• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Moyu is claiming a patent for their Maglev system in a post on Facebook. This would appear to be a veiled threat at Gan for their system. Curious how Moyu got a patent for Maglev when Cube Depot has had Maglev cubes on their site for years.

There's also the unintentional hilarity of a Chinese cube company talking about patents.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Moyu is claiming a patent for their Maglev system in a post on Facebook. This would appear to be a veiled threat at Gan for their system. Curious how Moyu got a patent for Maglev when Cube Depot has had Maglev cubes on their site for years.

There's also the unintentional hilarity of a Chinese cube company talking about patents.
I hope this is not discouraging others from making use of maglev. I am praying for a version of the Tornado V2 like this. 🙏 Sans springs, it should be even better in what it is already very good at, i.e. it will be even smoother and quieter! and it should still be light (My guess is 79g). As someone who likes M moves, I believe the near frictionless turns will make M2 much easier, perhaps even M'3 will be fine. :D

(Something I really like about the Tornado V2 is that it is easier to generate rotational momentum, in spite of its lighter weight, than say the Moyu WRM 2021. I mentioned something before in my comments about these cubes, but I don't think many tester talk about this or I have read anything about this. It is about how easily force from the finger can be transferred to turn a cube layer. Some of the other light cubes just feel too hollow and harder to turn. I think this is about weight distribution, e.g. how much weight is near the perimeter of the turning layer, and designs to tune the moment of inertia for the same unit weight. What are you thoughts?)

Last edited:

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I hope this is not discouraging others from making use of maglev. I am praying for a version of the Tornado V2 like this. 🙏 Sans springs, it should be even better in what it is already very good at, i.e. it will be even smoother and quieter! and it should still be light (My guess is 79g). As someone who likes M moves, I believe the near frictionless turns will make M2 much easier, perhaps even M'3 will be fine. :D

(Something I really like about the Tornado V2 is that it is easier to generate rotational momentum, in spite of its lighter weight, than say the Moyu WRM 2021. I mentioned something before in my comments about these cubes, but I don't think many tester talk about this or I have read anything about this. It is about how easily force from the finger can be transferred to turn a cube layer. Some of the other light cubes just feel too hollow and harder to turn. I think this is about weight distribution, e.g. how much weight is near the perimeter of the turning layer, and designs to tune the moment of inertia for the same unit weight. What are you thoughts?)
I hope MoYu makes a maglev kit so you can upgrade rs3m 2020s and other cubes, but I doubt they will do it because its more of a hassle for them.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I hope MoYu makes a maglev kit so you can upgrade rs3m 2020s and other cubes, but I doubt they will do it because its more of a hassle for them.
Early tests of the RS3M 2021 show that there is minimal benefit in terms of performance, and the benefit in noise and perhaps speed does not seem worthwhile when considering the significant weight increase. I checked some of the earlier tests of custom made maglev cubes from years ago and those testers had similar comments. It is unfortunate that Moyu did not try to put more into refining this, and just use (based on what I have seen) the same core and mostly existing parts. A lighter cube like WRM 2021 would be great as a starting point, being more premium and better featured (corner magnet adjustments) Then, I would try a longer travel distance for the magnets (shorter axles), perhaps a special cylinder or a customised screw for the magnets to stabilise it and compensate for the longer travel, and perhaps a weak spring between the top magnet and the screw head, if necessary. This spring won't turn and there will still be no spring noise. My thinking is that since there is hardly any performance difference when using maglev, except for the noise and the wear and tear, a magnet with a re-positioned spring could achieve the same noise and friction elimination. Using a weaker magnet and a weak spring may reduce some weight, than relying on only magnet strength (heavier magnets), and should also allow a longer travel (more elasticity) without risking the cube becoming too loose and hard to control. It would also provide a more linear change in the pushing force as axis distance is changed. It must be fun job being a cube designer.

