• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the longest break you have taken from cubing, and Why?

WCA
2018BRUM01
So over the summer, one of my best friends that actually got me into cubing sort of took a break, and when I ask him why he tells me that he is "burnt out." This has never happened to me, even after competitions where I literally cubed for like 14 hours in a day. I respect his decision to take a break, but I am curious, why do people get burnt out. What is the longest break you have ever taken from cubing? Did you take a break because you got burnt out, or for another reason?

efattah

The longest break I took from cubing was (1991->2015), or 24 years.
I stopped in 1991 with a 3x3 PB of 19.8 single and Rubik's Revenge (4x4) PB of 3:56; I couldn't beat them for so long that I sort of lost interest. Since there were no competitions or internet the only person to compete against was myself. Plus I was frustrated with the extremely hard-to-turn 3x3 and 4x4 at the time. If you have ever tried an original Rubik's Revenge, I doubt even Sebastien Weyer could solve it in less than 2 minutes because it is so hard to turn.

efattah

I wouldn't know, like I said I took a long break and after the 2003 World Championships apparently faster cubes started appearing, probably faster 4x4's as well. I'd guess around 2005.

MrLunarWolf

The longest break I took from cubes wasn't because of burn out, but I had two surgery's and couldn't sit up and than right when I was about to recover, my brother got hit by a truck and had to have surgery, and than my mum had a baby so I didn't really have time, this lasted from about I wanna say march to July, and than I started school and had to get that situated for a month or so, and now I've been back on it since two days ago.

Edit: I actually thought about it and everything from the baby upward happened the year before, so that's around a total of a year half to two years

GAN 356 X

Depending o you definition of 'cubing', about 2-3 years. I learnt in grade 1, averaging about 1 minute 50 seconds on a Rubiks Brand with LBL. I came back to cubing in 2017 when they were in fashion, then died away again. I have since learnt to solve faster with the CFOP Method and average around 22-25 secs

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if I've ever gone for more than a day or two without touching a cube since I learned back in 2012. I think I went for a week or so without actually sitting down and timing myself at the start of my first year at university; I remember it feeling really weird to have not *seriously* cubed for so long (although I'd still done some casual solves in that time). I definitely practice less when life gets busier, but I pretty much always cube at least a little bit each day.

(The only burnout I've experienced is usually over the summer when I cube so much that my wrists hurt. At that point I generally stop for a few hours/the rest of the day, but I wouldn't consider that an actual break. :p)

Purple Squad

The longest and only break i took was from January 2019 through June 2019. That comes up to six months. Then the thought came, What will I do with these cubes? Should I solve them? So I learned. Now my PB single is Sub-35

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started in May 2017 (15th for those of you who are like me and remember these stuff lol) and I kinda stopped in around July or August somewhere. Occasionally I would do a solve or two, but like it wasn't all that anymore. Probably had the assumption that comps weren't a thing in South Africa (which they aren't really, getting better now). I knew full PLL and like 90% oll. I had up till 5x5, excluding 2x2. Megaminx and 2 non-wca. When I heard of a comp with 2x2, 3x3, OH and pyra, I decided to go, I started practicing like heck, only 3x3. At the comp they convinced me to get a 2x2 and compete (did pretty okay, think I got a 8 single or something) and 3x3 broke my pb single with a 18.77. After that I have probably solved a cube every single day. Had a comp in April 2018 where Mats Valk attended here in RSA. Went to a comp with every event excluding 5bld, which was an AWESOME experience, in May 2018. In total today I have been to 6 competitions, broke NR for 4bld (10:45) (i avg 6 tho) and I am a BLD enthusiast.
Mainly I think the reason I stopped was because it got boring and I saw no progression, no point in trying harder when it felt like I was doing it for nothing. Even now, with the ability to get Multi-BLD AfR, but not having comps with that event in, it is kind of hard to stay motivated to keep practicing whilst I'm 2nd last in Africa with a 5/9 mbld. I definitely think if official comps weren't a thing, I would probably not put so much time into multi-bld and learning 3-style, and overall cubing so much. I have made great friends, both in South Africa and 2 from overseas. That's my little story, probably strayed off-topic here (lol, sorry), but hope it was atleast minorly interesting. Have a great day!!

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
I took a 3 month break, because it was boring to me and i began to develop other interests. I came back because i saw some new speedcubers at my school, which is cool cause now i have people i can relate to on a daily basis :)

aerocube

probably 5 days,i never really feel bored of cubing because there's so many events,but sometimes i'm just doing other things

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Me for about 5 days cuz one day I sold my 2x2 and 3x3 to my friend and then with that money and some other money I bought my current main, pyraminx, and skewb. All I had with that period of time was a RUBIKS brand and I did not feel like doing it.

mangosteen25

i know this may sound weird but i only like practice actually cubing in june, october, november, december, january, and february. (cos we have a month long holiday in june and i cube after exams which is after october). so the longest break is 4 months