• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would drill the algs, until you have it memorized by muscle memory, then work on memorizing the actual algorithm.
i.e: Sexy: R U R' U' R U R' U' R U R' U' R U R' U' Do that over and over and over until you have it memorized by muscle memory. Then say to your self the algorithm over and over until it sticks. That's what I do anyway...

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Everyone,

I just got into cubing, and can solve a cube using the beginner's method, but i a having difficulty learning CFOP. I want to know how to speedcube and would use Fridrich method, but I am having trouble learning all the algorithmss. I use this page and practice ~1hr a day and have been doing for about 4 days - the algorithms just don't stick in! What is everyone's recommended way of learning algs?

Thanks!

P.S. i have a DaYan ZhanChi, the greatest cube ever (that I have tried, but that's not saying much, as i have only ever used my ZhanChi and my official Rubik's cube that is very slow.)

If you go to http://www.badmephisto.com, for OLL, he lists everything by order of common triggers. Triggers are just short sequences of moves that pop up in algs everywhere. When you see it you'll know what I mean.

But like 2180161 said... with some cases, and almost all of PLL, it's best to just drill them until they stick. Only learn a few at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself with too many cases at once.

MattyAB

Awesome, thanks. But how do i only learn a few at once? I just do a scramble, and then the CFOP is random - is there some kind of program for it? i have used the oll and pll one by badmemphisto, and don't understand how it works.

M

Mr Beast

Only learn 1 or 2 at a time. Drill the 1/2 algs and then practice old ones. Next session learn 1 or 2 more and drill previously learned ones. That's what works for me anyway :)
Watch Youtube videos on alg execution also if your having trouble with learning off letters.

Last edited by a moderator:

VISA006

I am a sub 50 cuber and I know 2look OLL and all the PLL except G and N perms, and I want to learn OLL. I can memorise the algorithms easily, but I couldn't memorise the positions of the stickers. Is there a better way to memorise the sticker positions?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am a sub 50 cuber and I know 2look OLL and all the PLL except G and N perms, and I want to learn OLL. I can memorise the algorithms easily, but I couldn't memorise the positions of the stickers. Is there a better way to memorise the sticker positions?
Learn G perms and N perms first. Don't put them off. It's much slower to use 2-look PLL than it is to use 2-look OLL.

When you get on to OLL, learn them a couple at a time. Look for things like pairs/groups of stickers (e.g. a square on the top, or a line of three stickers on one side). Most of the time you'll find that pattern is unique. If there aren't any squares or lines or easy things like that, avoid learning that case until later.
Some people will also group OLLs by what the pattern is on the top face only, and then recognise which case within the set that they need by looking at the other stickers. This is a good way to recognise OLLs too.

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
Awesome, thanks. But how do i only learn a few at once? I just do a scramble, and then the CFOP is random - is there some kind of program for it? i have used the oll and pll one by badmemphisto, and don't understand how it works.

When people mean practicing algs, they mean to have a solved cube and repeatedly execute the algs over and over. If you do the same alg with the same orientation(and for cube rotations, back to original position) over and over, the cube will bring itself to the same state it was in before. Most pll algs should only take 3-4 executions to be brought back to original state.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL first. Then start learning 1-look PLL. To learn algs, focus on learning one at a time. Do it about 5 or 6 times, however many times is enough for you to start remembering it. Then try doing it without looking at the algorithm - look at the cube and see if you can spot any patterns. Repeat this until you can do it easily enough without reading it, and then try the alg blindfolded. Do this a few times as well. Later in the day, repeat these steps for the same alg to see if you remember it. You can then test yourself by trying it the next morning. Do this for all the PLLs, and then the OLLs. You might want to look for the easy algorithms first.

Oatch

Sometimes, instead of trying to commit just the moves of an alg to memory, try looking for patterns or intuitively try to figure out what the alg is doing. For some algs, especially with COLL, tracking an F2L pair as it moves around the cube helps quicken the learning process, as it is much easier to remember the movement of a group of pieces rather than a set seemingly random moves strung together. For example, you can describe the Sune alg as taking out the FR pair, closing the slot, moving the pair clockwise, then reopening the slot and re-inserting the pair. If you MUST learn algs by its moves, break it down into triggers: (R U R' U'), (R' F R F'), etc.

Silvertronica

I need help learning two look OLL

So, I'm relatively new to cubing, I average around 35 sec. using Part of Fridrich (Full F2L, (learning) 2look OLL, and 2 look PLL)

Now you may notice the "Learning" icon under 2look OLL, I need help learning it! I have all of the algorithms but I can't seem to memorize any of them. Any tips/tricks?

xchippy

Separate the algorithms in groups. For example, the T one is r U R' U' r' F r F'. Which is (r U R' U') (r' F R F'), which is just a sexy move then sledgehammer with a wide move as the first move of each trigger.

gabetomes

so i am tryin to learn all the fridrich method algorithms. whats the best way with oll they are so many what the best way?

Ksh13

WCA
2016HARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any tips for remembering the variations of the G-perm and identifying different g-perm cases and which variation goes with it? It gives me a really big headache to try and remember all of that.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any tips for remembering the variations of the G-perm and identifying different g-perm cases and which variation goes with it? It gives me a really big headache to try and remember all of that.

How I recognize them may not work for every alg, but with the ones I use, I look at which side the block of 2 pieces goes on, then look at which way the edges need to cycle. Don' know if that makes any sense.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01

All my G-perm algs have the headlights one the left side, so I just look at where the 2x1 block is in relation to those.

Brold

Help Memorizing F2L Cases

I need help memorizing the F2L algorithm and the case that goes with it.