I just found this Australian site with little ring magnets, if anyone want to play with them. The 9mmx1.5mm might be suitable. NOT for children!

Last edited:

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
this is one of the worst cube reviews I have seen, and I've seen some 144p reviews with an ear-splitting into and a watermark covering half the screen.
no info on how well it can turn, no info on how its INSANE :eek::eek::eek:, doesn't explain how it looks, how even simple R and U turns feel, all it shows is cam failing to make a checkerboard, its almost comical how sad this review is. you can argue against me if you want, but it seems like its just an announcement that the cube is on their store.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
this is one of the worst cube reviews I have seen, and I've seen some 144p reviews with an ear-splitting into and a watermark covering half the screen.
no info on how well it can turn, no info on how its INSANE :eek::eek::eek:, doesn't explain how it looks, how even simple R and U turns feel, all it shows is cam failing to make a checkerboard, its almost comical how sad this review is. you can argue against me if you want, but it seems like its just an announcement that the cube is on their store.
I have definetly noticed the quality of scs reviews significantly dropping. Even with the new rs3m, it felt very beginner intended.

Kaiju_cube

there are a bunch of good cubing channels, but I have to say JPerm and SpeedCubeReview are both consistently really good, to the extent I will watch a video of there's on a puzzle I'm not even really interested in.

Tingman is fun and (wholesome?) .. just enjoyable to watch.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, "can't tell you about the turning because my thumb hurts" is not exactly helpful.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
To play devil's advocate, every very large cube review mostly says the same thing. It turns, outer layers better than inners. No, don't corner cut unless you are willing to risk a tragedy. I guess for the title to call it a speedcube is a stretch.
That's a fair criticism but at least they generally show more than 2 or 3 turns before quitting.

Gerry

For the 21 x 21 I think it was more of a proof of existence thing. This is not just a rumor like possibly the 23x23 is. Nope, the 21 x 21 is in fact a real thing you can buy. I'm guessing his hand injury was bothering him, and he said he would send it to JPerm for a better review.

I saw it more of an unboxing video than a review.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the 21 x 21 I think it was more of a proof of existence thing. This is not just a rumor like possibly the 23x23 is. Nope, the 21 x 21 is in fact a real thing you can buy. I'm guessing his hand injury was bothering him, and he said he would send it to JPerm for a better review.

I saw it more of an unboxing video than a review.
Proof of existence wasn't really needed - Anyu Zhang posted a solve video more than a week before SCS posted their video.

hellocubers

The Gan 12 in 2 versions ( a maglev system like moyu, and Enhanced Core Positioning 2.0 versions) coming this month.

View attachment 17008

.... I wonder why they don't combine the versions? So a maglev system WITH enhanced core?

Oh well, guess we have to wait and see. I'm sure Cubicle and SCS will have videos up in a week or so.
the picture looks cool.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is not a puzzle but is new AFAIK:
1cc sampler bottles of lube

while I would prefer getting at least 3cc bottles with orders, I think it is a nice promotional idea. maybe they can give them out at comps or something.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
This is not a puzzle but is new AFAIK:
1cc sampler bottles of lube

while I would prefer getting at least 3cc bottles with orders, I think it is a nice promotional idea. maybe they can give them out at comps or something.
I have a better idea. Cube makers should save their money and not send useless accessories like cube stands, cards, screw drivers, ... ... with each cube and just include something essential - a tiny bottle of lubricant. Except for any special tool (like that "harpoon" or Moyu's spring adjustment tool), most of those little extras do nothing for me. They just make me feel I have paid more than I should for that cube.

Last edited:

CubeRed

I have a better idea. Cube makers should save their money and not send useless accessories like cube stands, cards, screw drivers, ... ... with each cube and just include something essential - a tiny bottle of lubricant. Except for any special tool (like that "harpoon" or Moyu's spring adjustment tool), most of those little extras do nothing for me. They just make me feel I have paid more than I should for that cube.
Yeah that would be a great accessory.