit pricy. You'll find that most DIY's are cheaper than storeboughts, but this is just one of those ones that aren't. It has a weird smooth/hollow-y feel to it, because all the cubies are sealed (If you decide to use the pieces that seal the edges. A.K.A edge caps). It is speedy, however, it looses in most other attributes. Lockups happen quite often, due to it's very angular cubies, and corner cutting doesn't happen much because this cube performs best at tight tensions. However, given that the cube is treated right, I doubt it will ever pop on you. This cube should be bought NIB (new in box, pre-assembled) if the choice is there. Reacts well to most lubes, but reacts best to a lube called "Maru Lube". It's not available to buy in physical stores, only online.

Closing comments~~

I kinda hope this was worth it, and I hope to see a somewhat noticeable decrease in "Which cube is best" threads. Also, if I didn't mention...
THERE IS NO BEST CUBE
Each has it's strong points, and shortcomings. It may take a few cubes, but there should be one just for you. These cubes will hopefully lead you to other cubes of it's type, but more suited for you (Eg. If you like ghosthand, you might want to move to the GhostHand II next, or F-II depending on your needs. The cube should fit you, not the other way around.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kynit

DIY - Do It Yourself. DIY cubes refer to the cubes that are pre-assembled, not recommended for beginners.
I think you mean cubes that require pre-assembly?

Looks like a good guide to me! I wish I'd seen something like this when I was trying to pick a cube :p

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
THERE IS NO BEST CUBE
Each has it's strong points, and shortcomings. It may take a few cubes, but there should be one just for you. These cubes will hopefully lead you to other cubes of it's type, but more suited for you (Eg. If you like ghosthand, you might want to move to the GhostHand II next, or F-II depending on your needs. The cube should fit you, not the other way around.)

^^This

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
Needs Roux when you can get around too it, it would be nice to have beginners able to see each method in it's entirety and be able to choose the one they like the best, not just fridrich because that's what everyone else uses.

buelercuber

WCA
2009BUEL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea, it also loved my first C4Y cube, it was my first DIY also. Then i got the Edison, which i thought was amazing because of the intense corner cutting. Then i got a Haiyans cube, no, not the haiyan memory, the haiyan cube. i then got a ghost hand I, i then traded it for a dayan II and this thing was beast, it still compares to my AV. Then i got am alpha v, also with that package that i ordered came a guhong, but with one edge piece missing :( i know i was devastated. i then got the piece later. Then i got an FII and that's my story.