• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What was your first method?

What was your first method vote

• Beginners method

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • Cfop

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Roux

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Zz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beginners Cfop

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other method

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Gls7789

YouTube
Visit Channel
We will discuss what your first method was and how fast your time was!
if you don’t remember how fast and what method you used or both, it’s ok you don’t have to say

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nearly everyone who learned to solve a cube within the past 15 years or so probably learned some variation of the beginner's method (usually a simplistic, low-alg version of LBL)
didn't rowe hessler learn petrus first?

but you're right

EDIT:
1675381852164.png

EDIT: and some people develop a sort of corner first method but they're the minority

OldSwiss

I learned it with this one:
It's a Layer by Layer Method.

1. Solve Cross (directly, without Daisy)
  2. Solve Corners with Sexy Move
  3. Solve Edges with 8 Move Alg
  4. Solve Yellow Cross
  5. Solve OLL with Sunes and Antisunes
  6. Solve Edges with U-Perm
  7. Solve Corners with A-Perm
Looking Back it was not the easiest way to learn it but it was the first explanation I found that I understood well.

Last layer is a little different to most other beginner methods i've seen but the good thin was that with sune, U-Pern and A-Perm I was already on the best way to oll and pll.
Other beginner Methods use Sune for positioning of the edges and Corner Flip to finish oll. This is farther away from the normal CFPM Method than mine.

When I teach it to beginners now I use this method (or send them the link)
  • Make a Daisy
  • Solve Cross
  • Solve Corners with elevator move (Reverse Sexy)
  • Solve Edges with reverse sexy, rotate, reverse sexy
  • Solve Yellow Cross
  • Solve OLL with corner flip
  • Solve Corners with T-Perm
  • Solve Edges with U-Perm
The advantage of this one, is that the only alg you use for the first two layers is reverse sexy and oll is also very easy with corner flip.
On the other side it takes a lot of moves to flip 4 corners, so the next i teach after they can do this is solving oll with sune and antisune.
T-Perm for Corners has the advantage that there is only one. With the A-Perm you learn only one variation in the beginning, so you have to do it twice if it is on the wrong side.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Corners first. Back in 1981. Put the first 4 corners in intuitively, then figured out a few algorithms to move and twist corners, then once I had all of them in place, used a couple of 3-edge-cycle algorithms (that weren't commutators - all variants on R U R U R U R' U' R' U' R2 - I found them by playing with a solved cube for a while) to move all the edges into place two at a time.

Using this method in 1981 on an original Rubik's cube, I eventually got down to about 2 1/2 minutes.

OldSwiss

I did. Cross on bottom, beginner F2L, 4LLL from the beginning, then intuitive F2L, then Roux.

Only few people go directly into F2L but if you learn it directly, I think it's not so much harder.
It's just the 3 cases how pieces can be paired.

Same for 4x4 Yau or let's say 3-2-3 edge pairing. Edge pairing was very confusing for me with the standard reduction method and solved/unsolved edges all over the cube
With 3-2-3 you always know where to search your next edges and where to store the solved ones.
The hard thing about yau is to solve 3 edges first and then keep them while solving the centers, but you can also to normal edge pairing until hou have the cross and then go into 3-2-3.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried learning from rubik's pdf and that helped me until last layer. I didn't get the last layer method at first then I looked up on other resources

I found a 2 look oll document and a complete pll document (that I have printed until today)

I just learnt sune and would spam it to solve orientation of corners, then I learned the other algs

for pll I noticed that I could solve any case by just combining an A perm and a U perm.

after that I learned the rest of the algs, something I didn't thought I was capable of

It was a rough road but yeah i learned it. (in about 6 months) the next one year I would time my solves and go from 1 min+ to sub20

Last edited:

xyzzy

LBL, following Jasmine Lee's tutorial.

It's a beginner method, but these days I guess "beginner's method" generally means solving the corners with RDRD spam, in which case I have no idea which option to pick.

(I jumped ship to Petrus at some point, probably. It's been too long; I never documented my cubing progress and my memory is hazy.)