• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

WCA
2023FUKU01
Wait what? I remember seeing this on YJ's facebook page on April Fools Day.
277228932_1059778488215799_8527986646970099446_n.jpg
BFD4B59A-7589-4957-B427-E6FDDA1085F2.jpeg48E3BCCB-BFC2-4F64-B967-4D2663F92616.jpeg904CED2B-9BC2-49AF-AC2C-53EE31940128.jpeg
They looks the same...

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have heard from Lee staff today that they will make a mirror megaminx (they makes something like mirror or ghost 4x4-7x7), probably 3D printed
That would be very cool. I tried designing something like that a while back, and quickly ran into the issue that if you extend the cuts in a dodecahedron they intersect.

WCA
2023FUKU01
That would be very cool. I tried designing something like that a while back, and quickly ran into the issue that if you extend the cuts in a dodecahedron they intersect.
Hope it will come out with an affordable price, and I will probably get it

Really excited for this release as there are not many megaminx shape mods out there like skewb shape mods

CaptainK

Wouldn't it technically be pyraminx shape mods as a skewb is simply a shape mod of a pyraminx?

In the sense that jing pyraminx is a shape mod of skewb, jing pyraminx is also a shape mod of pyraminx?
Pyraminx and skewb and both corner-turning puzzles, but I wouldn't call them shape mods of each other, as they're not mechanically equivalent. We can ignore the tips, but the pyraminx has four corners and the skewb has eight corners. Turning a skewb corner will move three other corners with it, while the pyraminx corners turn independently.

An example of a pyraminx shape mod is the ivy cube. Pyraminx has four corners and six edges (again let's ignore the tips); each corner turns independently and rotates three edges with it. Ivy cube has four corners and six "petals"; each corner turns independently and rotates three petals with it. The ivy cube petals are like pyraminx edges, except the petals are only one color, so orientation doesn't matter.

Jing's pyraminx is a face-turning puzzle, so it's something entirely different. Mechanically it's more similar to NxN cubes and megaminx.

anyway, I'm excited for that Yuxin 5-layer pyraminx mentioned a week ago. Meffert's professor pyraminx seems to be out-of-production, so it's nice to have something in its place.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Pyraminx and skewb and both corner-turning puzzles, but I wouldn't call them shape mods of each other, as they're not mechanically equivalent. We can ignore the tips, but the pyraminx has four corners and the skewb has eight corners. Turning a skewb corner will move three other corners with it, while the pyraminx corners turn independently.

An example of a pyraminx shape mod is the ivy cube. Pyraminx has four corners and six edges (again let's ignore the tips); each corner turns independently and rotates three edges with it. Ivy cube has four corners and six "petals"; each corner turns independently and rotates three petals with it. The ivy cube petals are like pyraminx edges, except the petals are only one color, so orientation doesn't matter.

Jing's pyraminx is a face-turning puzzle, so it's something entirely different. Mechanically it's more similar to NxN cubes and megaminx.

anyway, I'm excited for that Yuxin 5-layer pyraminx mentioned a week ago. Meffert's professor pyraminx seems to be out-of-production, so it's nice to have something in its place.
A skewb is a deep-cut puzzle, and a pyraminx is not, but they are both 4-axis puzzles.