• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best spring swap mods

skippykev

There has been word that SS6x6 springs in a regular size SS7x7 is beyond amazingness, for lack of a better term. No word on SS6x6 springs in mini SS7x7?

shadyb

Honestly, the Shengshou Mini 7x7 with Dayan springs sucked for me. Layers were never even, and I had to basically tighten it all the way to stop popping, so it was horrible turning and was just like having no springs in at all. Logically, something's telling me Aofu springs, washers AND screws would improve this puzzle a lot. The stock screws suck, but the stock springs are not worse than the Dayan springs.

The Moyu Aoshi on the other hand, improved greatly with Shengshou 5x5 springs. The puzzle feels more forgiving in regards to misaligned layers and doesn't seem to get that nasty Aoshi lockup we've all come to hate.

Anyone with Aofu hardware and a SS Mini 7x7 would be my hero, and I'm sure the hero of many others here, if they could make a video of that combination.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Dayan spring in the mini AoSu. Makes it much faster although a little locky based on my limited experience and bad turning.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Dayan spring in the mini AoSu. Makes it much faster although a little locky based on my limited experience and bad turning.

I tried this before and it almost literally acted like I was turning a sponge with padlocks. It was super super unstable and locky.
There has been word that SS6x6 springs in a regular size SS7x7 is beyond amazingness, for lack of a better term. No word on SS6x6 springs in mini SS7x7?

Almost certain the springs are identical in mini SS 7x7 and SS 6x6

Last edited:
WCA
2014BLOC01
I put Dayan Springs in an Aolong v2.

Results: Extremely smooth cube, but very slow. I sped it up with lubicle speedy, but now it feels overlubed. I'm going to break it in a bit more, I think it might become my new BLD main.

Matt Rankin

I don't know if this technically is a spring swap, but putting two gans357 springs(2 per side) in the puzzle makes it a ton more stable feeling and you don't lose any speed or corner cutting. Great thing to do if you felt like the cube was a little to flimsy before.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I figured I would post it here instead of making a new thread.

I have a 55mm Zhanchi. It feels great, but the springs feel VERY tight. I believe they are the same springs that are in the 57mm and because of that they seem slightly too big of the cube. If I loosen the tensions the cube pops easily. The best way i can explain it is that if you move a corner away it snaps back with incredible force. Aside from trimming the springs themselves are there soft Dayan springs, or ones that you would recommend getting that TheCubicle sells?

WCA
2014BLOC01
I figured I would post it here instead of making a new thread.

I have a 55mm Zhanchi. It feels great, but the springs feel VERY tight. I believe they are the same springs that are in the 57mm and because of that they seem slightly too big of the cube. If I loosen the tensions the cube pops easily. The best way i can explain it is that if you move a corner away it snaps back with incredible force. Aside from trimming the springs themselves are there soft Dayan springs, or ones that you would recommend getting that TheCubicle sells?

I used Fangshi springs, I can keep it on unpoppable tensions and it still feels somewhat loose, though corner cutting isn't very good.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Fangshi springs, I can keep it on unpoppable tensions and it still feels somewhat loose, though corner cutting isn't very good.

That what what I was thinking of going to. I'm having a bit of catching on some internal pieces. I removed flashing but it is still there slightly. Does a spring swap on this tend to help that at all with catching?

WCA
2014BLOC01
That what what I was thinking of going to. I'm having a bit of catching on some internal pieces. I removed flashing but it is still there slightly. Does a spring swap on this tend to help that at all with catching?

I modded mine very heavily, and there is basically no catching any more. I have no idea what the spring swap would be like without the mod.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I decided to just sand the pieces down a bit more where it looked like it was catching. I ended up shooting a spring across the room and cannot find it. The only cube I didn't care to lose was my 2x2 SS Aurora. I took the springs out of the Aurora and put it in the Zhanchi. It because the fastest cube in the world, but couldn't cut any corners. I took the springs out and stretched them to almost double the length. Now they feel just a bit lighter than the original Zhanchi springs.... which is what I was hoping for in the beginning. A bit of a roundabout method, but it worked.

CubeCow

I call it the Blazing Yulong. It's not too much better, but the larger springs look nicer and just seem to fit better (can'lt say much about stats because ther are the onlyt two cubes I've had)

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Weilong springs in a Cyclone Boys 57mm makes it ridiculously fast. Also makes a kind of loose-ish feeling, but it's stable enough once you get used to it and makes it much harder to pop.
(One of the shorter/softer spring cases, since the stock CB springs are really stiff and pretty long)

MrMan

I just put Shuangren springs in my Aolong, Oh yeah !
All the sluginess and slowness are gone, it's a bit loose though but I love it.