• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best spring swap mods

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really. That's actually really cool. And unexpected.
I think the Fangshi springs are longer and softer. Putting them in the Zhanchi effectively would make it looser but less poppable, at the expense of corner cutting.
Adding washers, if my brain isn't broken, would just increase their softness relative to the other springs. Or something like that.
Wait what.

*Brain explodes

Seriously though I need to give some thought into springs in cubes.

KonKaii

I just made a video on a cool Fangshi Spring Swap mod.

I just tried your mod Michael (yeah i know its 1 in the morning....turkey crazy) - personally I didn't like it. The cube had almost no friction and with my beginner cubing speeds - catastrophy. hahaha
It would work well for fast solvers though.

Besides that, I switched the cores from the two while doing this mod because the threading is so tight on the FS core.
Also found that the Wittwo can take a beating...changing the cores/springs/etc - made no difference to the feel of the puzzle whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just tried your mod Michael (yeah i know its 1 in the morning....turkey crazy) - personally I didn't like it. The cube had almost no friction and with my beginner cubing speeds - catastrophy. hahaha
It would work well for fast solvers though.

Besides that, I switched the cores from the two while doing this mod because the threading is so tight on the FS core.
Also found that the Wittwo can take a beating...changing the cores/springs/etc - made no difference to the feel of the puzzle whatsoever.

I agree with you and I have that same feeling with mine also.

gokkar

I just put my WeiSu soft springs in my Dayan 2x2. Absolutely insane. It can be a bit uncontrollable, but I was able to fix this with some extra lube. Speed, stability, pop resistance, and corner cutting all improved significantly on this already incredible cube. If anyone else wants to try this mod, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lagom

Maru springs are just sliiightly softer than Dayan springs, and putting them in a Zhanchi reduces the friction from the pressure just a little bit, making it a tad faster but doesnt affect popping or corner cutting.

gokkar

How do the Weisu soft springs change a Weisu's performance? I'd rather not take my main 4x4 and 2x2 apart to do the swap mod unless I know it's great.

GnaCuber

How does a Weisu work with Dayan springs? Is it better than the soft/stock springs? Has anyone tried it yet?

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel

GnaCuber

I don't know; I haven't tried them. But, if the tensions are inbetween that of the standard WeiSu springs and the Dayans then it's definitely worth getting.
Ok, so the Dayan springs are softer than the standard Moyu ones? (Btw Dayan springs are the one that comes in the standard 57mm cubes like the Zhanchi?)

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Evan Wright

WCA
2012WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I put 6x6 springs in my 7x7 and now there is very little turning resistance. It is a lot better then before, and I thought my 7x7 was good. You are not crazy, and I would recommend this mod to anyone.