• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I saw ichcubegerne's impressive mean in FMC this week and wondered, which place he would be all-time and checked his "current personal records": only 666th? Even NicoFoot is only 657th and there are only 42 listed at all :eek:
Wow, I had some old, frighteningly inefficient code doing that calculation, from before I was precalculating averages. I'm hoping I've fixed that now, and the code is also much more efficient. :) Please let me know if you see any more problems.

There is still so much code that should really be cleaned up - it's a never-ending job.

xyzzy

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://i.imgur.com/jEHbLYJ.png
Ew, this one is ugly to fix. The problem with having different formats in different years. I'll try to fix this eventually, but it may be a while - sorry!

The results posted on the individual competition threads are printed in blue, which is almost unreadable when using the dark theme. Maybe you (or pjk) could tweak the stylesheets so that the results use a lighter shade of blue on the dark theme?
I'll talk to pjk about it. If not, maybe I can just pick a different color.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I've been looking at this, and it's kind of complicated - I'm not sure what the right way to fix this is. Any suggestions?

For "official" Kinch ranks, it looks like they use a calculation of mean of 3 vs. WR mean of 3 if the competitor being ranked has a mean of 3, but they use a calculation of single vs. WR single if the competitor being ranked doesn't have a mean of 3. That's straightforward enough to implement for overall Kinch ranks, if there's agreement that this is how it really should be done. But what should I do for an individual Kinch score? For recent weeks (where mean of 3 is possible), if someone doesn't get a successful mean of 3, should I calculate their Kinch score against their best single? Or should they just get 0 points for it because they didn't finish the mean? My inclination is to use the best single, but I could see arguments for giving a 0 to anyone who doesn't complete a mean of 3. Not sure what to do.

Edit: Oops - I just found this in old text from one of Daniel's earlier posts:
Averages or Singles for 3bld and FM (whichever is best for you)
So apparently, even for Kinch ranks, I need to calculate both in each case, and use the best one. That seems a little weird and arbitrary to me (to single out just those two events), to be honest, but should I honor that? And should I do the same for Kinch scores for each week?

Last edited:

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: Oops - I just found this in old text from one of Daniel's earlier posts:

So apparently, even for Kinch ranks, I need to calculate both in each case, and use the best one. That seems a little weird and arbitrary to me (to single out just those two events), to be honest, but should I honor that? And should I do the same for Kinch scores for each week?

If I recall correctly, the reason for 3BLD is that competition formats are bo3, not mo3, and the reason for FMC was that many people simply didn't have the opportunity to go to a competition with a mean. I think the intention was to eventually change FMC to mean only.

Based on this I would say that here FMC should be mean only and BLD should be mean or single.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Based on this I would say that here FMC should be mean only and BLD should be mean or single.
Based on this, I completely agree that the Kinch score for the week for FMC should be mean only. But I'm not sure about BLD - should we not treat 3BLD the same as 2BLD, 4BLD, and 5BLD? (I guess the way you worded it, perhaps you were saying we should.) In other words, say that for all 4 of those events, we use either the mean or the best single - whichever one gives the best result.

And that still leaves answering the question for overall Kinch score/ranks for FMC. Does it make sense there to use single or mean, whichever gives the best result (just as Kinch does), since all the old competitions didn't have a mean? I'm thinking the answer to that is yes.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The results posted on the individual competition threads are printed in blue, which is almost unreadable when using the dark theme. Maybe you (or pjk) could tweak the stylesheets so that the results use a lighter shade of blue on the dark theme?
It appears pjk has fixed this issue - let me know if you still find it a problem. Thanks, pjk!

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Since you dont have the problem of so few comps with a FMC mean in the weekly comp, I think making kinch based on the mean is the best and most fair solution. For BLD I think that in general you should only value single for kinch, since it is the kind of result that gets valued by the wca. I think that kinch should value events according to the wca value and not something else.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since you dont have the problem of so few comps with a FMC mean in the weekly comp, I think making kinch based on the mean is the best and most fair solution. For BLD I think that in general you should only value single for kinch, since it is the kind of result that gets valued by the wca. I think that kinch should value events according to the wca value and not something else.
I like this idea overall. But as for overall Kinch scores (historically), I think I favor giving the best of single prior to 2019 or mean starting in 2019, so if you have a better Kinch score as calculated before we started doing averages, that counts, but if you have a better Kinch score as calculated with averages in 2019, that counts. Does that seem reasonable?

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I like this idea overall. But as for overall Kinch scores (historically), I think I favor giving the best of single prior to 2019 or mean starting in 2019, so if you have a better Kinch score as calculated before we started doing averages, that counts, but if you have a better Kinch score as calculated with averages in 2019, that counts. Does that seem reasonable?
You could also just value the mean, and only single, if the person has no mean^^

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could also just value the mean, and only single, if the person has no mean^^
Yes, that would be another reasonable alternative. It does feel like a cleaner solution.

Edit: it turns out that this also makes this much easier for me to implement. If there are no objections, I'm planning to do it this way.

Last edited:

xyzzy

Which theme are you using? Are you using "Dark Theme (cream text)"? I'm pretty sure the one pjk fixed was Speed Solving Dark; Speed Solving Dark looks like this for me.
Oh, I needed to force-reload the page to get it to use the updated stylesheet. Looks fixed to me now.

(… although the fix is pretty funny; using a selector on style="color: Blue" to make it white.)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I think I have now implemented the new approach to Kinch scores; please let me know when you see problems, and I'll try to fix them.

(Note I said "when", not "if"; I have no doubt that was a correct word choice.) :-o

One other interesting change I implemented - I changed it so that the Kinch scores for the weekly results are based on the site records up to that week, instead of the overall historical site records. So some people's weekly Kinch scores went way up for competitions that were many years ago.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For multi, it would be nice to still enter the number of cubes you're attempting and have it display those scrambles, even after clicking 'enter times manually' (in the weekly view tab, not the manual entry tab).

Also, for any event, if I am using the timer and I type ctrl-tab or anything like that to switch tabs/windows, it starts the timer. It's mildly annoying, but not important.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
For multi, it would be nice to still enter the number of cubes you're attempting and have it display those scrambles, even after clicking 'enter times manually' (in the weekly view tab, not the manual entry tab).

Also, for any event, if I am using the timer and I type ctrl-tab or anything like that to switch tabs/windows, it starts the timer. It's mildly annoying, but not important.
I have attempted to fix both of these now. Multi still has a number of problems, but I think I have that much working. Please let me know if you see any problems with them.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try now; I discovered I was doing something that Google Chrome didn't like. I think I have that fixed now.

When I tried it in Google Chrome, it worked, but had a huge empty blue field that filled the page and you had to scroll down to see the results. That's what I fixed - it doesn't do that anymore. :)