• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Zane's TuRBo Edge Tutorial

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is for anyone wanting a detailed description of TuRBo edges, and also ways to increase efficiency of the method.

UF > UL > UR = R2 U R U R' U' R' U' R' U R'
UF > UR > UL = R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2
UF > LU > RU = M U M' U2 M U M'
UF > RU > LU = M U' M' U2 M U' M'
UF > LU > UR = U' Rw U R' U' M U R U' R' U
UF > UR > LU = U' R U R' U' M' U R U' Rw' U
UF > RU > UL = U Lw' U' L U M U' L' U L U'
UF > UL > RU = U L' U' L U M' U' L' U Lw U'

T-perm + flip = x' R2 U' R' U R' x F' U' F R U R' U'

----------------------------------------------------------------

Parity example solves:
Here are two example solves with parity, both using the same scramble.
-Example 1 will be executing the corners first.
-Example 2 will be executing the edges first.

The solving methods will be TuRBo edges and Old Pochmann corners. (No matter how easy the cases are to freestyle)

Bolded stickers represent breaking into a new cycle. (When the buffer has become solved and there are still unsolved pieces).

Example 1: (corners first)

Scramble in preferred solving orientation: B U' F' U2 B2 F D' F U' F B2 U L D' U2 R L2 B L' R2 D B2 F R2 U'

Corners:
ULB > FUL: - F' D (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) D' F
ULB > FDR: - R F (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F' R'

The buffer is now solved, but this scramble has parity, so ULB and URB need to end up swapped:

ULB > URB: - U (R' U2 R U R' U2' L U' R U L') U'
ULB > DLB: - D F' (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F D'
ULB > UFR: - F (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F'
ULB > DBR: - R2 F (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F' R2
ULB > LFD: - D2 R (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) R' D2

UBL and URB are now swapped. If they were NOT swapped, UB and UL would be swapped instead.
This means your edges would be different from how you memorised them!

Edges:
UF > DF > RU: - D' L2 (U L' U' L U M' U' L' U Lw U') L2 D
UF > DL > RD: - L2 R2 (U L' U' L U M' U' L' U Lw U') R2 L2
UF > DB > UB: - B R' L (M U' M' U2 M U' M') L' R B'
UF > RF > LU: - R (M U' M' U2 M U' M') R'
UF > BR > BL: - L (U' R U R U R U' R' U' R') L'

RB is the last edge target. We must set it up to a PLL case, then swap the two edges and corners simultaneously.
An R-perm would be the easiest to set up:

L' E L (L U2 L' U2 L F' L' U' L U L F L2 U) L' E' L

FL is flipped.
Only an even amount of edges can be flipped. So if we have only memorised one flipped edge, the buffer must also be flipped.

Flip FL and UF however you want, one way would be: L' y' R' U2 R2 U R' U' R' U2 r U R U' r' F

Example 2: (edges first)

Scramble in prefered orientation: B U' F' U2 B2 F D' F U' F B2 U L D' U2 R L2 B L' R2 D B2 F R2 U'

Edges:
UF > DF > RU: - D' L2 (U L' U' L U M' U' L' U Lw U') L2 D
UF > DL > RD: - L2 R2 (U L' U' L U M' U' L' U Lw U') R2 L2
UF > DB > UB: - B R' L (M U' M' U2 M U' M') L' R B'
UF > RF > LU: - R (M U' M' U2 M U' M') R'
UF > BR > BL: - L (U' R U R U R U' R' U' R') L'

RB is the last edge target.
As you know, this solve has parity. And this can be fixed similar to the corners:
The edges need to be finished off with UB and UL swapped. (As it's impossible to solve all the edges while keeping the corners is the same permutation).

We will now solve RB, while also swapping UB and UL, by setting up to a Z-perm.

Dw' R (U R' U' R U' R U R U' R' U R U R2 U' R' U) R' Dw

Flip FL and UF however you want, one way would be: L' y' R' U2 R2 U R' U' R' U2 r U R U' r' F

Corners:
ULB > FUL: - F' D (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) D' F
ULB > FDR: - R F (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F' R'
ULB > DLB: - D F' (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F D'
ULB > UFR: - F (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) F'
ULB > LFD: - D2 R (R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R) R' D2

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For parity if I do old pochmann corners and executing them first, should I just handle parity the same as M2? With R perm, [U' F2 U, M2]? (I assume you know, but do R perm, solve edges, do the U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U, then R perm again.

Or were you suggesting in the video to setup the cases to a PLL and solve it?

ASH

WCA
2008HACK01
Nice dude.

Do you also use TuRBo for Corners? If yes,are you about to make a tutorial for this, too?
(Actually, I don't give a "F" about the tutorial(s) just would like to "see" the algs others are using.)

Greetings,
Axel

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
do R perm, solve edges, do the U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U, then R perm again.

I am confused why you would use an R perm at all; it is completely unnecessary. I use Old Pochmann corners and M2 edges, and I do not use R perm at all. I just do this:
solve corners
do U'F2 U M2 U' F2 U
solve edges (knowing that the M layer is off to begin with for purposes of knowing what algs to use for M slice edges)
done

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I would rather not swap the M slice because it interferes with my execution. It's easier.

I use sentences for hte most part with a pair list, and me knowing the first letter in each word is without the M slice being off, helps. It makes more sense for me to do it this way, and more braindead execution.

tl;dr, you shouldn't care if I do a slightly slower way. I only seek an answer to my question.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For parity if I do old pochmann corners and executing them first, should I just handle parity the same as M2? With R perm, [U' F2 U, M2]? (I assume you know, but do R perm, solve edges, do the U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U, then R perm again.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In your video you just leave 2 corners unsolved, then solve edges until there is 2 left, then fix everything that is left

But what if you don't use comms for corners and you have parity, resulting in UL and UB edges swapped (as in Y perm corners)

Would I do R perm to swap back the edgess, and the UBR and URF corners, solve edges until last 2, then do a PLL to solve the remaining corners/edges?

Sorry for my wording, I can never explain situations over text.

tl;dr, old pochmann corners-How would you approach parity?

This post might be in vain since I'm about to start doing comms in solves now (~ a week) but I'd still like to know in case I have to do Y perms for cases I blank on.

P

pappas

Solve corners normally, then do the R perm. Then at the end of the solve set up the unsolved pieces to a PLL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In your video you just leave 2 corners unsolved, then solve edges until there is 2 left, then fix everything that is left
But what if you don't use comms for corners and you have parity, resulting in UL and UB edges swapped (as in Y perm corners)

If you don't have parity, solve the corners normally. (As you know)
If you have parity, swap ULB and URB. It's impossible to have UL and UB also swapped.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't have parity, solve the corners normally. (As you know)
If you have parity, swap ULB and URB. It's impossible to have UL and UB also swapped.

Ok, so basically do a PLL to swap the UB and UL edges, and the two corners, aka R perm (that's what I use)

After edges are done, I have two edges left to solve, setup into PLL and then I should be done yes?

This is most likely blatantly obvious to you, and a stupid question, but learning new things has always been extremely hard for me.

Solve corners normally, then do the R perm. Then at the end of the solve set up the unsolved pieces to a PLL.

Thanks, that cleared it up. It was what I suspected, but it was nice to have reassurance.

Time to learn the algs.

Edit-Oh, and I assume every BLD solve is capable of using Turbo for all the edges? Again, probably stupid question. Would I switch buffers from DF to UF if I used pure turbo?

Edit-Well, that was easy, already knew the algs.

Last edited:

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so basically do a PLL to swap the UB and UL edges, and the two corners, aka R perm (that's what I use)

After edges are done, I have two edges left to solve, setup into PLL and then I should be done yes?
I understand now, you are very correct.
You can also fix parity with Old Pochmann. (If you do this, the buffer will be one of the swapped corners)
Edit-Oh, and I assume every BLD solve is capable of using Turbo for all the edges? Again, probably stupid question. Would I switch buffers from DF to UF if I used pure turbo?
Yes, except it can't be used for the last two edges during parity.
Yes.

As Chris (quote me if I'm wrong) said, stupid questions are ones which don't get asked.

Last edited:

ssb150388

Need some help with TuRBo.
Scramble: F2 L2 F2 U2 F2 L2 F2 D F' D2 R' F' L D B2 L B' F2 (Only edge scramble)
Do (x2 y). (I scramble with white top green front and solve with yellow top red front.)

I did the first cycle as DL-RB.
The buffer piece was now in place with wrong orientation.
So I broke into a new cycle with BL-RU.
Next cycle: UB-DB.

Now the buffer piece is in 2nd slot, flipped. and the second slot piece is in the buffer's place, with correct orientation.

What is the best way to proceed now?

Sourabh

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Need some help with TuRBo.
Scramble: F2 L2 F2 U2 F2 L2 F2 D F' D2 R' F' L D B2 L B' F2 (Only edge scramble)
Do (x2 y). (I scramble with white top green front and solve with yellow top red front.)

I did the first cycle as DL-RB.
The buffer piece was now in place with wrong orientation.
So I broke into a new cycle with BL-RU.
Next cycle: UB-DB.

Now the buffer piece is in 2nd slot, flipped. and the second slot piece is in the buffer's place, with correct orientation.

What is the best way to proceed now?

Sourabh
Huh? I don't understand your question. What do you mean your buffer piece is in 2nd slot? From what I see the next cycle is UL > RU, then DR > RF then you'll have two 2 cycle of edges. Are you asking what should you do now?

If I understand you correctly, then using TuRBo you should just proceed with UF > LB > FL > FD > FL to solve the cube. However if you could also be more freestyle and do x D2 R2 (Z perm) R2 D2