• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4 Look Last Layer is slowing me down ...

jonathankim98

The only algorithm I don't know is the headlights alg in OLL but everything else I'm fine with but my times are slower than when I used Dan Brown's beginner method. Any suggestions? :confused:

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you should just practice it a lot and you will get much faster.

BTW: The headlights algorithm is easy.Hold the cube so that the headlights are on the left and just do: (R U R' U')x2 L' (U R U' R')x2 L .

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With the Dan brown method you are still doing 4 look last layer.

Orienting the edges
Permuting the edges
Permuting the corners
Orienting the corners

R2 D' R U2 R' D R U2 R should do.

avgdi

WCA
2011VAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure you are faster using the Dan Brown last layer now, then you were when you first learned it. You've just done it a lot and slowly got better at it.

It's the same for 4LLL, you're slow now, but over time you'll get faster.

iTz Dr Pepper

It just takes time to get used to it. When I first learned the 2 look last layer my times did get higher but they go down with practice.

aronpm

Whenever you change the way you solve something, you're generally going to be slower. It happens to everyone who uses CFOP when they switch from LBL to F2L. So don't worry, if you keep practising you'll get faster with it.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn zbll or keywhole which ever o=one you find the most attractive. blindfold method is also odd and works very well.
ZBLL? I doubt someone's going to learn 500 algs for that. Also, I'm pretty sure keyhole is for F2L, although I'm not too familiar with it.

I recommend just to practice. Work on your algs, practice them until you're fast with them (you can look at the OLL and PLL pages on the wiki for different algs if you don't like the ones you're using), and work on recognition.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Kaixax555's algorithms for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th looks, but ignore his 1st look algs. For the first case, use F R U R' U' F' (U2 or y2) F U R U' R' F'. For the second case, use F U R U' R' F'. And for the third case, use F R U R' U' F'.

Link to Kaixax555's 4LLL guide