• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA Hall of Fame

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
I don't see the point in differentiating retired, inactive, and active cubers. Let's just judge people for inclusion based on official results. Besides, we really shouldn't discourage any "retired" cubers from attending comps.

Has stopped going to competitions to be the "best that they can be", but going to either hang out, help out, or organize the competition. (A case like this would be Oliver Frost.)

Ollie seems like a terrible example here. Yes, he is organising a competition, but he has also posted a sub-WR 4BLD Ao12 since he last competed, so I think it's inaccurate to say he's not still trying.

Musicalboy2

WCA
2012CHOW03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are Dene and I the only ones that think this is kind of ... dumb?
Ideally it'd be neat, but there's no way that this isn't going to end up in a popularity contest unless we have strict guidelines, which will never fully encompass something that everyone cares about.

I'm not exactly against this idea, but I think I agree with your general sentiment.

Perhaps this goes a little beyond the topic of this thread, but if people care much about certain people getting recognition, why not redirect their energy to, for example, updating the wiki? Unlike the hall of fame, it's a thing that already exists, and is an entity that can encompass things that everyone cares about. Anyone can contribute to it (they can add things about their favourite cubers to their hearts' content), but last I checked, there is so much there that deserves a lot more attention. (For example, Andrew Ricci was mentioned at some point, but his wiki entry is a mere 2 sentences long)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guideline time!

In order for a speedcuber, retired, inactive (out of his prime), celebrity, or currently active, the following must be put into place before a nomination will be considered.

RETIRED -

The candidate will have had to not compete for three years, and it is recommended that a confirmed note of retirement is presented beforehand.

The candidate will have had to either :

Given such contributions to the cubing community, such as Gilles Roux, for inventing the Roux method.

Held a world record or a world championship title, but also presenting what can be considered a major improvement over other cubers. Such as Maskow's MultiBLD world record. It would be silly to put someone up for the Hall of Fame because they held a World Record for about a week. A good example of that would be the beginning of 2014, when about 15 people held the Skewb World Record in January.

Currently an inactive competitor, or a cuber out of their prime:

The candidate can qualify for this if he/she:

Has stopped going to competitions to be the "best that they can be", but going to either hang out, help out, or organize the competition. (A case like this would be Oliver Frost.)

Active:

Candidate must have held one or several meaningful World Records. The candidate also would have had to make a serious contribution to the community. (This can be dodged if the candidate has excelled greatly in one event. Example: Maskow, Feliks).

Celebrity:

Must have in any way popularized general cubing, but must be highly recognized and praised by the community itself. Examples include Will Smith, and Dan Brown. (Dan Brown is working in the media now, and he normally makes television appearances in New York.)

Let me know if any other guidelines need to be added/changed.

Also: When submitting nominations, include a bit of a description about the candidate. This way, it will help me look into it a bit more and will let me know what to emphasize on.

Ahahaha oh my it's worse than I thought. Can I be in there for all the NRs and CRs I held in the past?

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
Guideline time!

In order for a speedcuber, retired, inactive (out of his prime), celebrity, or currently active, the following must be put into place before a nomination will be considered.

RETIRED -

The candidate will have had to not compete for three years, and it is recommended that a confirmed note of retirement is presented beforehand.

The candidate will have had to either :

Given such contributions to the cubing community, such as Gilles Roux, for inventing the Roux method.

Held a world record or a world championship title, but also presenting what can be considered a major improvement over other cubers. Such as Maskow's MultiBLD world record. It would be silly to put someone up for the Hall of Fame because they held a World Record for about a week. A good example of that would be the beginning of 2014, when about 15 people held the Skewb World Record in January.

Currently an inactive competitor, or a cuber out of their prime:

The candidate can qualify for this if he/she:

Active:

Candidate must have held one or several meaningful World Records. The candidate also would have had to make a serious contribution to the community. (This can be dodged if the candidate has excelled greatly in one event. Example: Maskow, Feliks).

Celebrity:

Must have in any way popularized general cubing, but must be highly recognized and praised by the community itself. Examples include Will Smith, and Dan Brown. (Dan Brown is working in the media now, and he normally makes television appearances in New York.)

Let me know if any other guidelines need to be added/changed.

