• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What are the fundamentals of a good solve

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my opinion a good solve has these fundamentals:
  • an efficient cross
  • no pause or little pause between cross and F2L
  • efficient F2L pairs
  • no pause or little pause between each F2L pair especially between the first and second pairs.
  • no pause or little pause between F2L and OLL
  • no rotations during last layer (except for algs that require a rotation, E perms, V perms etc.)
  • fluid execution of last layer algs
If a solve has all of these things it should be a pretty good solve.

MarkA64

One thing that helps get a good average is recognizing when a solve is going well. So I like this discussion.

GAN 356 X

One thing that helps get a good average is recognizing when a solve is going well. So I like this discussion.
Sometimes you can just tell your gonna get a pb. For example my 12.784 single (B' D L' F D L B L B2 D2 F2 B2 R L B2 D2 R' D L') I could see after about 5 seconds that I would have a good chance of beating my pb. It definitely could have been better if I hadn't of gotten a G perm and an OLL I dont know.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Remembering to use inspection efficiently, economy of motion, few 'collisions' between your pairs (i.e. solving one pair doesn't make the subsequent pairs more difficult), predictable last layer with highly reliable cases.

Billabob

Low movecount, high TPS.

In a good solve you should manipulate your next cases by using a different solution for your current case. You should also do this with the highest TPS that allows you to execute without pausing (going faster will introduce pauses and slow you down).