One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by HelpCube, May 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. HelpCube

HelpCube Member

Nov 16, 2009
    My Stackmat
    YouTube:
    HelpCube
    This thread is for asking one-answer questions about WCA Competitions and Regulations.

A few weeks ago, I signed up my friend for a competition, listing his country as USA. The competition already happened, and my friend wants to know if there is any way he can change his country in the WCA, as he was born in Kenya.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
    slaz likes this.
  2. pdilla

pdilla Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Moili'ili, Hawaii
    If you pop during a BLD solve, I'm guessing you either take the DNF or have fun playing a game of warmer/colder or does that count as "assistance"?

3. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

Feb 4, 2011
    8620 Danmark
    WCA:
    2012SCHM07
    I think you are on your own ( plus good luck putting it in the right way [50% success/failure] if you find the piece)
    It would be funny if 2 guhongs popped at the same time and they found the piece from the other cube and when they take the blindfold off, they would have an unsolved cube with too many [green] pieces in it.

4. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    The game of warmer/colder would definitely be assistance, and would result in a DNF. The right thing to do if you pop is to put the pieces back in while blindfolded, and get lucky putting them in correctly. Of course, the same is true if you drop the cube - the correct way to continue is to pick the cube back up, and get lucky by choosing the correct orientation.

That's why I make sure all my cubes are virtually unpoppable, even if that means other people think they're too stiff. I hate DNFs.

5. IWillCube

IWillCube Member

Jan 25, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    WCA:
    2014RANK01
    YouTube:
    XXXxFangZxXXX
    What is the verdict on stickerless cubes in 2015?

6. Note

Note Member

Is it possible to suggest future WCA competition locations?

7. Matt11111

Matt11111 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Probably my room
    WCA:
    2014PINN02
    YouTube:
    Matt11111
    As far as I know, none. WAITAMINUTE. WCA, are you finished with your decision yet? Happy New Year everybody.

8. Matt11111

Matt11111 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Probably my room
    WCA:
    2014PINN02
    YouTube:
    Matt11111
    That must be really sucky. But great for blindsolving.

9. Mike Hughey

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    Since I wrote this (2 1/2 years ago!), cubes have gotten nicer; I generally don't need to have such stiff cubes anymore. Except when I do bigger multiBLD attempts - I haven't bought enough good cubes since then.

10. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to pay any attention.

11. SolveThatCube

SolveThatCube Member

Jan 4, 2014
    That way.
    WCA:
    2014ADCO01
    YouTube:
    SolveThatCube
    Are stickerless cubes competition legal now?

12. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
  13. guysensei1

guysensei1 Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Singing pores
    WCA:
    2014WENW01
    I recently thought to put transparent Aosu internals into my main Aosu just for fun. Would that be comp legal? I personally don't see why it should be but asking just to be sure.

14. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    If you can't see through the cube it's ok.

15. guysensei1

guysensei1 Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Singing pores
    WCA:
    2014WENW01
    If a skewb center piece pops but the rest is solved and I stop the timer, DNF or not?

16. TDM

TDM Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Oxfordshire, UK
    WCA:
    2013MEND03
    YouTube:
    TDM028
    No DNF:
    5b5b) If one part with one coloured face is affected, the puzzle is considered solved.

17. Mike Hughey

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    I guess I'd consider this somewhat challenging. With the center piece popped out, two of the corners will be free-floating. If they're nicely nestled in place and not moved around at all, I guess I'd probably consider it still solved (although I'd definitely write it up as an incident in a delegate report), but if one of them were even slightly out of place (twisted even a little bit), I'd really be unsure, and have a tendency to think it's probably a DNF. And I suspect that would require that the missing piece be the top center (since otherwise one of the corner slides down). After all, there's this guideline:
    5b5++++) EXAMPLE Example of parts physically attached but not fully placed, resulting in a "DNF": a 3x3x3 edge piece slightly popped out.

18. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    I know this is a stupid question, but it just happened to me at home so I want to ask it anyway.

Consider the situation where I'm one move away from from solving the puzzle, and then it slips out of my hands, rolls off the table and onto the floor, and then slides under another table. Knowing it's only one move away, I stop the timer, hoping for just a +2 penalty.

Obviously, I can't touch the puzzle before the judge has inspected it, and the judge needs to be certain that I don't, so is it up to the judge to go look for the puzzle under the other table?

19. cubizh

cubizh Super Moderator Staff Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Portugal
    WCA:
    2014GOME07
    YouTube:
    cubizh
    It's the judge's task to inspect the puzzle after the competitor stops the timer. Organizers should set up solving stations where that problem doesn't happen.

20. lerenard

lerenard Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Tennessee
    If there are two events scheduled for the same block of time in a competition, can I only compete in one ?