• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

World Championships 2013 - Las Vegas

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Las Vegas is in the desert. Deserts don't have any trees to hold moisture in the soil and allow evaporation. The soil just absorbs the heat and reflects it back up. The lack of vegetation is caused by sparse rain
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101107064856AASCfbD

Lol, yes. A very scientific way to explain it.

Basically, there is no reason for human beings to be living where Las Vegas is. It is always this hot in the summer and it will be absolutely brutal to be outside for much time for many people. Be prepared.

Thankfully, the hotel and venue are one in the same, like with WC 2011, so you can greatly reduce the amount of time you need to be outside. Theoretically, if you were super boring, you could spend the whole weekend inside.

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol, yes. A very scientific way to explain it.

Basically, there is no reason for human beings to be living where Las Vegas is. It is always this hot in the summer and it will be absolutely brutal to be outside for much time for many people. Be prepared.

Thankfully, the hotel and venue are one in the same, like with WC 2011, so you can greatly reduce the amount of time you need to be outside. Theoretically, if you were super boring, you could spend the whole weekend inside.

That's what I did for Nats 2012. lol. I plan to be less boring this year.

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I'm a bit sad and angry at myself.

I was asked by my mom if I wanted to go to Worlds months.

I said nah because I was into Minecraft (a video game) instead of cubing.

Now I have made a hobby change back into cubing and I will be starting my vacation in England instead of going to Worlds and having so much fun...

FMCL

Going to England for vacation is not something to complain about.

For those of you willing to brave the summer heat, Red Rock Canyon is absolutely gorgeous and well worth a visit. Also, if there any climbers, there's some incredibly great climbing and bouldering just a short drive from the strip. It'll be too hot for ideal climbing conditions, but it's worth checking out. If the strip isn't your thing (I personally am not a fan at all), those are a couple suggestions.

http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/

Last edited:

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
It's hot but it's usually a dry heat and it usually gets cool again at night. The lowest recorded temperature in winter is -13C = 8F. And if you're staying at a hotel you're not going to see much of the weather.

I sent $100 into the "donate" thing and specified "first place for the 3x3 feet" so we should be good to go with at least one prize. But all in all, given the high temperatures in the area, I'd just as soon not have to smell that competition.

KongShou

WCA
2013KONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

For those of you willing to brave the summer heat, Red Rock Canyon is absolutely gorgeous and well worth a visit. Also, if there any climbers, there's some incredibly great climbing and bouldering just a short drive from the strip. It'll be too hot for ideal climbing conditions, but it's worth checking out. If the strip isn't your thing (I personally am not a fan at all), those are a couple suggestions.

Heat? In England? Get a life boat ready more like.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04

Daniel Hayes and I spent a few days after last year's competition climbing at Red Rock. It's definitely not the best time of year for that, but we made it bearable by going out at 6am, climbing in shaded areas and finishing at noon when there was no more shade. Also, copious amounts of water.

If you're not into climbing you can also drive the scenic loop through the park and enjoy the views from the comfort of an air conditioned vehicle.

Wat. I was in china and it was like 38 and I through that was bad. Don't this sort of temperature kill people? Didn't 50 Celsius killed some ppl in Pakistan once?

Yes, people can die in that sort of heat. Luckily, buildings (where you'll be spending most or even all of your time) have central air conditioning.

Last edited:
WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wat. I was in china and it was like 38 and I through that was bad. Don't this sort of temperature kill people? Didn't 50 Celsius killed some ppl in Pakistan once?

It would kill someone only if they don't know how to survive in a desert You always need water to survive a desert. If you don't drink water every half hour in that kind of Temperature you will get dehydrated. Also you would need to be in the shade allot to prevent heatstrokes. All this I learned from being a Boy Scout.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yo. Being from Arizona, I feel like I have some credentials on this. If you don't want to be hot and thirsty in the desert,

DON'T GO OUTSIDE.

Seriously. It gets to the point where doing fun stuff isn't even worth it anymore.

Also, protip. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Melanoma will kind of ruin Worlds for you.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yo. Being from Arizona, I feel like I have some credentials on this. If you don't want to be hot and thirsty in the desert,

DON'T GO OUTSIDE.

Seriously. It gets to the point where doing fun stuff isn't even worth it anymore.

Also, protip. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Melanoma will kind of ruin Worlds for you.

Thanks! ;) I'm already going to multiple shows though. xD

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Las Vegas is sufficiently dry that in some places they spray water as a mist a few feet above the sidewalks. Let me see if I can get a photo... Ah, here's a website that sells them:
http://www.alloutcool.com/misting-system.html

View attachment 2964

These sorts of things only work in very dry areas. Most people have "swamp coolers = evaporative coolers" rather than "air conditioners". Swamp coolers work by evaporating water into the air stream.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's hot but it's usually a dry heat and it usually gets cool again at night. The lowest recorded temperature in winter is -13C = 8F. And if you're staying at a hotel you're not going to see much of the weather.

I sent $100 into the "donate" thing and specified "first place for the 3x3 feet" so we should be good to go with at least one prize. But all in all, given the high temperatures in the area, I'd just as soon not have to smell that competition.

Yeah, it does get cold in the winter at night, but it really doesn't get remotely cool at night in the summer. Last year it was 95+ at midnight often. It's going to be disgusting. It's going to be really, really hot even though it won't be humid. For a lot of people it may be the hottest outdoor temperature they've ever felt. Everyone should be prepared for this.