• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
it's actually pretty good. I still haven't had time to make a review on it.
the OG YLM was my favorite cube for quite a long time. I’m filming my review of the v2 this weekend. The version with factory magnets was slightly disappointing compared to all the ones I added magnets to myself IMO. Hopefully this version is a bit better but I’m not terribly optimistic.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
the OG YLM was my favorite cube for quite a long time. I’m filming my review of the v2 this weekend. The version with factory magnets was slightly disappointing IMO to all t he ones I added magnets to myself. Hopefully this version is a bit better but I’m not terribly optimistic.
Oh I meant the V3 megaminx

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In case you aren't subbed... wtf

Really intrigued by the ability to swap internal plastic. Disappointing we won't get all 4 options if we purchase the puzzle when it releases. That, coupled with the "light airy" feeling not meshing with my turning style means this probably won't be a pre order for me. Maybe if reviews are exceptional for it.

AlgoCuber

Really intrigued by the ability to swap internal plastic. Disappointing we won't get all 4 options if we purchase the puzzle when it releases. That, coupled with the "light airy" feeling not meshing with my turning style means this probably won't be a pre order for me. Maybe if reviews are exceptional for it.
To add to that, the quadruple spring concept just feels weird and redundant to me. Why is it even there?

xyzzy

edit (2021-11-30): Extremely speculative, and on further thought I don't think my explanation makes much sense. Caveat lector.

Wild guess: the quad springs are to better force the layer to be flat. If the centre piece is tilted, in conventional single-spring systems, one side of the spring is only slightly more compressed than the other side, so the net force pushing the centre piece towards being flat is small, and then you also have to take into account that the distance from the centre is small, so the torque (= force × radius) is going to be tiny. In this quad spring system, there'll be a more substantial difference in compression between the four springs when the centre piece is tilted, and they'll also be applying the force at a greater radius.

(Is this necessarily a good thing, though? I remember when Chris Tran was first experimenting with maglev, either he or someone else observed that the modding process gave the centre pieces more flex (the central support which normally limits flex had to be drilled out to accommodate the ring magnets), which improved corner cutting or something. Then again, maybe that was compensated with how maglev also has the same larger-force-at-larger-radius effect that the quad spring system does. This is entirely speculation; I'm very much not a mechanism expert.)

Last edited:

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks like a teaser/promotional video was posted 5 months ago about the Peak Cube. The description says "It took a whole year and five months from development to manufacturing to production."

The second video is all hype. The marketing team is really stepping up their game.

Kaiju_cube

it looks cool.

but I'm not sure looks are worth $45.

Then again I bought the Tornado and WRM 2021 purely because of looks... but those were also sub-$30. cubes.

imo a brand new company trying to launch at almost Gan-Like prices is a pretty risky move. It's a bold move. ... almost an insulting move.

If I see it on sale for less than $30. I'll pick it up.

There are other new cubes I want to try also that are under $30. like the Qiyi MP 3x3 and the Yuxin little magic v3 M,.. ... under $30. is a sweet spot. They're not "cheap" but they don't give you sticker shock.

The Gan 12 maglev being $80. and this Peak one being $45.

Nah,.. I'll wait for a massive sale price to hit them first.

Especially Gan and an $80. 3x3,... just .... no.

You (we?) gotta put our foot down at some point and say, "no I'm not paying that for a 3x3 speed cube."

I guarantee if the entire cubing community boycotted Gan, they'd lower the prices. They're charging what they can because people pay it. And I'm guilty of it too since I have over a dozen Gan cubes. But they keep raising prices and now we have brand new unproven cube companies popping up with $45. cubes because we've allowed Gan to set a precedent.

At most, $20-$25 is really about all these cubes should cost. Even the most fancy ones.

If we keep allowing this soon Moyu and everyone else will jack up the price of their cubes.

/soapbox rant/

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
it looks cool.

but I'm not sure looks are worth $45.

Then again I bought the Tornado and WRM 2021 purely because of looks... but those were also sub-$30. cubes.

imo a brand new company trying to launch at almost Gan-Like prices is a pretty risky move. It's a bold move. ... almost an insulting move.

If I see it on sale for less than $30. I'll pick it up.

There are other new cubes I want to try also that are under $30. like the Qiyi MP 3x3 and the Yuxin little magic v3 M,.. ... under $30. is a sweet spot. They're not "cheap" but they don't give you sticker shock.

The Gan 12 maglev being $80. and this Peak one being $45.

