• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BLD FAQ (Do yourself a favor and read this)

Maskow

WCA
2011KOWA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can't I use numbers though?

You can, but it's bad because no letter pairs.

Damn it, I didn't know that, maybe with letter pairs instead of my numbers and random images I will be faster xD
I my opinion letter pairs aren't optimal at all. Maybe it's not bad but it isn't the only one way to be very fast.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Damn it, I didn't know that, maybe with letter pairs instead of my numbers and random images I will be faster xD
I my opinion letter pairs aren't optimal at all. Maybe it's not bad but it isn't the only one way to be very fast.

Are your images completely random? Like (this is from your video) is there any reason that "12" would be "tap dancing"?

Also, do you use audio loops?

Maybe the op should tell you to use any system that encodes at least two targets to one image. It's the systems that use, like, three letters to encode one corner target that suck.

But then again, that might overcomplicate a FAQ that's meant for beginners.

Last edited:

GLgamer10

WCA
2014LUND02
nice tutorial. I just started blindfolded yesterday, so we will see how this works out. I'm still not getting everything. Like how you memorize the orientation of the piece and be able to do the set up moves correctly in order to place it in the correct place with the right orientation. It's going to take some time.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lols, I've had the AUF question at least twice so far.

EDIT: I've also had "Feliks can see ahead to the 2nd F2L pair, why cant you just look ahead to to PLL?" as a genuine question

it will be a bad day for all bld cubers when some really good cubers start seeing the pll.bld is finished them.we will have to migrate to higher cubes 4x4,5x5 or get some rank in fmc.my vote is for introducing 4x4 fmc as its god number is still not figured out.yo

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I recently started learning bld and use OP for corners, and (idk how it's called) something similar with T perms for edges. Would you say it's wasted to learn and train that considering M2 is so much faster and immediately move on to M2?

MatejMuzatko

WCA
2013MUAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I recently started learning bld and use OP for corners, and (idk how it's called) something similar with T perms for edges. Would you say it's wasted to learn and train that considering M2 is so much faster and immediately move on to M2?

Some people say it's waste of time, but I think it's good to get the principles down first, because it's much easier than M2 I think... And if you know CFOP with full PLL, you don't have to learn more algs for now ;-) Then you'll know how it works and will move onto M2 much more easily...
That's just my opinion though

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01

M2 is almost as easy as OP and saves a c**pton of moves. So yeah I would recommend learning M2 asap. Of course it's not a total waste of time but IMO it's not really all that efficient practise either if you want to get fast as quickly as possible...

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I found learning M2 far too tricky at first so went for full OP until I felt more comfortable. Whenever you do start on M2 try to learn more advanced set ups as early as you can. It's not much harder and saves a lot of time and effort in solves.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
M2 is almost as easy as OP and saves a c**pton of moves. So yeah I would recommend learning M2 asap. Of course it's not a total waste of time but IMO it's not really all that efficient practise either if you want to get fast as quickly as possible...

Personally I found learning M2 far too tricky at first so went for full OP until I felt more comfortable. Whenever you do start on M2 try to learn more advanced set ups as early as you can. It's not much harder and saves a lot of time and effort in solves.

I find M2 to be very confusing. the whole thing about flipping the M slice and how stuff ends up on the opposite side is almost impossible for me to understand. M2 isnt necessary, and it probably isnt right for some people.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I find M2 to be very confusing. the whole thing about flipping the M slice and how stuff ends up on the opposite side is almost impossible for me to understand.
I always found M2 to be essentially same as op but instead of t-perm you only do M2.

The targets ending on the opposite side only happens for 2 of the pieces and it is easy to know if it has happened because most people memo in pairs anyway so just check if you are at first or lasta letter of the pair. All you need to memorize for this are 4 algs (2 of which are 4 move long and you probably know already) and that uf <---> db and fu <--> bd if you have done an odd number of targets) :)

M2 isnt necessary, and it probably isnt right for some people.
Yeah that's true. No method is suitable for everyone I believe :). Turbo is just as viable method than M2 imo. You just need a couple of algs more. Or you could go straight to comms (but if you find understanding M2 hard that probably isn't for you at this point...)

But at some point everyone who wants to get fast needs to switch away from op anyway. Op is just wayyyyy too many moves to be fast with...