• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What was your first speed cube and did it effect you speed cubing journey?

WCA
2016DRIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, story time. Honestly, I would not be here right now without my parents. When I was about 10, my dad told me if I could solve the 3x3 cube on my shelf he would give me $20. As a 10 year old, I was like "HELLL YEEEEEE BOIIIII". Not actually, but that's what it felt like. So a few weeks went by and a guy at school, I think it was Luke Cho, hosted a summer camp where he would teach kids about my age to solve a 3x3. so when I finally got it, I got the 20 bucks.

About a month goes by and I was like, "man this is pretty dope." Thats when my parents finally decided to go backpack around Europe for 6 months. Now that sounds pretty cool. But we had to sell all our things, and we would move back to our place so we were going to live somewhere. I left all my friends, school, and lego. But I brought this Dyan Zanchi I had ordered on amazon, It was repackaged, as expected. Se we start traveling and while in France, we had nothing to do and we were there for another week. so I said, "Mom, can we go to competition?" and she was like, "Maybe, let's check where some are." and the closest one was in ROME, like dude. It was the Rome 2016 summer open. So we made plans to take a detour to Rome them to Switzerland. While at the comp, I didn't get last, but while there a guy was selling cubes, and the only one he had only one packaged cube, A Moyu Weilong GTS 1. This thing was a huge upgrade from a zanchi. well speed forward about to 2019, I lost it. that thing was so important to me. but at that point I was averaging like 25 seconds. and about a few months ago I met a guy with a magnetized GTS 1, and now I am reunited with my weilong GTS 1.
Now I am averaging about 13 seconds and am almost getting sub 10 solves.

Thats my story, what was rout story???

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
My first speed cube was an Aolong v2. I didn’t really research much (this was in like May 2019) so thats what I ended up with until autumn when I got the gts2m. At the time it seemed so good (I was using Rubik’s Brand before lol), but as the factory lube ran out it became worse, and in the weeks before getting the gts2m, I was trying everything - leaving it out in the sun, disassembling it multiple times, messing around with the tensions, putting water in between the pieces (my screws are rusted now), etc.
Good times

freshcuber.de

WCA
2016FRIS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first speed cube was an original Rubik's from 1981. Someone else won the World Championship with such a cube in 1982. But my times were around 5 minutes then.

When I re-started that hobby in 2012 my first 2 speedcubes were Dayan GuHong 2 (or 1?)* and Dayan LunHui.

My website says GuHong 2 in March 2012:
But Speedsolving Wiki says that V2 was released in April 2012:

So maybe I was ahead of the rest of the cubing world with my Guhong 2 in March 2012. :)