• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SkateTracker

YouTube
Visit Channel
At first I'll just try to memorize the actual algorithm by trying to find a pattern in it or by making small words. Then, after I get that down, I learn it by muscle memory and finger tricks.

InJust11

I Just Remember By Studying Like A Test For It And The Muscle Memory And Jsut Knowing What Im Doing With The Cubie Instead Of Thinking, "Ok Now R' D' R D."

dRaGoN

I just learn like 5-10 algorithms at once in about 30 min and then I come back 1 hour later and relearn those that I forgot. Back when I was memorizing, that's how I did it. My memory works a bit funny. It can take masses of information at once lol. I usually looks for special blocks and what moves to perform at those blocks. It's more of a visual thing for me, rather than the actual moves for the algs.

Help with memorizing algorithms

I wouldn't really classify myself as a beginner but anyway, I am in the middle of memorizing algorithms for Fridrich and I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or mnemonics to help me remember the algorithhms. I would be grateful of any help.

Thanks,
Sam

Harry

Well, what I do is I compare the turns for example,
R U R U F U R U R
In this example, we can see that the turns before F is the mirror image of the turn after F therefore, you can just memorize the turns before F and just remember, "After F is mirror image." and eventually you will got it.

I use this method not in The Fridrich method but I hope it helps.

The second way is.....

P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E

Good Luck

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That doesn't really apply to all of the algorithms you'll use in the future. Most people suggest repeating the algorithm over and over. You could even break it down into seperate fingertricks 5-6 moves long. Remember, as a cuber muscle memory is your friend.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
You can make up your way of memorizing an algorithm, but here's how I do it.

I remember the letters and then group an imaginary "trigger" with all of the clockwise and counter-clockwise turns. Then I memorize 3-5 moves at time, closing my eyes, then finishing the rest of the algorithm. I repeat this process until I remember the algorithm. Then, I practice it over and over again, until I have it down solid.

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Don't focus on remembering sequences of letters, because that's not what you're trying to recall when you do an algorithm. It's about muscle memory. Do the algorithm over and over until your fingers know it.

If you asked me what the A-perm is right now, I wouldn't be able to directly type out the move sequence without taking out my cube (or imagining a virtual cube) and thinking about the moves I apply on it.

Crzyazn

Easy tips:

Muscle Memory (Repetition)
Eye "memory" (look at what you are actually doing to the cube)
Memorize in pairs if possible (if it has an inverse, learn both so they can be interchanged aka one sets up the other)

hait2

Don't focus on remembering sequences of letters, because that's not what you're trying to recall when you do an algorithm. It's about muscle memory. Do the algorithm over and over until your fingers know it.

If you asked me what the A-perm is right now, I wouldn't be able to directly type out the move sequence without taking out my cube (or imagining a virtual cube) and thinking about the moves I apply on it.

ditto. it's frustrating when you're trying to teach without a cube handy

just remember them as sequences of finger tricks, or look for certain patterns. a common example i use is the 3cycle U' R2 U R2 U F2 U' R2 U' R2 U F2
the pattern in this one for example, is that there's a repeating sequence of R2 R2 F2 separated by Uturns. so really, all i did to memorize this alg was remember the change in the Uturns (which is only one move really, when the 2nd U changes to a U')

eventually though your fingers will know it but your mind won't. it's a bit freaky really

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
eventually though your fingers will know it but your mind won't. it's a bit freaky really

Yep. There are one or two OLLs where I just have to zone out and let my fingers do their thing, because if I think about it, or if someone asks me to show them slowly, I completely forget how the algorithm goes.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look, understand, practice = memorized into muscle. :)
just do it 5 times with looking. Understand how the blocks come back together. Do it with out looking a few times and you got it! Then practice a few more times to get faster.
I learned 4 algs (G's R's) in a single class period one time while doing classwork. ;)

don't try to remember the algorithms so you can recite them look at it and do it over and over again so you it is in your "Muscle memory" so you don't have to think about it after you practice it.

dill2345

Memorization problems with f2l

I'm having trouble with memorizing the algorithms for f2l. I use cube whiz's algorithms and i have learnt the first ten, but when there are times when i need to use these algorithms, i find it quite difficult to remember the correct one. I also don't understand about muscle memory because my muscles don't really memorize the algorithms.

dill2345

Thanks for the help but i've already learnt intuitive f2l and i want to move on to all the algorithms.

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01
If you've learned intuitive f2l and it is done properly (efficient), you're wasting your time learning the algorithms (except for a few difficult cases). Muscle memory is natural, just practice it over and over and it will happen.

But really, don't waste your time learning the algorithms. Just practice intuitively and check an algorithm if you can't solve a case in 8 turns or less.