• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Axis Cube Discussion and Help Thread

shvartz

I joined the site just to say that I also encountered a single center twisted 90 degrees like in the photo and this happened with no cube disassembly. It happened when I tried to solve the cube into a specific color pattern. I did not know how to solve the cube with one center twisted like that and so I just started from the beginning and the cube got solved just fine. Maybe it is a special case that can appear in an axis cube. Just try using regular 3x3 beginners method from the start (maybe re-scramble the cube) and it should solve fine. Good luck.

late edit: on a second thought, it could be that this situation is possible only when the cube is not in its default state. Trying to solve it into a specific color pattern could allow for such a case. But if you get this case with the cube in its original state, that could be a result of disassembly.

Last edited:

Euler

Thanks for the tips, everybody... Turns out the piece was easy to remove and replace correctly! Thanks again :)

I bought around one month ago, saw bunch of youtube videos, tried solving it by myself, Still I'm not able to solve it.... Please help... That cube haunts me...

Last edited:

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
The key to figuring it out is getting used to seeing the pieces for what they are - centres, corners or edges. Which part are you getting stuck on?

For me, there were two major challenges. The first was working out where to start, which I resolved by identifying the centres. I found a Petrus block building approach quite natural once I saw how the different types of piece worked, but a cross first method is just as easy.

The second part was the last layer. At first, I resorted to a 4LLL at first - EO (FRUR'U'F' and inverse), CP (Niklas+Y perm), OCLL, EPLL. Turn the U face to line up each piece individually to determine whether or not it is oriented, then work out the case like that. It took me a few attempts to get each alg correct because I was making incorrect turns because of the weird shape of the cube.

It's much easier the second or third time you do it.

It’s a while since I’ve solved an axis cube - it’s a fun puzzle - but I’m pretty sure those are corners...
Sorry about that, I was in a hurry while I wrote that. But could you help me with those two correct corner peices and the other two incorrect corners. Please...

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I love shapemods, and I usually go with something like this:
-switch BR and FR corners with Niklas L U' R' U L' U' R (U2)
-orient corners with Sunes
-U-perm the edges
-orient any centres which moved as a result of the last step with (R U R' U)5 - to rotate the U centre 180 degrees - and/or (M' U M U')5 - which rotates the U and F centres 90 degrees.

Foreright

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry while I wrote that. But could you help me with those two correct corner peices and the other two incorrect corners. Please...
I have an Axis cube on my desk here at work and for LL corners I use A-perm to permute (first - possibly multiple times) and then twist the (UFL and UFR) corners (again, possibly multiple times) with the below:

x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 x' /// cycle UFR, UBL and UBR clockwise (A-perm)
x' R U' R D2 R' U R D2 R2 x /// cycle UFL, UFR and UBR anti-clockwise (A-perm)

and then...

(L D2 L') (F' D2 F) U (F' D2 F) (L D2 L') U' /// rotate UFL corner clockwise and UFR anti-clockwise
(F' D2 F) (L D2 L') U (L D2 L') (F' D2 F) U' /// rotate UFL corner anti-clockwise and UFR clockwise

Having said that, the specific case you have there, you have two corners in place but twisted with the other two swapped. In this kind of scenario you can do any A-perm and you should have one corner in the correct place and then cycle the other 3 corners using A-perm(s) until they are correct. That will just leave you with the corner orientation step.

Chandrika

Hello guys,
I have been trying to orient the corners in the top layer of the axis cube ..everybody are telling to try beginners method i.e r prime d prime r d but i am not able to rotate the axis cube in those directions can anybody help? I have attached the current position of my axis cube..please help

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have no specific question but am bumping / commenting to shed light on some misinformation that exists in this thread. Some have commented that the rotated centers in last layer are not possible and that the puzzle is in an impossible state. This is most likely not true if you have not physically taken your axis cube apart or thrown it against a wall in a fit of rage.

It behaves like a supercube thus center orientation matters. Chances are most of the historical responses here are solvers unfamiliar with supercubes. That coupled with the recognition struggles that results from multiple edge and corner shapes and the fact that a "side" or face turn is not composed of a single color just makes this cube an absolute struggle.

Last layer is a real beast...the fun is in the struggle of figuring it out.

ep2

I recently got an axis cube, which I've enjoyed a lot, but still haven't completed. I now have it in a cube, but have two corners flipped. Any ideas on what could flip them?
PSX_20200818_083006.jpg

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I recently got an axis cube, which I've enjoyed a lot, but still haven't completed. I now have it in a cube, but have two corners flipped. Any ideas on what could flip them?
View attachment 13252
As stated you have 2 edges not corners that need to be oriented before moving on to PLL. Piece identification is tricky at first on the axle cube & I usually resort back to a 4 look last layer b/c “transposing” or executing algs is a bit of a challenge with the intense shape shifting.

We’re you able to get it solved? Last layer is surprisingly hard I think

ep2

As stated you have 2 edges not corners that need to be oriented before moving on to PLL. Piece identification is tricky at first on the axle cube & I usually resort back to a 4 look last layer b/c “transposing” or executing algs is a bit of a challenge with the intense shape shifting.

We’re you able to get it solved? Last layer is surprisingly hard I think
Still haven't managed it, I can get to LL relatively quickly, but consistently mess up my algs, bad recognition and messing up execution, but happy I'll get there over the next few days. It's a total head melt trying to understand which piece is which, but getting there.

ep2

Finally, finally, did it. Took about a week in total, maybe 10 hours or so. But delighted. And reckon I can do it again now, just took a long time to get my head around orientation. But might just leave it a while before I scramble again :)