• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Baltimore Spring 2010

Will you attend this competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
all you would have to do to prevent cheating with the scrambling table is check to make sure the scramble is good before calling the competitor's name.

If a competitor came up with a scrambled cube and put it under instead of on top of his scorecard and nobody caught it, this wouldn't really help.

On a separate note, let all your judges know: scrambled cubes go under scorecards. Solved cubes go on top of scorecards. Very simple system which some people unfortunately haven't caught on to.

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
I think the location where competitors set down their cubes for the first time and where cubes are coming and going from and to the scrambling table needs to be two different locations.

Let's try to implement this in the future.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ugh, Shane... I hope there is a really good explanation for that 13. A really good explanation.
doesn't seem like it :/

facebook messaging said:
Sarah Strong April 20 at 10:36pm
Hello,
I heard that you got a 13 second solve at Baltimore. Congratulations! That's really fast!
Was it a lucky solve? What method do you use to solve the cube?
Thanks.

Shane Rowland April 21 at 3:03am
Hi, Sarah! :)

I just got lucky solve and need to more practice. Because my avg is bad with pop out and messed up. :(
I learn from Speedcubing101.com
You can check it out that website. :)
I know you really pretty fastest than me do lol.

Welcome, Shane

tsirhce1

WCA
2010PHIL01
Hello all,

I am Christopher Phillips who managed to pull a 30-move solve FMC in that competition.

I can tell you I was doing honest work when I did this event. This was my first time doing the event, and Shane was only telling me the rules as I am not experienced in various competitions yet. I've only played 2x2, 3x3, 3x3 OH, 4x4, pyraminx, and magic up til this competition.

The method I used to solve the FMC was clearly Petrus, as my speedsolves are all Petrus. I was at second, a Fridrich user but I eventually came to dislike that method and found Petrus much more efficient. Apparently, in FMC you need to be extremely efficient. So basically, block-building was the ideal strategy along with OLL and PLL. In this particular solve, I managed to skip OLL,and then did a PLL which equalled into 30 moves.

Some of you may ask why I have an average of 50 seconds speedsolving the 3x3. It is true that I could have gone lower, in fact my personal best was 30 seconds and I should have averaged 40 seconds but I did not. When I speedsolve, I try to look for optimal moves but I tend to end up missing some ideal moves due to the fact I still feel tense from being watched by a judge. My hands are not that fast either compared to most of you guys, which means I still have a lot of practice turning the cube quickly (without popping the cubies, even! Or I might need a really good cube... )

Just because I lack speed does NOT certify that I lack the ability to optimize my solves. I have been practicing fewest moves on my own.

If you all are wondering, Shane only showed me how to do the Fridrich method and that was where I eventually picked up on speedcubing. I came to favor Petrus much more than Fridrich.

If you guys have any question about me, or even my disability, please feel free to PM me.

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
all you would have to do to prevent cheating with the scrambling table is check to make sure the scramble is good before calling the competitor's name.

If a competitor came up with a scrambled cube and put it under instead of on top of his scorecard and nobody caught it, this wouldn't really help.

On a separate note, let all your judges know: scrambled cubes go under scorecards. Solved cubes go on top of scorecards. Very simple system which some people unfortunately haven't caught on to.

I think he meant that when the cubes are underneath, and the judge picks it up, the judge compares it with a diagram of what the scrambled cube should look like before bringing it to the competitor to solve. If they don't match, it'll be put back on top to be re-scrambled.

ErikJ

WCA
2007JOHN02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think he meant that when the cubes are underneath, and the judge picks it up, the judge compares it with a diagram of what the scrambled cube should look like before bringing it to the competitor to solve. If they don't match, it'll be put back on top to be re-scrambled.

yes.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Hm, that's an interesting idea. It would slow down competitions a lot (especially if the scramblers make mistakes) but it would definitely prevent scenarios like this.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Hm, that's an interesting idea. It would slow down competitions a lot (especially if the scramblers make mistakes) but it would definitely prevent scenarios like this.

I think the seperate area for scrambling and bringing up your cube makes more sense in that it will save more time. When you consider how many judges aren't familiar with cubes it would be take an inordinate amount of time to follow this suggestion, imo.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
facebook messaging said:
I learn from Speedcubing101.com
You can check it out that website. :)

Apparently I'm the secret to his success. :p

Hello all,

I am Christopher Phillips who managed to pull a 30-move solve FMC in that competition.

...explanation

Just because I lack speed does NOT certify that I lack the ability to optimize my solves. I have been practicing fewest moves on my own.

That sounds pretty legit to me, Chris. Congrats! However, I don't think we're going to get anywhere near as good an explanation for Shane's 13.
Out of curiosity, Chris, do you think Shane's 13 second solve was as honest as your FMC solution?

E

Ethan Rosen

I see a major efficiency issue here. This shouldn't be a problem on 3x3, but how often do you think there's a round of 5x5 where every single scramble is perfect?

cuBerBruce

WCA
2006NORS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello all,

I can tell you I was doing honest work when I did this event. This was my first time doing the event, and Shane was only telling me the rules as I am not experienced in various competitions yet. I've only played 2x2, 3x3, 3x3 OH, 4x4, pyraminx, and magic up til this competition.

The method I used to solve the FMC was clearly Petrus, as my speedsolves are all Petrus. I was at second, a Fridrich user but I eventually came to dislike that method and found Petrus much more efficient. Apparently, in FMC you need to be extremely efficient. So basically, block-building was the ideal strategy along with OLL and PLL. In this particular solve, I managed to skip OLL,and then did a PLL which equalled into 30 moves.

Some of you may ask why I have an average of 50 seconds speedsolving the 3x3. It is true that I could have gone lower, in fact my personal best was 30 seconds and I should have averaged 40 seconds but I did not. When I speedsolve, I try to look for optimal moves but I tend to end up missing some ideal moves due to the fact I still feel tense from being watched by a judge. My hands are not that fast either compared to most of you guys, which means I still have a lot of practice turning the cube quickly (without popping the cubies, even! Or I might need a really good cube... )

I thought the comment earlier about it being hard to believe someone at Christopher's speedsolving speed could get a 30-move solution was a bit ridiculous. I'm at about the same speed for speedsolving and I've gotten 33-34 move solutions on online FMC competitions, and as low as 24 moves with more than 1 hour allowed. It's very possible to be good at fewest moves solving without being speedy.

And it's quite possible for someone only knowing Petrus and basic last layer algs could come up with a really short solution. Consider this solution below (found by computer, I admit).

Scramble (Baltimore Spring 2010): D2 L2 D2 U2 L F2 R B2 U L U L2 F' D' U L' B F' L'
Solution:
2x2x2: R' D R' B
2x2x3: B' R B' R D2 R2 B2
Orient Edges: F2 R U' R'
F2L + LL 2x2x1: F2 U' F' U' F2
OLL + PLL skip: B L F' L' B' L F L'

The solution is 24 moves after cancellations. The 2x2x2 is temporarily broken up in expanding to a 2x2x3 (unlike traditional Petrus solving), but the 2x2x3 only takes a total of 7 moves (note the cancellations), so I don't know if it's too much of a stretch for someone to find that. The rest of the solve has nothing unusual (except a great deal of luck).

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
I should have put a stop to this conversation a long time ago. The public discussion of the events that happened at Baltimore unfortunately has affected the internal investigation by the WCA and the organizers.

In the future, when stuff like this happens, talk about it one-on-one with the organizers, or by a means which is invite only and not completely public.

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, John, you didn't record this? Really? The kid recording looks and seems so much like you though :p

Apparently I'm "the same guy from the DC open" and I'm "killer" and "insane"? Cool.

The laugh was Kristoffer, right?

I want to see my last solve, and my subsequent happiness. Not my fourth solve, though.

Last edited: