• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
How exactly do redi scrambles work? I couldnt find a source for this scrambler and I dont wanna misscramble a fast event.
The best description I could find for the notation is for skewb, not redi, but it should be obvious how it works for redi (just twist the same corners). It's also in Japanese, but the videos are pretty self-explanatory, so I don't think the language matters much:
http://rubikskewb.web.fc2.com/skewb/notation.html

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure Mike has done those himself.
Yes, fortunately I had time to do them before the turn of the year - barely! (I was finishing them up that morning.)

I will be submitting a pull request to the WCA repository with them later this week. All our other unofficial event icons are already in their repository. So if you would like to use them, generally the place to get them is the WCA repository:
https://github.com/cubing/icons

Note that master pyraminx and redi cube are not there yet; I have to submit a pull request, and then hope that they approve it. :)

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
In my personal records it says that I made place 1 in 4bld. Obviously the mean is counted. Henry David's personal records show place 2, this would be his Mo3-rank (off-topic: I' m less than 5s in addition faster than him :cool:). Our "normal" ranks in the weekly-results-list are 5 and 6.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my personal records it says that I made place 1 in 4bld. Obviously the mean is counted. Henry David's personal records show place 2, this would be his Mo3-rank (off-topic: I' m less than 5s in addition faster than him :cool:). Our "normal" ranks in the weekly-results-list are 5 and 6.
Thanks for pointing it out. I hope I have fixed it.
This is just another example of how expanding fewest moves to mean of 3 affected almost EVERYTHING in the software! Lesson: never build in assumptions if you can help it.

Please let me know if you see any other problems.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I know that Eric Lentzon (https://www.speedsolving.com/competitions/showPersonalRecords.php?showRecords=1555) has already been mentioned a few times, because of his suspicious results.

I wanted to suggest to maybe give him a possibility to verify his ability to be able to get such results, and if he fails to delete them (like you do with the current case). I think that with him this is especially important, since he affects the server kinch with his SRs^^

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know that Eric Lentzon (https://www.speedsolving.com/competitions/showPersonalRecords.php?showRecords=1555) has already been mentioned a few times, because of his suspicious results.

I wanted to suggest to maybe give him a possibility to verify his ability to be able to get such results, and if he fails to delete them (like you do with the current case). I think that with him this is especially important, since he affects the server kinch with his SRs^^
There are a few cases like that in the database, including the one mentioned above, jonathan fast (who at least doesn't affect kinch because it's just a crazy single).

I am considering doing something similar to what you suggest. I'm thinking of creating a "quarantine" table. Then I can put suspicious results (by my decision) into the quarantine table, and place a message on the user's account that indicates that user's results have been quarantined, and that the user must contact me to have them reinstated. It seems like that might be the best approach, since the results would never be destroyed, but would be completely removed from the statistics until they have been verified. (Although I might continue to simply delete results that are completely non-serious and ridiculous, like 1 second 7BLD results, for instance.)

As this competition is becoming more popular, we're having more and more problems with suspicious results, and there are significant numbers of participants who don't have matching user accounts here and don't respond to their emails, so it seems like we may have to move to something like this. Does anyone object to my making a change like this?

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I guess you can also just do an autodelete function for a specific set of results, like sub 10 seconds in all events where the WR is 15/20seconds+, which would take a lot of work from you

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks, but no, I intend to continue to handle them manually (as in, only triggered when I choose to do it). But I do hope to have it automated such that I can do it really easily - that should be good enough. And I will soon be implementing a records page, like the WCA has, which will make it easy to spot new people at the top such as those - I'll probably check that page several times a day once it's there, which will make it easy to spot them.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
I saw ichcubegerne's impressive mean in FMC this week and wondered, which place he would be all-time and checked his "current personal records": only 666th? Even NicoFoot is only 657th and there are only 42 listed at all :eek: