• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

xyzzy

That would be really nice, it might spark up the movement for kilo/kibi to be an official event again.
Although I hope they would do a center/edge magnet scheme, since there's never much contact between corners or corner/edge in kilominxes.
There's a gap between the corners, yes, but the corner/edge contact in a kilominx is exactly the same as in a megaminx. It's only a question of whether there's space in the pieces to place the magnets.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
New 2x2 Megaminx from QiYi! Definitely looks promising!

Immediately reminded me of the ShengShou Kilominx. I'm wondering if it will have the same design. I honestly hope not, but we'll see. I wonder if it will come in stickerless eventually.

I couldn't upload a photo as the screenshots were too big, so I have uploaded a link to the instagram post below.
http://instagr.am/p/CBffsx2DJ5Z/
I'm very excited for this one, my shengshou is actually pretty good compared to other kibiminxes I have tried but It's still pretty bad compared to megaminx hardware. Maybe this one could replace my main!

xyzzy

Why can't it just be magnetized like a 2x2?
Consider two adjacent corner pieces; the internal sides that face each other are not parallel (remember, it's a dodecahedron, not a cube), so unless you can place the magnets at the very edge and the edge pieces are very thin, the magnets will be separated by a large distance and hence have a much smaller effect (less added stability, less alignment snap).

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Consider two adjacent corner pieces; the internal sides that face each other are not parallel (remember, it's a dodecahedron, not a cube), so unless you can place the magnets at the very edge and the edge pieces are very thin, the magnets will be separated by a large distance and hence have a much smaller effect (less added stability, less alignment snap).
I guess that makes sense but you could surely just use stronger magnets at the very tip of the edge and it would make it a whole lot easier than trying to squeeze magnets into the edges inside. I have noticed on alot of cubes recently that the magnets are very small (like 3x1) and they still aren't weak.

xyzzy

I guess that makes sense but you could surely just use stronger magnets at the very tip of the edge and it would make it a whole lot easier than trying to squeeze magnets into the edges inside. I have noticed on alot of cubes recently that the magnets are very small (like 3x1) and they still aren't weak.
Perhaps! With corner-corner magnetisation, there would be 10 pairs of magnets holding the layer in, so 3×1 ought to be strong enough. (The Galaxy v2 M already uses 3×1 and it has only 5 pairs of magnets per layer; it also has thinned plastic, though, so it's not directly comparable.)

Last edited:

I'm A Cuber

The design looks a bit like Gan's piece design on their stickered cubes.
edit: it looks a lot like Gan's design, the magnets are looking exactly like Gan's.
It also looks like a cheap Valk box

Q--

WCA
2019MCGA02
More info about the QiYi kilo is out on their Instagram. It seems like it turns okay, but not a significant amount better than my meilong. We’ll have to wait and check out some reviews of it, because I don’t want to spend another weekend magnetizing another kilominx (it’s a long painful process).

I'm A Cuber

Mr M V2 3x3:
LanLan Clover Octahedron:
And the most exciting of these new releases, TC finally has the qiyi cube stands in stock: