• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What should i work on first?

Aaronus23

sorry if this thread was alredy posted, but i didint find anything on the search function:

Well you see, i've been cubing for a While and a currently have a 39 Ao12....2 look OLL(and about 12 other OLLs), FULL PLL

I am currently trying to break the sub 30 barrior... I took times (Ao5) of every part of my solve And I got:

8.07 Cross
17.35 F2L
10.02 LL(OLL+PLL)

What should I work on first?... what should be my goal on every part of the solve to be sub-30 (or possibly sub-25)

P.S my TPS is "slow" since i have a problem on my right hand

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cross and F2L. For you right now, you should try to get your cross down to about 5 seconds, and then f2L down to about 15 seconds or less. After that, I would suggest learning more and better LL algorithms and then start getting faster tps (turns per second).

So first, I would suggest just doing f2l including the cross a bunch of times. this would help both.

Aaronus23

So... solve the cube with no LL? hmm... i can't really see how that would help me... but Ur the sub 20 Ao100 so i guess you have to be right LOL

Ltsurge

Your f2l and LL are quite slow... I'd say work on your f2l and then drill PLLs later, cos that's what I'm doing to get sub 20.. When I was trying to get sub 30, I was working on my f2l which was roughly 10-14s

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just about where you are looking to get past, bordering on going sub 30. I find the solves I tend to do best on are the easy crosses because the easier they are, the further you can look ahead and plan in your inspection. I found that smoother transitions from cross to f2l stage were what brought me from sup40 to just above 30 in less than a couple weeks almost! And drilling PLLs is always a help. Theres no point in knowing them all if half of them are gonna take you 8 seconds to perform because you second guess your instincts or tense up on what could be a PB solve. Make sure you are very comfortable with all the ones you know before moving on. I don't know how much my opinion is worth being a beginner myself but I think its not illogical advice at least lol.

tl;dr focus on faster cross with emphasis on making a smooth transition to f2l (less pause inbetween) and drill them PLLs like a boss.

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So... solve the cube with no LL? hmm... i can't really see how that would help me... but Ur the sub 20 Ao100 so i guess you have to be right LOL

I'm not saying don't finish the cube, but what I am saying is that you want to focus on one thing, so I would suggest focusing on your whole first two layers. Of course you want to then finish, but if you really want to get faster, then you should just focus in one a step, and get it as good as you can get it for that day or that week. Then the next day you work on a different step. Your brain will work better if there is a breaking period because then it will get time to process and understand everything you did for that step. So tomorrow, do 40 solves of just F2L with the timer and focus on finding each pair and then just keep improving. Also, with the cross, you should be able to recognize the patterns for each piece and if two pieces are on the same face, you can track them.

Aaronus23

Learn full OLL and PLL (OLL is not that bad, the algs are easy compared to PLL, don't b**** out)
Heal your hand
Get your cross to 4 seconds (its 8 moves max, shouldn't be hard...........)

That alone will probably get you sub 23

I'm working on Full OLL right now... and my hand can't be healed(ive had it since birth), :( any tips on the cross though?

I found that smoother transitions from cross to f2l stage were what brought me from sup40 to just above 30 in less than a couple weeks almost!
Intresting... I'm definetly gonna work on my transition from cross to F2L

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I found that smoother transitions from cross to f2l stage were what brought me from sup40 to just above 30 in less than a couple weeks almost!

That's very interesting! I'm currently working on cross and lookahead in F2L - sounds like I should definitely pay more attention to the transition! I had no idea it could affect things that much, so thx for the note!

Ltsurge

Hey... since your right hand can't be healed, then try Roux!
it has a low tps since it is more reliant on low move counts...

EDIT oh and since you're a begginner it would be easier to switch

Aaronus23

If you can't get your hand healed then you won't be able to get as fast as you can. I'd bite the bullet and realize that, and try to specialize in OH. Fast OH'ers are really cool to watch. You can still get sub 20 because thats pretty easy with slow turning and 2look LL.

I've realized that... but before i specialize in OH ny goal is at least 2 sub-30 Ao5..

plus.. my TPS is like 2.5 is that like Reeelly slow?

Aaronus23

Hey... since your right hand can't be healed, then try Roux!
it has a low tps since it is more reliant on low move counts...

EDIT oh and since you're a begginner it would be easier to switch

i know roux... my A012 with it is like 1:30 or so.. but i cant blockbuild!!!!!

(sorry for the duble post!)

EricReese

WCA
2010REES02
YouTube
Visit Channel
you say you avg 35, with 2.5 tps. You need to work on your movecount. CFOP takes around 60 moves. You are claiming around 75. Even with 2look OLL you are inefficient somewhere. Make sure your cross is at most 8 moves. If you are handi capped and a beginner, I would recommend going color neutral to try and shave off a move/make the cross easier. Also practice lookahead. Since you can't turn fast looking ahead is the only option

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't focus on learning OLL right now. I think if you're using a lot of turns, you are doing them in the cross and F2L. Just practice on having the most efficient move count on the first two layers that you can, and gradually work up speed by improving your look ahead. You should be able to get under 20 seconds with only 3 turns per second.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your TPS isn't holding you back. I'd recommend OLL if you're wanting to do it, cause that will lower your movecount, and also try using something like Prisma Puzzle Timer for your scrambles, cause it's got a option to display optimal cross solutions, which could help you learn to optimise your cross movecount.
Currently I'm working on slowing down my turning and optimising my solves, which really helped me get my average from 30 to 25. If you want some inspiration check out this really awesome slow turning average.

Incanumix

I've realized that... but before i specialize in OH ny goal is at least 2 sub-30 Ao5..

plus.. my TPS is like 2.5 is that like Reeelly slow?

2.5tps is fine for your F2L, but then for your LL, you should be getting 5+ moves a second for a decent timed LL.
I'm no pro at cubing, but as Godmil said, it's not your TPS that's holding you back, it's how you're solving your F2L.
With 2.5tps, I'm pretty sure that's the move count you should be using to practice your look ahead.
And I don't think you should learn OLL yet, learn it when you have an solve time of below 25 seconds.