Nah,.. I'll wait for a massive sale price to hit them first.

Especially Gan and an $80. 3x3,... just .... no.

You (we?) gotta put our foot down at some point and say, "no I'm not paying that for a 3x3 speed cube."

I guarantee if the entire cubing community boycotted Gan, they'd lower the prices. They're charging what they can because people pay it. And I'm guilty of it too since I have over a dozen Gan cubes. But they keep raising prices and now we have brand new unproven cube companies popping up with $45. cubes because we've allowed Gan to set a precedent.

At most, $20-$25 is really about all these cubes should cost. Even the most fancy ones.

If we keep allowing this soon Moyu and everyone else will jack up the price of their cubes.

/soapbox rant/
Gan lowering prices sounds pretty good.....

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely. When the cubicle released their interview with the Gan founder the particular moment below concerned me. Many people are buying Gan cubes so his point is valid though.

IMO I think it is far from unanimous consent that cubes should cost as much as Gan charges. I hope manufactures don't continue raising prices because frankly I think we're well past the point of diminishing marginal returns on the cost vs quality curve.

1637344178623.png

xyzzy

I'm already boycotting Gan for pricing-unrelated reasons so I don't care if their next cube is $500 or whatever. :p

I don't think I've explicitly mentioned my stance on cube pricing before, so here's my two million cents.

If cubes were targeted solely (or at least primarily) at an adult audience, then it absolutely makes sense for companies to price their products as high as however much people can pay for. Go ahead and crank up the price until profit is maximised! But speedcubing also has a huge child audience, and it seems kind of predatory that the one company that sponsors a huge proportion of the most famous fast cubers (Feliks, Max, Ruihang, etc.?) is also the one company that has much higher prices than all the other brands.

(Note: I know jack about sociology or economics or child psychology. For all I know, maybe this is acceptable behaviour to most of the world.)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Yeah, I was thinking about it, and I’ve actually kind of started doing it. I really hope other people do the same, because $80 is outrageous. Sadly, people won’t because for some reason they believe that they will get something with a Gan cube that they won’t get with another brand.
I actually disagree with this, because of how Moyu and Qiyi have been trending recently. The GTS3 was $35, the WRM 2019 was $39, the WRM 2020 was $35, and the WRM 2021 is only $27 ($23 for the lite version, $30 to get it with maglev), not to mention the RS3M line. As for Qiyi, they went from the Valk Elite at $45, down to the Tornado v2, which is $25, and is arguably better. Along with the Tornado, Qiyi has also made a couple very good budget 3x3s. Overall, the prices of cubes from these 2 companies are going down, which makes them even more of an obvious buy over Gan’s cubes.

Manxkiwi

To add to that, the quadruple spring concept just feels weird and redundant to me. Why is it even there?
It looks to me that spring noise will be completely eliminated with this system. They will all be rotating independently around the axis.
Looks like a cool idea, but could be just for the sake of being different, as opposed to being better.
I find the problem with the expensive cubes is that you have to buy one to test it, generally speaking. It would be neat to have a physical shop where one could try out flagships. Afaik we don't have one in NZ.

daftjon

It looks to me that spring noise will be completely eliminated with this system. They will all be rotating independently around the axis.
Looks like a cool idea, but could be just for the sake of being different, as opposed to being better.
I find the problem with the expensive cubes is that you have to buy one to test it, generally speaking. It would be neat to have a physical shop where one could try out flagships. Afaik we don't have one in NZ.
Yes we do, but it is in Christchurch.

YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks like a teaser/promotional video was posted 5 months ago about the Peak Cube. The description says "It took a whole year and five months from development to manufacturing to production."

The second video is all hype. The marketing team is really stepping up their game.

Dang the release trailer music is cool.

Besides that, Peak could really become a major cubing company. I mean, look at the S3R. Quad springs? Adjustable contact surfaces? I highly doubt that other manufacturers even tried to implement these! First of all, swappable contact surfaces is a good idea. Why? We all have our own definition of a good feeling cube. So if you don't like a GAN flagship, ehh, that's 80 dollars of hard-earned money gone. But, for 45 bucks, we get an option to swap out one surface and use another. Second, quad springs. I mean, it doesn't look that great (in my opinion, please don't send MTF forces after me) but this could eliminate spring noise. Overall, this cube might just be a new main for a few, at least for those are willing to risk it.

(But still, the release trailer music is really cool)