• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Britains Got Talent "Faker"

SpeedcuberJH

WCA
2016HUNT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, history has repeated itself. Does anyone remember that IDIOT who got very far on (Ukrains got talent???) by faking Rubik's cube solves? He literally solved a 7x7 blindfolded (with no inspection) in less time it takes world record holders to do it. Not only that but he didn't even use any known method of solving the 7x7 which was further proof that he was a fake. So yes I will give him credit for memorizing a 7x7 but seriously!!!

If anyone wanted to see the actual video here it is:

So the part about "history repeating itself" is here. This guy has solved 3 Rubik's cube blindfolded, again with NO INSPECTION and has wowed the audiences.

Here's the video:

I think this is a very annoying... Ugh happening??? And I think this should not be done by ANYONE. If your going to audition on a talent show for cubing do something like Rami did!

Here's the video:

-Jetdeboss

BTW anyone going to Connors cube day GOOD LUCK!

hamfaceman

WCA
2015MONC01
Yes, I agree, a lot of these things are fake but are you proposing that the 7x7 solve was real? It's under WR time and he's using an alien method...
The day it becomes these show's job to inform the public of the widely accepted BLD method is the day the world ends. 99.9% of people won't notice these kinds of things and will just say "OMG WOW HE DID A RUBIX WITHOUT SEEING!!1!" And on the topic of the 7BLD solve being fake, of course it is. But it's no big deal. Sure, it might take a chunk out of his reputation in the community, but it's putting cubing in the mainstream. So I don't see why you're so 'annoyed' that we're getting into the public eye.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the part about "history repeating itself" is here. This guy has solved 3 Rubik's cube blindfolded, again with NO INSPECTION and has wowed the audiences.
He could memo them earlier like Maskow did in Poland's version of the show in the second part and in finals, if i'm correct. Define what fake is and it's clear if it is or not a fake.

Xtremecubing

WCA
2015HUGH02
He could memo them earlier like Maskow did in Poland's version of the show in the second part and in finals, if i'm correct. Define what fake is and it's clear if it is or not a fake.

Due to the fact that he did an OH U perm we know he didn't use regular BLD techniques. He could have done speedbld, which is unlikely, or he could have done the same scramble over and over again until he memorized it, which is the most probable theory IMO

Toddyt1

"Fake"

Except he states that he is performing a show of intelligence. Memorising three cubes (regardless of what he's memorising, in the case the set of moves to solve each one) is a show of intelligence.

And he would have done a speed solve on the show if Stephen Mulhern hadn't been dicking about.

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just be glad that cubing is getting exposure, okay?
The point is that this has not much to do with cubing.

A little technical analysis:
Has someone noticed that both the second solve and the additional in the end finished with an H-perm? The second solve seems to finish with random PLL, <R,U,L>-J-perm, Hperm. And in the additional solve we clearly have a cut towards the end (also the audio doesn't match up), but still one can see something like U L' as in the solve before (finish of J-perm) and then the H-perm. I didn't look for more, but I am 90% confident, that those two solves were identical.
When watching it again, I also saw, that the first and second scramble seem to be identical up to a rotation (look at 3:13) and the last move in the first solve was also an M2.
Conclusion: This person's blind method seems to be only ONE memorized solution for 2-handed, and potentially something different for onehanded (not enough data here).

Discussion of the situation:
We had this discussion before with Maxim Chechnev's performance. Here are some of the key aspects for your consideration (as I remember them):
  • It is possible to impress an audience without faking anything. E.g. Rami Sbahi and Simon Westlund did this. Simon Westlund even won Sweden's talent show. (I don't know about Rami though).
  • This is a fraud, since he makes people believe, that the cubes were randomly scrambled and that the performance could be repeated similarly with different scrambles, which is a lie.
  • This is not comparable to a magic show, because the key aspect of a magic show is an illusion, i.e. the audience knows (little children excluded), that the magician did not really make a dove appear out of nothing. His talent is apparently to solve Rubik's cubes blind, the magician's talent is to make one believe he accomplished something physically impossible. The magician succeeds at this. This guy can however not really solve any Rubik's cube blind in a similar setting.
  • It DOES matter. Performances like this degrade the hours of hard work that honest speedcubers have put into their hobby. A conversation like this might happen in the future:
Person: So you can solve the Rubik's cube?
Speedcuber: Yeah.
Person: How long does it take you?
Speedcuber: Well maybe 15-20 seconds... It depends
Person: Ha, that's nothing. You know there was a guy on TV, who did it blind in that time.
Speedcuber: Oh, you mean XY? You know, this performance was fake, right?
Person: Come on, you're simply jealous, etc...
and suddenly the speedcuber is the dumb guy.​
This was maybe all, that I have to contribute.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
This is the same guy who was part of the group of three on Romania's Got Talent who solved cubes selected from 100 scrambles. They were quite open afterwards that all 100 were variations on the same scramble, so I'm pretty sure that this is the same idea.

