• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Belief in evolution?

Do you believe in evolution?

• Total voters

WhatIsRubiks

I just want to know how many speedcubers believe in evolution?. There are a lot of people who don't believe. Most of the time, it's people who don't understand that humans and apes shared a common ancestor.

Katt Williams for example, he uses the "how are there apes now?" argument.

WinterCub3r

im not going to state my belifes, because this could quickly turn into a debate that is going to run itself into the ground faster then feliks and matts solving a rubiks cube.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hang on, this thread is actually serious? I was totally expecting a joke or a surprise challenge or something. How can you "believe" in evolution?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
If you have looked at the evidence then you should believe in evolution.

Alternatively you could ignore all the evidence and add up the ages of the people in the bible to get to the conclusion that the world is 6,000 years old.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Katt Williams for example, he uses the "how are there apes now?" argument.
They evolved differently to humans. A species doesn't just continue evolving in one line. That's one of the worst arguments I've seen.
I think the implication is that evolution is simply a fact, so there's no real "belief". It's like believing that 2+2=4. It's just a fact, so you aren't really "believing" in anything. Just knowing a fact is true.
For people who believe what the bible says is entirely true, they may not see evolution as a fact; they would think that God created all animals 6000 years ago.

Haxagon

While I also believe in evolution, there are people out there with different view points. Trying to convince some people that evolution is real is like trying to convince people, such as myself, into believing in creationism. People will always have strong beliefs.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, is this true? I understand that in third-world countries lacking an education system this can happen, but assuming we are not considering those cases, this scares me. Don't they teach the evolution theory at school? It's like believing the Earth is flat.
Yes, most country's schools teach the theory of evolution, however it directly contradicts most major religions. Therefore, many people still don't believe in evolution, because their parents raised them to believe in their religion. It is just a matter of thinking about the evidence, and finding what you believe, whether that be in some sort of a God, a spaghetti monster on pluto, or evolution.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Believe in? What do you mean by "belief"?
I kinda consider evolution to be the best possible idea of our existence so far. But for me the word "belief" seems to have an element of faith in it. And it's rather that for convenience I go by it but it's certainly possible it's wrong.

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
To start out, I do not believe in evolution. I am a Christian.

My first question: if evolution is true, how did matter come into existence? Surely there was something that started it all.
I'm not saying I have all the answers (neither does science), I'm just curious in what you guys think.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel