• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

YJ and Moyu - what's the relationship?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone confirm how these brands/companies are related? And point to a source for their information?

I read a lot of opinion that Moyu is a separate company that uses YJ's factory, but have never seen a source credited. On the other hand, they use the same packaging design, and the Moyu scholarship won by Feliks resulted in his face being put on a YJ cube box.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Found this on the MoYu forum: http://www.mofangluntan.com/thread-23054-1-1.html
Apparently YJ was established as a normal toy company where they hire designers, produce cubes, and whatnot. The CEO decided in 2012 to create a "platform" called MoYu where designers can give their designs to YJ for production, sales, and the boring stuff, and in return get part of the profit. Those cubes are branded as MoYu, and are geared for the "professional market". Cubes whose designers are hired by YJ are branded as YJ.
So really MoYu is a platform and a brand, not a company. YJ is the company.

That is my understanding. Not sure if correct. If anyone else reads Chinese here, please check.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Apparently YJ was established as a normal toy company where they hire designers, produce cubes, and whatnot. The CEO decided in 2012 to create a "platform" called MoYu where designers can give their designs to YJ for production, sales, and the boring stuff, and in return get part of the profit. Those cubes are branded as MoYu, and are geared for the "professional market". Cubes whose designers are hired by YJ are branded as YJ.

That is my understanding. Not sure if correct. If anyone else reads Chinese here, please check.

I think you nailed it.

Rubiks should set up a designers platform, as everyone would know about the brand name, plus the bestselling toy is still the Rubiks Cube.

UB

YouTube
Visit Channel

This is it :D You sell your design and earn profit.../

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for long bump, but I read a youtube comment from Antoine Cantin (who got to tour the MoYu factory, cool video) that YJ and MoYu are "100% distinct" companies now. This should be updated in the wiki.

youtube.com/watch?v=wev3vnrKvHc&lc=Ugxh_s9u5_bzH_dkaRl4AaABAg.8wPLIV-lnV48wPrFWRjJxW