• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Because pretty much every other method requires that you have inspection before 3x3 stage which you can't get on those cubes. But also, because most big cube methods involve solving a white cross which is also not good if you use other methods.

I agree. You could say that methods like Petrus and Roux work for 5x5+ if you use redux, but for 4x4 with Yau you automatically make a cross. And don't even talk about ZZ without inspection...

brododragon

I agree. You could say that methods like Petrus and Roux work for 5x5+ if you use redux, but for 4x4 with Yau you automatically make a cross. And don't even talk about ZZ without inspection...
For you, you would just be planning EO for 10 minutes in the middle of a solve.

ketchupcuber

i really think the quotes from the best needs changing on cfop it literally says cfops worse than roux if you want a good quote promoting cfop just ask feliks or max. i think this thread is biased i’m not saying cfop is better just that this thread should have an equal representation of each method this is very misleading for beginners

Hazel

Premium Member
i really think the quotes from the best needs changing on cfop it literally says cfops worse than roux if you want a good quote promoting cfop just ask feliks or max. i think this thread is biased i’m not saying cfop is better just that this thread should have an equal representation of each method this is very misleading for beginners
The creator of this thread hasn't been on the forum in 4 years, so it probably won't happen.
(Also this is my 1,400th post, yay)

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP doesn't have a ton of algorithms I don't get why everyone says it does. Also, why does the original post say that you should only use CFOP if you like learning algorithms and you like to use the most popular method. I think this whole place is extremely biased against CFOP, no one takes into account that other methods are slow for 4x4 and up.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
CFOP doesn't have a ton of algorithms I don't get why everyone says it does. Also, why does the original post say that you should only use CFOP if you like learning algorithms and you like to use the most popular method. I think this whole place is extremely biased against CFOP, no one takes into account that other methods are slow for 4x4 and up.

I mean, full CFOP has around 80 algs, which is a lot more than Roux and COLL-EPLL Petrus needs. But like advanced Petrus and ZZ use ZBLL....

Would people like a new one to be written, keeping the majority of the things the same just with some small changes to stuff?

ketchupcuber

I mean, full CFOP has around 80 algs, which is a lot more than Roux and COLL-EPLL Petrus needs. But like advanced Petrus and ZZ use ZBLL....

Would people like a new one to be written, keeping the majority of the things the same just with some small changes to stuff?
that would be great but please give an equal representation of each method to limit arguments
thanks

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'll start working on an updated version of this guide if no one is opposed. The majority of it will be taken from this one, just with some stuff added and hopefully made unbiased. Any specific requests?

(Also I will make sure to let everyone know that Ickathu made the original and did most of the work)