• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Moyu RS3M 2021 is coming. It is maglev and you can view it on the Cubicles YouTube channel

Edit: Gan also made a $25 snake

Last edited:
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Edit: Gan also made a $25 snake
Who in the world would by that? I got a Snake with more pieces for 1/5 of that cost.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
This 2021 RS3M is very interesting. I think there are many potential benefits. There should be no more spring noise, but more importantly there will be no more friction between the spring, any washer and plastic part inside the centre piece. That means smoother turning, as well as elimination of wear and tear, or a longer lasting cube. Wear and tear can also lead to changed friction and performance characteristics.

However there are also a couple of challenges that I can see. The obvious one is the increased weight (increased from 86g to 92g), but it should not be too hard to fix that. Some of the latest 56mm cubes weigh only 60-65 grams. If replacing springs with magnets add about 7g as in this case, then other such cubes weighing under 70g should be quite possible. Moyu just happened to use a heavy cube, probably as an experimental first effort, this time.

The other challenge is more complicated and difficult to assess. It has to do with the non-linear way magnetic force changes as distance is adjusted. I suspect this may be a good thing for those who prefer a tighter cube, but for those who like looser and faster settings, it could be a potential problem since the difference in magnetic force may be very little and very weak once the screw is loosened to some point. Maybe it does not matter, with a strong enough magnet and a suitable adjustment distance, and even if it does, there could be designs to fix it, e.g a weak spring, or one that is conical, in addition to the magnet. Maybe a non-turning spring between the magnet and the screw head is the answer. (The screw, magnet and spring do not turn and do not cause friction, since the magnet is elevated from the cube's core.) In any case, I wish this works well, and I think it is great that there are still fresh new designs coming out. 👋 👋 👋

Last edited:

Kaiju_cube

The Gan 12 in 2 versions ( a maglev system like moyu, and Enhanced Core Positioning 2.0 versions) coming this month.

asdf.png

.... I wonder why they don't combine the versions? So a maglev system WITH enhanced core?

Oh well, guess we have to wait and see. I'm sure Cubicle and SCS will have videos up in a week or so.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
The Gan 12 in 2 versions ( a maglev system like moyu, and Enhanced Core Positioning 2.0 versions) coming this month.

.... I wonder why they don't combine the versions? So a maglev system WITH enhanced core?
They can make more money, drip releasing starting with lower models first. ;) I'm sure the Pro products will come later with everything. Besides, it is not Christmas yet.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11

View attachment 17008

Oh well, guess we have to wait and see. I'm sure Cubicle and SCS will have videos up in a week or so.
1631291698494.png
:mad:

I wonder how it will compare to the 11. I really, really hope we don't have 20 different models of the 12 and I really don't see how they can raise the price anymore. $70 (USD) is probably the max price for a 3x3 and it'll be unfortunate if they do make it that expensive.

Kaiju_cube

they will absolutely have 20 version of the same cube, it's what they do.

I've got like 5 version of the Gan 11. Stickered, non-stickered, (two) UV coated and the Duo.

...Duo is great btw.

I'm an idiot though; with little patience.

What amazes me is the old cubes like 356x and Air still sell for like $30.+ dollars, you'd think they'd be really cheap by now like under $20.