• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Zeroing Tutorial/Discussion (Text+Video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As you guys may have recently heard, Feliks has been using a technique called "zeroing" during his latest solves. I have written a short bit about the technique including an example, and then made a video from said example.

I hope both help detail the method.

Text version: (really my write-up for recording)
Code:
Plan for ZZeoring video.

Hello, my name is Stachu Korick, and with permission from Feliks Zemdegs and Jules Manalang,
this will be a short video detailing the Zeroing technique that Feliks has used to get both
the current WR single and average.  I will be mainly covering the ZZ variant of Zeroing (ZZeoring).

Although the Zeroing technique was first used for block-builders due to the ease with dealing 
with 3-gen phasing for inverse flipping, Feliks has made it possible for it to benefit him
during CFOP solves with speed-optimized primary phasing.  Zeroing is only beneficial for CFOP users if their TPS
(turns per second) is rather fast, especially during primary phasing.

Unfortunately, I cannot go entirely in depth through the technique; I have only been able to 
comprehend Zeroing in respects to ZZ due to my ill-fashioned block-building.

An important note to make is that Zeroing can be implemented in almost any solving method, 
however due to limitations in move groups, certain methods typically benefit more from the system
than others. The two phasing stages, the "primary stage" and the "secondary stage," are to influence
a Block-Setup Last Layer.  There is really no good way to explain it in words, so here I'll show
a few example solves and explain along the way what I'm doing.

Before I initiate, let me note that my 3gen phasing is limited to <R,U,L> due to me avoiding reverse
edge orientations.

Scramble:
U' F2 B' R U B2 U' R' F2 U' R F' B2 R2 B' F2 R2 F2 U2 L2 D' F R' F' B'

First, let me note: What's beautiful about ZZeroing is that the primary 6-gen phasing is done during 
EOline with no consequence to movecount. 6-gen phasing after limiting oneself is essentially impossible
for anyone to do.

EOline			x2 U L2 D' R B D (6/6)
Left block		R L2 U2 L' U' L' U L' (8/14)
is what we would do if we were regular solving.

However, with <R,U,L> phasing, we can set up the BSLL for a better alternative with
Left block		R L2 U2 L' U' L' *R* U L' (9/15)

Actually, with doing the second phasing before the second block, we can do even better!
Left block+		R L2 U2 L' U' L' R U *R2* U' R' U L' (13/19)

Setup into BSLL:
y U R2 U' R' U2 R' D' L F2 L' D (11/30)

intuitive 2GLL case:
Sune 			(R U R' U R U2 R') U'
Anti-sune 		(R' U2 R U R' U R) U (16/46)

Without doing the primary and secondary phasings during the left block, we would have surely not been able to
have a near-complete right-block.

So with Zeroing, the total solve is:
x2 U L2 D' R B D (6/6)
R L2 U2 L' U' L' R U *R2* U' R' U L' (13/19)
y U R2 U' R' U2 R' D' L F2 L' D (11/30)
(R U R' U R U2 R') U' (R' U2 R U R' U R) U (16/46)

Now let's go into Feliks' WR solve.
Direct quote from one of his posts on the forums:
"R2 B2 D' L2 R2 D2 F2 U' F2 D' L2 U B' D2 L' U2 B F R U R

x U2 R2 F U' L2
U R U' R'
U' y' R U2' R' U R U' R'
y' U L' U' L U' L' U L
U2 R U' R' U' y L' U L
r U R' U' L' U R U'
U R' U' R y R2 u R' U R U' R u' R2

55 moves = 8.12 tps."

While he may be telling the truth about the solution, what he doesn't tell is his use of Zeroing! (well, trying to :/)
y' U L' U' L U' L' U L
On that line, one should be easily able to see that a normal person would have done
D L U L' D', but he recognized that the next pair would have ended up in an unforceable second phasing, 
which he reluctantly decided not to do, causing the LL to be just normal CFOP.

That's all I can cover today; explaining this has been a bit of a trouble, but I hope it helped.
	Perhaps one day hopefully soon I shall be able to take apart Rowe's recent 6.94 official solve and explain 
his personal phasing technique.

Just as a quick note: you as a member of SpeedSolving.com may have heard of Anthony Brooks using Zeroing.
Due to the recent collective development of 3-gen RUL phasing and 2gen RU phasing, he has made decent
progression in his one-handed solves, but has not yet unlocked the full potential of 3gen reverse (and inverse)
orientation.

A quick collective list of Zeroers to date are as follows:
	Feliks Zemdegs
	Jules Manalang 
	Stachu Korick
	Rowe Hessler 	(only recently integrating it into solves.)
	Anthony Brooks
I put it in [ code] tags so it wouldn't do some terrible formatting like it usually does.

Video version:
[youtubehd]DzR_AXqnrHg[/youtubehd]
I put this in spoilers because I'd rather you read the text version.
Please excuse my bad voice. :/

Comment below what you think. :)
~statue

flan

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES03
Wow I just got 3 new pb's in an average of 5 with this. This is awsome.

Last edited:

PeterNewton

"I don't get it"

I don't know if you're joking or not but I am thoroughly confused. Stachu, could you be more general in defining the zeroing technique, instead of explaining by example? I'm sure others would appreciate this as well.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if you're joking or not but I am thoroughly confused. Stachu, could you be more general in defining the zeroing technique, instead of explaining by example? I'm sure others would appreciate this as well.

I don't have time right now, but Jules is intending on making a sequel to this video detailing the technique.

nitay6669

WCA
2010DUEK01
well, you should have talked a bit about the phasing, and why phasing ,or why in 2 steps, or something basic cos no1 gets it. and for the ones that do get it please explain.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I first heard about the idea from Statue, and after seeing Anthony's post and others it made me realize that people were considering it more.

I have to be honest that my focus on BLD solving truly shows itself here, because I am totally lost on zeroing.

Left block R L2 U2 L' U' L' *R* U L' (9/15)

I can kind of see how you setup for the primary phasing here, but:

Left block+ R L2 U2 L' U' L' R U *R2* U' R' U L' (13/19)

I really don't understand how you're able to do the secondary phasing before the second block here. I can tell that the secondary phasing is done at the end of this step, but following the pieces I don't understand how exactly you see that during the solve? Do you have certain cases pre-memorized? Or is this step mostly an intuitive step? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't quite follow how you're able to influence the BSLL so early in the solve!

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.