• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Belief in evolution?

Do you believe in evolution?

• Total voters
YouTube
MalusDB91
It is our own self absorbed definition of the Universe that makes us feel a need for it to have a start and a beginning. I always thought physicists were exceptionally wooly at defining our universe.

I think the best way to explain it in laymans terms is to, for one, eradicate the idea that the universe had to have a beginning or an end. The universe THAT WE KNOW had an inception but that is not to say that it hasn't existed before this point as a (possibly) quite different entity. Space, in the truest sense of the word, is the absence of anything, and our Universe is somewhat like a bubble expanding into it.

Now to go further you need to understand entropy, that is, that all systems degrade over time essentially. The degradation is paralleled by the apparent expansion of "our" universe. At some point in its timeline, on a scale almost impossible to imagine in terms of time and space, the expansion will either cease, or the Universe will dissipate entirely into effectively space populated by sparse amounts of matter.

Now I am of the opinion that a continous expansion/contraction occurs, almost with a predictablity that could be graphed and compared to the resonance of a sine wave. The universe has had many rebirths, we just happen to exist in this one. Whether it is due to an omnipotent being that it came to exist (as you may freely believe) or it has been for ever (remember that our constrictions of time need not apply to the Universe, just because we are finite doens't mean we can claim all things are so) the simple fact is that progression of complexity on our little rock in the form of living things has an extremely traceable timeline.

You can deny evolution, but until you can prove there is a more realistic alternative, you are literally just spouting ideas. Science and Religion can mix, just not the way religious people seem willing to accept it.

Last edited:
WCA
2012BIER01
Na, actually it's at least 75% of people that think evolutionary theory is up for "belief" that are idiots.
I'm pretty sure everybody here believes in evolution. But I don't think the thread meant evolution. As you yourself pointed out you thought it was a "belief in evolution vs. belief in creationism" which is also not quite accurate since I think most creationists believe in evolution. I think the real question is about the origin of species. I think what is trying to be asked is more of a belief in the hypothesis of the evolutionary history of life (presented here) vs. belief in creationism.

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
0702Rocky
Actually, atheism is quite a strong belief. You have to believe with certainty that there is no God or afterlife. That's actually a pretty strong belief considering all the questions that leaves. Agnostic would be non believing
Agnostic's believe that there is a possibility that their is a God or an afterlife, but think that it is a small chance.

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Actually, atheism is quite a strong belief. You have to believe with certainty that there is no God or afterlife. That's actually a pretty strong belief considering all the questions that leaves. Agnostic would be non believing
Er, no. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a deity. There's no requirement to believe anything with any kind of certainty.

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
DeeDubbCubing
Er, no. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a deity. There's no requirement to believe anything with any kind of certainty.
It depends on your definition I suppose, but Merriam Webster says: "Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial."

Agnostic's believe that there is a possibility that their is a God or an afterlife, but think that it is a small chance.
Agnosticism, in its purest form, is simply a belief that the answer is unknowable. This is what I adhere to. There's no way of knowing, so why bother debating it? Why bother telling someone else that you are right and they are wrong? Let people believe what they want to, as long as your belief doesn't impact me or people I care about, I have no problem.

But, agnosticism has also been defined as people who don't believe or disbelieve in God. It's not necessarily about a small or large chance either way.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
It's the one person who insists on arguing over semantics who is an idiot.
Lol <3 you too

but srsly, it isn't just about semantics. You wouldn't say "I believe 3+4=7". You wouldn't say "I believe when I let go of this rock it wall move in a direction towards the ground without the assistance of any animate being". These are just facts, and it doesn't make sense to say it. In the same way you don't believe in a scientific theory, you either support it or you don't (or parts of it).

Belief only applies to things we can't know or find out (at least given current levels of knowledge and technological limitations).

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
0702Rocky
It depends on your definition I suppose, but Merriam Webster says: "Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial."

Agnosticism, in its purest form, is simply a belief that the answer is unknowable. This is what I adhere to. There's no way of knowing, so why bother debating it? Why bother telling someone else that you are right and they are wrong? Let people believe what they want to, as long as your belief doesn't impact me or people I care about, I have no problem.

But, agnosticism has also been defined as people who don't believe or disbelieve in God. It's not necessarily about a small or large chance either way.
I completely agree with your views about how people should approach it. I consider myself to be agnostic, and I try to never argue or debate with people, because you are right, there is no way of knowing. If they begin to argue with my views i will argue back however.