• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Caring for your cube (3x3)

Atomixcc

READ BEFORE POSTING
if you have questions about caring for your cube please please them on this thread.

i have been cubing for a wile and have found a out a lot of things about cubes. i have a cube that needs to be tension. how do i do that/ does it have something to do with the screws hidden under the caps on my center pieces? please give me a walk through guide.

Atomixcc

Thank you for the videos. My cube was too loose before but is much better now. Remember that if you have any questions about caring for your cube that write them on this thread

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Should I clean my cube every time the the white dust appears in large quantities? I’m thinking it may prevent my cube from wearing down, as its the white dust being rubbed together and not the plastic. Also, why is it white? I have a black and stickerless cube and they both have the white...

Edit: Also my cube was amazing OOTB, but now it’s somewhat slowed down and can’t perform corner cuts as well or to a higher degree as before. :( Will lube help?

Llewelys

Should I clean my cube every time the the white dust appears in large quantities? I’m thinking it may prevent my cube from wearing down, as its the white dust being rubbed together and not the plastic. Also, why is it white? I have a black and stickerless cube and they both have the white...
I wouldn't worry too much about that, some dust is fine but if you feel like it's slowing down your cube then you can clean it

Edit: Also my cube was amazing OOTB, but now it’s somewhat slowed down and can’t perform corner cuts as well or to a higher degree as before. :( Will lube help?
Lube will definitely help ! Here's Cyotheking's video about lubes if you don't know which one to buy:

Atomix

I want to know to the people how are the moyu and qiyi lubes (the lower viscosity ones) . Are they good enough so that I can stop using Maru, which leaves a white residue.

Osiris

WCA
2017SESM01
Hi! I just bought a DaYan Tengyun a few days ago and I got it yesterday. I noticed that the pieces (mostly the corners) are starting to rattle around whenever I hold the cube or do turns.. Is there any way to fix it? Or should I just return it and get another one? I can still solve decently on it, but I can notice the pieces moving in turns, and it is starting to annoy me.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I lubed my cube for the first time today. It was so easy.
Yeah, for simple application, like squeezing in a couple of drops will work. You can disassemble part of the cube to lube it, for more lube on like the torpedos, and the other bits.
For the core... Take out screw, take out spring, take out washer. Squeeze a drop in the hole. Apply a bit where the washer goes. Put on washer. Apply a bit on that. Put on spring. Lube the head of the screw. Put that in the spring. Screw in. Repeat until all centres are done. This is what awaits me today...

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why would you put lube in the hole where the screw goes? That part isn't supposed to move.

Also: The WR Average 3x3 is 5.53 or something now. (Your signature.)
Don’t forgot about the centerpiece, though. Yes, the screw doesn’t move, but the centerpiece that is attached to the screw will move.