• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why You're Not Sub-X with Roux

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for discussing how to get faster at 3x3 using the Roux Method. The main focus will be on breaking specific "barriers" that people often get stuck at. I am making a video series which I will post on Youtube, and I will also share it on this thread. The first 2 videos has now been released:

If you want this series to continue, please watch, like, comment, and share this video. Also, I encourage you to give me feedback on what parts of this video were helpful and what you would like to see more of for next time. So far, the feedback I have received is positive, and people have found the video useful. I'm planning on making videos for sub-10, and sub-8.

Last edited:
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now, if only someone can make is thread for ZZ... Great work, btw :D very helpful.
Thank you! I think ZZ deserves more attention. I think it's a very good method, especially with full ZBLL. Beginners these days are just bombarded with CFOP tutorials and have no chance of discovering a Roux or ZZ tutorial because there are less of them and they have less views.

LostGent

YouTube
Visit Channel
If roux doesn't work out for your low tps, try ZZ as its aalso good for that.

I'd really like to at some point, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of cases you have to learn in ZZ. Roux seems quite intuitive, at least in its early stages. CMLL is on the cards, but I think I'll finishing learning OLL for CFOP and then focus more on Roux!

wir3sandfir3s

I'd really like to at some point, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of cases you have to learn in ZZ. Roux seems quite intuitive, at least in its early stages. CMLL is on the cards, but I think I'll finishing learning OLL for CFOP and then focus more on Roux!
Uh sheer number of cases? ZZ has less Algs than both CFOP and Roux (if you use OLL PLL) at 7 for OLL+21 for PLL= only 28 Algs...

Teoidus

PDF you could ask for viewers that are almost sub-20/sub-15/etc to submit videos of themselves solving and critique them. That way the areas for improvement are more visible for viewers, people can get direct feedback if they want to, and you'll have lots of material to go off of

EDIT: Okay, I actually watched the video and realize you're already doing this. Nevermind :p

THOUGH I think you can, if you're in an video-edit-happy mood, do a voiceover on the recorded solve, slowing down/stopping the vid at important parts etc
and maybe do multiple solves

Last edited:
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
PDF you could ask for viewers that are almost sub-20/sub-15/etc to submit videos of themselves solving and critique them. That way the areas for improvement are more visible for viewers, people can get direct feedback if they want to, and you'll have lots of material to go off of

EDIT: Okay, I actually watched the video and realize you're already doing this. Nevermind :p

THOUGH I think you can, if you're in an video-edit-happy mood, do a voiceover on the recorded solve, slowing down/stopping the vid at important parts etc
and maybe do multiple solves
I guess I could do that for things like "there was a pause here, lookahead more". But I still think showing the reconstruction is the only way to show how to improve efficiency. I might try it for the next one, but I'm not making any guarantees.
I would love to see more solve critiques, I would send some if you want (I'm averaging 23).
As you can tell, these videos are going to be long, so I don't want to make them even longer by having too many solve critiques. What I might end up doing is just making a whole solve-critiques specific video where I just critiques 1 solve from a bunch of rouxers.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I could do that for things like "there was a pause here, lookahead more". But I still think showing the reconstruction is the only way to show how to improve efficiency. I might try it for the next one, but I'm not making any guarantees.

As you can tell, these videos are going to be long, so I don't want to make them even longer by having too many solve critiques. What I might end up doing is just making a whole solve-critiques specific video where I just critiques 1 solve from a bunch of rouxers.
You could do something like the X-rouxers, 1 scramble and ask for reconstructions as well.

Teoidus

Yeah, I guess length is a pretty big issue as well, I hadn't considered that.

I thought showing the reconstruction, esp with movecounts and all on algdb, was a great idea as I don't think many people really think that much about how efficient they're really being. Solves feel like they're short or long but it's an entirely different matter to count the moves up as you go or reconstruct on algdb and watch the movecount go up into the high 50s/low 60s.