Regarding the idea that this degrades all of the work that honest speedcubers have put into their hobbies... That's ridiculous. I've put those hours in because I enjoy it. if you're putting those hours in purely for recognition from others, then that's really sad.

Again, this is a rehearsed act for a show, and it creates interest in cubing from the general public, which in my opinion is a very good thing. The fact that people are somehow offended by that is just silly.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
Third cube is almost the same. Only down center and down right differ from first 2 cubes. He starts all solves with a D' move, this move reveals same faces on third cube as on the first two cubes (relative to colors on the visible face). Probably most of the solve is the same, with some little difference somewhere.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is the same guy who was part of the group of three on Romania's Got Talent who solved cubes selected from 100 scrambles. They were quite open afterwards that all 100 were variations on the same scramble, so I'm pretty sure that this is the same idea.

Regarding the idea that this degrades all of the work that honest speedcubers have put into their hobbies... That's ridiculous. I've put those hours in because I enjoy it. if you're putting those hours in purely for recognition from others, then that's really sad.

Again, this is a rehearsed act for a show, and it creates interest in cubing from the general public, which in my opinion is a very good thing. The fact that people are somehow offended by that is just silly.
i do agree that you should be doing it for fun rather than recognition, however, this
Person: So you can solve the Rubik's cube?
Speedcuber: Yeah.
Person: How long does it take you?
Speedcuber: Well maybe 15-20 seconds... It depends
Person: Ha, that's nothing. You know there was a guy on TV, who did it blind in that time.
Speedcuber: Oh, you mean XY? You know, this performance was fake, right?
Person: Come on, you're simply jealous, etc...
can get very, very annoying.

CuBouz

I don't think his intention was "blind/speed solving" as we define it in the first place so I don't see much point in criticizing him for not doing it in accordance with WCA regulations (although it would have been nice if he had.)

Toddyt1

I don't think his intention was "blind/speed solving" as we define it in the first place so I don't see much point in criticizing him for not doing it in accordance with WCA regulations (although it would have been nice if he had.)
The acts are time limited and wouldn't have been very interesting if he had.

Toddyt1

You may not understand but no one would wan't to sit through a Legitimate 3/3 Mbld as It takes quite a bit of time (unless your really fast) and you may mess up as well.

Though, you could argue that he could've pre-memorised the cubes and then used conventional blind solving methods. They can be executed pretty quickly.

Still think being mad about this is stupid.

SpeedCuber71

WCA
2014BHAT09
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, he is making cubing gain more popularity but HE is also gaining it. He is being praised and being viewed by millions of people online. Don't you think he shouldn't get all this for basically nothing? Yeah yeah he prepared an act it takes courage he put work into it blah blah blah cubing is not a F*cking illusion like magic. Its gotta be real. Magicians master illusion and faking. Not cubers. They practice sitting at home to get better while some other random cuber puts a tiny bit of effort and does a couple of algorithms on 3 cubes on live TV.

This is my solution - Make someone else (you could call the commentators who introduce the contestants, or even make judges do it after kinda doing it yourself as they won't waste time) scramble the puzzles without you looking at the start of your act/ performance,
Seriously? It's an act performed on stage for an audience. If the fact that an act is fake bothers you, you probably shouldn't be watching TV.
Cubing is not something that is supposed to be faked like magic and isn't as popular as stuff like WWE that faking it won't matter. The communtiy needs to be presented/ popularised with legit stuff. Otherwise we will have more of those non-cbers saying "hey! you're just following a pattern You are cheating" etc.