• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is Zeroing? Feliks Uses it, What is it? (for 3x3)

• Thread starter Christopher Lai
  • Start date
C

Christopher Lai

I was just wondering about zeroing, and how to use it efficiently. I know that Feliks along with a few other speedcubers currently use it, and there was a forum post of it, however no examples or general demonstrations were shown on how to use it. So, I decided to ask.

Thanks,
CL Cuber

C

Christopher Lai

Zeroing does not exist. It's a joke that originated because people say Feliks is so fast that he must be using some secret method.

First of, love your channel and vids DG.

Secondly, there used to be a forum for zeroing (you can still search it up), and although I know it doesn't really exist, there was a way to complete almost all f2l slots without your regular CFOP, it inserted f2l pairs while putting in the cross. Would this be multi-slotting? Here is the forum if you want to check it out. Make sure to follow along with the steps provided in the beginning.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Secondly, there used to be a forum for zeroing (you can still search it up), and although I know it doesn't really exist, there was a way to complete almost all F2L slots without your regular CFOP, it inserted f2l pairs while putting in the cross. Would this be multi-slotting? Here is the forum if you want to check it out. Make sure to follow along with the steps provided in the beginning.
That would be xx/xxxCross or, more likely, FreeFOP.
Zeroing is entirely a joke, so it doesn't actually correspond to anything. But FreeFOP is a variant of CFOP using an intuitive blockbuilding step for the first two layers in place of Cross+F2L. It's potentially much faster because it's less structured (and therefore more efficient and 'free'), but the difficulty of such a big intuitive step makes it very daunting. I don't know of any really fast cubers who use it.

I believe Stewy's reconstruction of Feliks's recent Ao100 video showed that he used xCross 1/3 of the time, so that may also be what you're thinking of.

C

Christopher Lai

That would be xx/xxxCross or, more likely, FreeFOP.
Zeroing is entirely a joke, so it doesn't actually correspond to anything. But FreeFOP is a variant of CFOP using an intuitive blockbuilding step for the first two layers in place of Cross+F2L. It's potentially much faster because it's less structured (and therefore more efficient and 'free'), but the difficulty of such a big intuitive step makes it very daunting. I don't know of any really fast cubers who use it.

I believe Stewy's reconstruction of Feliks's recent Ao100 video showed that he used xCross 1/3 of the time, so that may also be what you're thinking of.

Ahh.. Now I see what your talking about. I knew the zeroing was all a joke, but the method that he used, the x-cross I didn't know the terminology for it. Thanks!

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is kind of on topic where jokes were made that people thought were real. A 20 second solver at school asked me this:
"Does the cubicle.us go to comps in Australia?"
"No, only in the US. Speedcube.com.au usually does though."
"Have you got a sub 7 in Comp?"
"Ahh no."
"Oh, cos Sub 7s get you white jackets with the Cubicle."
"Haha no that's a joke."
"Really?!?!"

Reactions: Dom

Silverback

I always thought zeroing referred to planing the entire solve during inspection. Just like some people do on 2x2.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
This is kind of on topic where jokes were made that people thought were real. A 20 second solver at school asked me this:
"Does the cubicle.us go to comps in Australia?"
"No, only in the US. Speedcube.com.au usually does though."
"Have you got a sub 7 in Comp?"
"Ahh no."
"Oh, cos Sub 7s get you white jackets with the Cubicle."
"Haha no that's a joke."
"Really?!?!"
Everyone knows sub-10s get jackets :cool:

Reactions: Dom

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But Feliks himself confirmed zeroing, referring to the description of this video:

As we can see zeroing is highly efficient leading to a sub4 single.

I know it's a joke. xD