• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Would you be interested in joining a blindfolded cubing focused discord?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, hope you are keeping safe in these times.
I'm in the works of setting up a discord focused on the blind events, and non WCA blind events as well. The goal of the discord is to create a friendly, constructive environment for cubers to discuss the art of blindsolving. I am aware that this might not be a successful project, as blindfolded events are not super popular, but I will try and see if this can get a bunch of people more interested, or more actively interested in these events.
If you are looking to start out with blind, or to get in contact with more people who like the blind events, I believe this could be the place for you.

Before I can 'launch' this server, I need to finish up some things around bots, roles and channels. I am managing pretty alright, but if anyone is interested in helping out, feel free to contact me through DM on this forum, I would appreciate some help.

Happy cubing!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
There is a BLD channel on the Speedsolving.com Discord server already:
Is there any benefit to creating a new server? Is there anything the current server can improve on to make it more useful for you?

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
There is a BLD channel on the Speedsolving.com Discord server already:
Is there any benefit to creating a new server? Is there anything the current server can improve on to make it more useful for you?

I think the main aspect is having separate channels for different Blind events.

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
pjk is right, there isn't really any good reason. Not many people will join. And adding more channels on the SS discord won't help, there is already too little talk on the blind channel. Plan is to just focus more talk on that channel in hope of growth.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I think the main aspect is having separate channels for different Blind events.
In the chat, the mods can add channels you request, if they will be used. The issue with creating new channel is that if they aren't used, it is wasted. Same with new Discord channels. It's better to keep everything in 1 server rather than 10.

WCA
2017OWEN01
I think it could be good as there are lots of BLDers who could benefit from a server with specific channels and if there are more active people on it people would be more likely to join

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I think it could be good as there are lots of BLDers who could benefit from a server with specific channels and if there are more active people on it people would be more likely to join
Another idea, if there is enough interest: create a category on the Discord for BLD and then have various BLD channels in it. What do you think about that?

By the way, if you guys want to go ahead with the BLD server, it's completely up to you, but I'd advise trying to integrate into an existing popular server instead of creating yet another cubing discord.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
pjk is right, there isn't really any good reason. Not many people will join. And adding more channels on the SS discord won't help, there is already too little talk on the blind channel. Plan is to just focus more talk on that channel in hope of growth.
I would like to talk more about 3BLD, but you are on another plane of existence when it comes to BLD solving than I am. It would be pretty onesided conversation of me asking how and you replying with instructions. :D Perhaps it would be an idea to gather more advanced BLD solves to the Discord and see if you can exchange ideas with them on the BLD channel. If interest picks up and discussions increase, we can consider what pjk said and add more channels. I'd like to see Stanley, Graham, Jack, Jake, Jeff, Shivam and anyone else I missed.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I would like to talk more about 3BLD, but you are on another plane of existence when it comes to BLD solving than I am. It would be pretty onesided conversation of me asking how and you replying with instructions. :D Perhaps it would be an idea to gather more advanced BLD solves to the Discord and see if you can exchange ideas with them on the BLD channel. If interest picks up and discussions increase, we can consider what pjk said and add more channels. I'd like to see Stanley, Graham, Jack, Jake, Jeff, Shivam and anyone else I missed.
Ruud, what do you think about potentially adding a BLD category to the channel with various channels per the suggestions from the BLD community here? It could be worth trying.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ruud, what do you think about potentially adding a BLD category to the channel with various channels per the suggestions from the BLD community here? It could be worth trying.
If the discussion on the BLD channel warrants adding more channels, we can add more channels. We recently weeded out some obsolete channels, so before adding more I'd like to see more activity on the existing ones.

WCA
2017OWEN01
I think a lot of people ignore the speedsolving discord because there are Lots of differ channels many of which aren’t relevan to them. i think this would mean a bld specific discord would have more activity, and I’m basing this off rms and zms v the corresponding channels