• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why is there such a huge variation in my solve times?

F2LCub

I'm working towards sub-40 and have a PB of 29 seconds with a complete PLL skip. My averages usually seem to be around 40-46 seconds with my worst solves (bad F2L/wrong algs/double algs in PLL) over 50 seconds and my best solves 30-something seconds.

Why does there seem to be such a big variation and how can I try to make my solves more consistent?

Zerksies

At them speeds you are just inconsistent. Get PLL times down and the biggest thing to gain speed is F2L

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
When you start getting sub-1 (minute) your times will start dropping really fast, they vary a lot, but once you usually hit a 30 second average, you will have the consistency to keep your average around the same place, so the averages should stay consistent and the same.

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
New people?
Yes just keep practicing, you seem relatively new. I think that I got to 30s average relatively fast, that’s only because I practiced, there’s really nothing new (besides 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL) when your getting your average down to 30.

A really strange tip here that worked for me. After like a week of 3x3 (I learned 2x2 first) I had my average down to about 50s, I was tired of the 3x3 and decided to go back to the 2x2, I learned Ortega and got ok with it. I came back to 3x3 and my times dropped instantly by like 10 seconds, I’m thinking cause I got a little better a recognition and tps/solving consistently.

So I had my avg down to 40s, now I didn’t want to learn F2L but I didn’t want to use that beginner method (cross, layer, middle layer, OLL, PLL). So I learned this
, I recommend you learn this, this will bring your average down by a LOT, I got my average to like 29s with this, but once you hit like 30s average learn the real F2L (either algorithmic or intuitive, up to you), I think I learned F2L a little late.
You can learn algorithmic here: http://algdb.net/Set/F2L
Also if you learned the little method I did and some of his algorithms are inconsistent and bad you can visit the same place (http://algdb.net/Set/F2L) and learn different algs.
The algs in the vid are 32, 33, 34, 38, and 39.

Sorry if this was long, hope this helps.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Variation is a good thing: it means you've got a lot of easy improvement coming up. Right now I'm stuck at about 30 seconds on 3x3, with maybe 1 solve out of 15-20 above 35 seconds and 1 out of 15-20 under 25 seconds. If I was getting 1/3 of my solves over 35 seconds and 1/3 under 25 I would know that I just needed to fix the slow ones to average 25 seconds instead of 30, and if I fix the slow ones the fast ones will probably get faster too, and I might average close to 20. I'm starting to wonder if I need to bite the bullet and learn full OLL to improve. M2 (almost done), 4BLD and 5BLD to learn first, at any rate.

Cuber Chris

I recently did 100 timed solves and I thought the same thing. My best was 25.087(new PB :))and my worst was 42.172. I think the reason for my slower times were simply because of mistakes. My cross or f2l took too long and i know my look ahead needs work. I even managed to pair an f2l pair wrong and insert it. So like everyone else has said after a bit of practice less mistakes will happen and the times should become more consistent :).... hopefully :p Screenshot_20171024-182030.png

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Most people these days are gonna consider you somewhat new until you average like 20, unless you've been around for a while but don't improve past that which is not very common.

I'd say more like a month or two. Putting an arbitrary time/ability level in it is kind of silly, to be honest. A few days on the forum, though, regardless of how long you've been cubing, probably counts as new, but making a thread like this is not really a problem, and it is asking a fair question.