• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What would you consider decent, fast, world class, etc. on 3x3?

WCA
2013BARK01
How is putting 900 seconds, for decent, sort of fast, fast, really fast, and world class valid? You ask someone to give you 5 separate answers to create different divisions or classes and they give you the same answer for them all. How is that supposed to be valid? The fact that the 900 seconds was his answer in irrelevant, the fact that he used the same answer is the point.

Even if they had put 900 as world class I still probably wouldn't have counted it because it is pretty obvious that no cuber would legitimately think that that is fast.

mDiPalma

however in this case it is obviously either a mistake or someone just being an idiot. Leaving it would ruin the statistic. What if I posted 1000000000000000000000000000000 for all of them, and it completely overwhelmed everything else? There's got to be a point where you just don't count them.

Edit: I'm looking for honest opinions. Find me a cuber who legitimately thinks that 15 minutes is world class, and who also thinks that world class and decent are synonyms.

what you do when you don't like a particular result: 1) make it an outlier, but note it, 2) change your measure (of center) or 3) redo your study. you don't delete data.

i agree that 900 seconds is a dumb answer. still, don't delete it.

How is putting 900 seconds, for decent, sort of fast, fast, really fast, and world class valid? You ask someone to give you 5 separate answers to create different divisions or classes and they give you the same answer for them all. How is that supposed to be valid? The fact that the 900 seconds was his answer in irrelevant, the fact that he used the same answer is the point.

What if there is a commune of 5 people that share a speedsolving account, but live in a remote area and have not seen other speedcubing records or videos because their Adobe flash player is out of date?

Their names are Blake, Isaac, Ronald, G-unit, and Mary Sue.

Blake can solve a Rubik's cube in 10 minutes. To him, a 15 minute solve is "meh decent" (that's a direct quote).

Ronald's PB is 12 min 13.55 sec. He usually averages around 15 minutes. Because he is the second fastest solver in the isolated commune, he considers it "sort of fast."

Mary Sue is actually the best one there, but she doesn't want to make the others feel bad, so she purposely doubles her solve times when she tells other people. That puts her average at around 18 minutes. She pretends that 15 minutes is "fast" for some strange reason. idk tho.

G-unit spends most of his free time beatboxing so he doesn't really watch the other cubers. The last time he saw Blake solve, it was 16 minutes. So he thinks 15 minutes is really fast.

Isaac can only get 5 sides, so any time at all is "world class" in his opinion.

Living on this isolated commune, the 5 members must do obscure chores (including making beef stew, cleaning ostrich feathers for headdresses, and making sandcastles facing Northwest). As a result, their individual Internet time is limited to around 4 seconds per day. In the order above, they respond to as many questions in the Google form as possible. However, they unfortunately only manage to answer a single question each. After Isaac typed "900" he noticed that the poll was finished, and pressed enter, just before the gong rang, indicating that his most recent sandcastle was actually facing more North-Northwest than Northwest. But that was only because the moat was slightly misoriented.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what you do when you don't like a particular result: 1) make it an outlier, but note it, 2) change your measure (of center) or 3) redo your study. you don't delete data.

Absolutely agree with this. I guess there's a first for everything ;)

Also, I'm not convinced that an average is necessarily the best measure to report here, as I imagine that this data is incredibly right-skewed. Maybe post some histograms/density curves of the data?

WCA
2013BARK01

What if there is a commune of 5 people that share a speedsolving account, but live in a remote area and have not seen other speedcubing records or videos because their Adobe flash player is out of date?

Their names are Blake, Isaac, Ronald, G-unit, and Mary Sue.

Blake can solve a Rubik's cube in 10 minutes. To him, a 15 minute solve is "meh decent" (that's a direct quote).

Ronald's PB is 12 min 13.55 sec. He usually averages around 15 minutes. Because he is the second fastest solver in the isolated commune, he considers it "sort of fast."

Mary Sue is actually the best one there, but she doesn't want to make the others feel bad, so she purposely doubles her solve times when she tells other people. That puts her average at around 18 minutes. She pretends that 15 minutes is "fast" for some strange reason. idk tho.

G-unit spends most of his free time beatboxing so he doesn't really watch the other cubers. The last time he saw Blake solve, it was 16 minutes. So he thinks 15 minutes is really fast.

Isaac can only get 5 sides, so any time at all is "world class" in his opinion.

Living on this isolated commune, the 5 members must do obscure chores (including making beef stew, cleaning ostrich feathers for headdresses, and making sandcastles facing Northwest). As a result, their individual Internet time is limited to around 4 seconds per day. In the order above, they respond to as many questions in the Google form as possible. However, they unfortunately only manage to answer a single question each. After Isaac typed "900" he noticed that the poll was finished, and pressed enter, just before the gong rang, indicating that his most recent sandcastle was actually facing more North-Northwest than Northwest. But that was only because the moat was slightly misoriented.

Well what would I do if someone put in 10000000000000000000000 or whatever? Keep it? That would be ridiculous.
And with the story about G-unit and the other people is just silly. Yeah, it is a good point, but who has an internet connection but only gets to use it for 4 seconds every day? Also what about the fact that they use up 15 minutes solving Rubik's Cubes? My point is, no cuber who has an account on speedsolving would think 900 seconds is world class.

WCA
2013BARK01
Absolutely agree with this. I guess there's a first for everything ;)

Also, I'm not convinced that an average is necessarily the best measure to report here, as I imagine that this data is incredibly right-skewed. Maybe post some histograms/density curves of the data?

I am not really looking for a fancy statistical analysis of this. imo averages are good enough. However, when people put in 900 seconds it messes up the averages.

cubernya

Premium Member
Accurate with data as of 2015-09-08T19:39:08

DecentSort of fastFastReally fastWorld class
Mean26.1417.7912.909.767.83
Mode202012108
Median241712108
Standard Deviation11.585.102.601.330.70
Interesting that the standard deviation approximately halves each time.

CorrelationsDecentSort of fastFastReally fastWorld class
Decent1.000.891.634.463.172
Sort of fast.8911.000.781.528.219
Fast.634.7811.000.770.422
Really fast.463.528.7701.000.686
World class.172.219.422.6861.000

UsKtysZ.png

Last edited: