• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A discussion on Ghost Posts, Necro Posts, and other annoying thread fillers.

xcross

I am REALLY frustrated with the amount of ghost posting, necroposting, and general lack of forum etiquette.
I find that alot of the posts here are just used to fill up extra reactions or free post count. I would like your opinions on things like reaction games, and threads where you just spam messages.

Ghostpost: A post that is not beneficial to the thread or topic, or a post that does not quote or properly refer to other posts. They are called this because they disappear in threads and are generally never read. Also refers to posting "Me too!" on help threads.

Necropost: A post that bumps a dead or old thread that has been solved or resolved. Essentially a bad bump

Last edited:

brododragon

Ghostpost: A post that is beneficial to the thread or topic, or a post that does not quote or properly refer to other posts. They are called this because they disappear in threads and are generally never read. Also refers to posting "Me too!" on help threads.
Do you mean not beneficial?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Yes, this is a topic worth discussion. The goal of the community is to make a place for us all to learn, share, connect, and enjoy speedsolving together. However, it is tough to decide what is allowed and what isn't, and when to delete posts and when not to. We try to encourage people to keep posts useful and constructive to keep discussion interesting. Users who reply with the only objective to boost post count will be deleted - it makes discussions boring. In fact, we will remove post count from profiles if this becomes a bigger issue.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
*cough* bump wars *cough*

I think removing reaction score from profiles might be a good idea to reduce this kind of problem. I don't think it really adds much to the forums.
It was a one time kind of thing.
See, the problem arises when the games aren't held in the off topic areas. Personally, I don't care what goes on in the "off-topic" sub-forum as long as it doesn't literally insensitive going out into the "on-topic" forums and posting for an "off-topic" event.
Feel free to name any off topic games going on in the on topic areas currently.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
My $0.02 is that you can goof around as much as you want in off topic as long as it doesn't interfere with with the function and enjoyment of the forums for others. If you don't like the off topic section or any other sub-forum then stay out. On the flip side those in off topic please don't abuse or negatively impact the community who came to the forum for more serious reasons, regardless of what's sub-forum you're posting in.
The goal of the community is to make a place for us all to learn, share, connect, and enjoy speedsolving together.
As @pjk said "share" and "connect" are a goals of this community. I'm a firm believer that we can make friends here and it's a very positive social experience to talk about non cubing related things or play games with your like minded cubing community. Especially for the youth on this forum who might not receive such open acceptencance in other aspects of their life we should encourage community interaction...in whatever reasonable form it comes in. That said let's not push the boundaries, abuse the rules, or ruin the integrity of the forum.

The bump war was definitely obnoxious and I hope to not see such a thing happen again. As a daily visitor here I have not noticed any other behavior I feel it's necessary to complain about.

There is a wide swath of age groups on this forum and we naturally gravitate towards different mannerisms and forms of digital interaction. I've yet to ever visit a forum where someone did not have some complaint about some other group on the forum. Such is life...just be respectful.

I haven't noticed an excess of ghostposts or necroposts but am in agreement that that would definitely negatively impact the forum as a whole if it were to get out of hand.