• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

tpsolver

When I learned F2L, I just printed off all the algorithms so whenever I had a spare minute or two I'd either learn a new one or practice those I had learned. If you try to learn a couple each day it shouldn't take long to learn the essential first 20 or so.

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you know intuitive f2l and still want to learn those algorithms then look what they are doing with the pieces, how they pair them up and you will learn them easier I think and maybe find some that better suits you or that are just like you would do it, so you don't have to learn them, you could also go through the cases and write down your own solution before looking at the algorithm, watch if they are the same or if not how they are different, if it's really worth learning. And do they suit you and your way of solving/using fingers?

SD14

well when i am learning algs i like to look at the cube after few turns so i can see like pictures in my mind and then try and make those same patterns again really helps if you are visual memory kind of guy like me

CUBENOOB123

Help with memorizing algorithms

Can anyone give me tips on memorizing algorithms? Im planning to switch to 4LLL and F2L to improve my time to under 1 minute then to full OLL and PLL and so on... So again, any tips on memorizing algorithms?

DAE_JA_VOO

If you're not gonna post an answer, dont post at ALL.
If you're going to be so cocky you may want to reconsider being a member here.

He was asking something relevant to the forum, so relax.

Just for the record, not that it's all THAT important, but Eric happens to be the World Record holder at the moment for the 3x3x3. If anyone can tell you a thing or two about cubing, it's him.

Anyway, let me answer your question. If you're not under 1 minute now already and you plan to switch to a proper method like Fridrich, don't. Get your times to sub 1 minute before you start playing around with new methods. Your fingers are still VERY slow and you need to drastically improve your recognition.

Once you break 1 minute, you can start trying new methods. I chose to go with Fridrich when i dropped LBL. F2L on fridrich can be completely intuitive, so you need not study a single algorithm, That's what i did. I don't know a single F2L alg.

For OLL, stick with 2 look OLL until you're getting 20 seconds times.

As for PLL, i started with PLL when i started with intuitive F2L. It took me about 6 weeks to learn all the PLLs, but i've heard of people doing it in 2 weeks (i wouldn't recommend that though).

When you're studying an alg, don't focus so much on learning the actual letters in the alg (R U R' U'). Force your brain to focus on the movements you're doing, because one day when you know the alg, you're not going to be thinking of it while you do it. Algorithms become part of what's more commonly known as "Muscle Memory". This is where you can do it so fluently, that you don't even think about it while you do it, you just do it. So the easiest way to get to that point is just to do the alg non stop for many hours. When i was learning the PLLs, i would find a new one, start doing it until i remembered the moves, and then i would just sit back and do it over and over again.

Good luck

CUBENOOB123

Just for the record, not that it's all THAT important, but Eric happens to be the World Record holder at the moment for the 3x3x3. If anyone can tell you a thing or two about cubing, it's him.

Anyway, let me answer your question. If you're not under 1 minute now already and you plan to switch to a proper method like Fridrich, don't. Get your times to sub 1 minute before you start playing around with new methods. Your fingers are still VERY slow and you need to drastically improve your recognition.

Once you break 1 minute, you can start trying new methods. I chose to go with Fridrich when i dropped LBL. F2L on fridrich can be completely intuitive, so you need not study a single algorithm, That's what i did. I don't know a single F2L alg.

As for PLL, i started with PLL when i started with intuitive F2L. It took me about 6 weeks to learn all the PLLs, but i've heard of people doing it in 2 weeks (i wouldn't recommend that though).

When you're studying an alg, don't focus so much on learning the actual letters in the alg (R U R' U'). Force your brain to focus on the movements you're doing, because one day when you know the alg, you're not going to be thinking of it while you do it. Algorithms become part of what's more commonly known as "Muscle Memory". This is where you can do it so fluently, that you don't even think about it while you do it, you just do it. So the easiest way to get to that point is just to do the alg non stop for many hours. When i was learning the PLLs, i would find a new one, start doing it until i remembered the moves, and then i would just sit back and do it over and over again.

Good luck
Well, sorry then... Im kinda in a bad mood today. And thanks for the info.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the easiest way to get to that point is just to do the alg non stop for many hours. When i was learning the PLLs, i would find a new one, start doing it until i remembered the moves, and then i would just sit back and do it over and over again.

Good luck

One alg for many hours? That's kind of an exaggeration. It probably applies to beginners more because more experienced cubers memorize by movesets and fingertricks.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Me being recordholder has nothing to do with this. Maybe I can't even solve the cube.
I like to be on a Forum which a bit organised, it's very crowded already.
If people start posting things in speedcubing where it is IMHO a beginners question, it'll get a mess (it's already getting a bit messy here). So if you want to know something, please ask your question where it should be. I'd have maybe posted a usefull answer if this was in the beginners section.

@ any moderator: can this maybe be moved?

CUBENOOB123

Good luck[/QUOTE]
my average is 1.13.34 with LBL. is that an okay time for switching to another method?

Lol, I was just about to post that. Anyway, if you want to learn F2L etc., don't start by trying to learn all the algorithms. Focus on the intuitive part first - it helps a lot. I'm learning F2L from Erik's page (www.erikku.110mb.com) and the algorithms from Dan Harris' webiste (www.cubestation.co.uk).

DAE_JA_VOO

One alg for many hours? That's kind of an exaggeration. It probably applies to beginners more because more experienced cubers memorize by movesets and fingertricks.

It obviously differs from person to person. I find that the best way for ME to learn a new alg is to get the moves in my head, then break the finger tricks up into pieces and then just repeat. Let me give you an example.

When i was learning the R(b) perm, i broke it up like this:

R' U2 R U2
R' F
R U R' U'
R' F'
R2 U'

Once i had memorized those small sequences (a matter of minutes) i just repeated that alg over and over again. I generally spent about 3 or 4 hours on every PLL. I wanted it to be completely natural and in "muscle memory", because i've found that if i move onto a new alg before i'm 100% comfortable with the previous, i struggle to do the previous one consistently and naturally.

Like i said, it obviously differs from person to person.

Cuben00b, like i said, i suggest you stick with LBL until you're at least sub 1 minute before moving to a proper F2L method.

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't want to just sit down and try to learn algorithms, write a couple on a post-it, then stick it up in the bathroom. I mean, all that spare time could be spent doing something productive, right?

Todd

Don't put too much focus on 'memorizing the notation', I would focus more on the muscle memory.

To be honest, if I had to, i could not write the notation for any of the algs I use :( It's all the hands.

hawkmp4

True, I have to do my algorithms and hope i can catch everything i do in order to write them down.
How I learn them is I try to break everything down into something that's easier to memorize.
Like, T perm...
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F

Looks pretty long.
But (R U R' U') hardly needs to be memorized. I just remember that the alg starts with that fingertrick. And what that does is take out a F2L pair. (R' F) reinserts the pair and is also a pretty fast, common fingertrick. From here, I just did rote memorization of the blocks like this- (R2 U' R' U') (R U R' F).
And i only had to do the algorithm 5 times memorized like that before it started working into my muscle memory. That's where it needs to be, your muscle memory. Memorizing notation won't get you fast at all if that's all you do.