Also: When submitting nominations, include a bit of a description about the candidate. This way, it will help me look into it a bit more and will let me know what to emphasize on.

Dene, really? CRs and NRs don't count. Also, couldn't you help a little on the guidelines instead of rambling in protest?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Ahahaha oh my it's worse than I thought. Can I be in there for all the NRs and CRs I held in the past?

How did you come to the conclusion that you would? He clearly spoke about WRs (in several events and by a big margin...).

Also on topic: I think this whole "celebrity" category is stupid and shouldn't exist. They shouldn't get to cubing hall of fame just because they are famous because of other things and can only solve cube quite slowly...

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dene, really? CRs and NRs don't count. Also, couldn't you help a little on the guidelines instead of rambling in protest?

It's not at all obvious to me that not having a world record means no inclusion to a proposed hall of fame. That's logically equivalent to "If you're in the Hall of Fame, then you have a world record." If that's the case, then a Hall of Fame would just be a subset of the list of previous world record holders and there would not necessarily be a need for a separate hall of fame list.

Last edited:

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
It's not at all obvious to me that not having a world record means no inclusion to a proposed hall of fame. That's logically equivalent to "If you're in the Hall of Fame, then you have a world record." If that's the case, then a Hall of Fame would just be a list of previous world record holders and there would be no need for a hall of fame.

You don't necessarily need WR to get to the Hall of fame if you have given something valuable to the speedsolving community otherwise. BUT Dene asked specifically if he can get in the list BECAUSE he had some CRs and NRs earlier. And to that the answer is obviously no.

For example Jessica Fridrich and Gilles Roux and Herbert Kociemba would be quite good candidates for Hall of fame IMO even tough they don't have any WRs(that I know of at least :D )

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not exactly against this idea, but I think I agree with your general sentiment.

Perhaps this goes a little beyond the topic of this thread, but if people care much about certain people getting recognition, why not redirect their energy to, for example, updating the wiki? Unlike the hall of fame, it's a thing that already exists, and is an entity that can encompass things that everyone cares about. Anyone can contribute to it (they can add things about their favourite cubers to their hearts' content), but last I checked, there is so much there that deserves a lot more attention. (For example, Andrew Ricci was mentioned at some point, but his wiki entry is a mere 2 sentences long)

Absolutely agree.

In reality, this is really a futile project. Trying to draw a line between "Great" and "Good" is really difficult, and in the end, what does a list of names do for the community? It's far more productive to be contributing to a resource like this so we can have a resource detailing a wide range of accomplishments and developments.

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
I think you should nominate me because I have UPR in multiple events and have so many great contributions to speedcubing.
Obvious sarcasm is obvious

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if he has contributed something significant to cubing community but simply judging by his WCA profile no. He shouldn't. I mean why should he? He isn't even near world class in any of the events. And only the best of the best should be in hall of fame

I must have different criteria in mind for what inclusion into a Hall of Fame would entail.

Let me try to describe my thoughts:

1) Have multiple lists of criteria, and keep a list of cubers who fit those criteria. For example, have a list of former and current WR holders, a list of former and current World Champions, a list of people who organized competitions "a lot," a list of people in the "public consciousness" of the cubing community for either their good works in furthering the community or in their competitive prowess in their area or worldwide.

2) Let these lists represent cubers who are worthy of recognition in the area of the list on which they are inducted.

3) "The" Hall of Fame would be the cubers who are contained in a "large" number of the lists from #1. This may be a direct 1 to 1 count or the lists may be weighted by "importance"

4) A large amount of effort that brings about a positive change in our community should not go unrecognized. Basically, If someone wants to be in the Hall of Fame badly enough, and they strive for it over their competitive career and beyond, then there should be a means in the Hall Of Fame Criteria by which such a person would be inducted. For example, someone who has never earned a recognized WCA record, but organizes competitions regularly for a 20 year period should be listed in the Hall of Fame for furthering our sport with their time and effort. If such a person is not recognized in a Hall of Fame list, then they should be recognized in some other way that the community views as prestigious (see #1 and #2)

These are my ideas about a hall of fame as they stand so far. I am still forming my thoughts on this topic.

Last edited:

rowehessler

btw idk how dan cohen hasn't been thrown out there yet. I think he has the third most WRs of all time