• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

D

Deleted member 54663

I'm pretty sure that the GAN 11 Pro is going to be $85 USD, which is wayy too expensive for a 3x3.
At first, It was predicted to be 100 USD, but now its below. I'm thinking it will be 70 or 75, which is still very expensive. Guess I'm sticking with my main for now.

zslane

If the "core magnet" concept proves popular (with sponsored players and reviewers) then it'll end up on more reasonably priced cubes down the road. There's no need to spend $85-100 on a cube just to try out a (slightly) new idea. If you've got money to burn, then go for it, but if not, don't sweat it. If core magnets turn out to be a worthless idea then you just saved yourself a heap of cash. If they turn out to be a great idea, you'll probably see them on $9 cubes in less than a year.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
If the "core magnet" concept proves popular (with sponsored players and reviewers) then it'll end up on more reasonably priced cubes down the road. There's no need to spend $85-100 on a cube just to try out a (slightly) new idea. If you've got money to burn, then go for it, but if not, don't sweat it. If core magnets turn out to be a worthless idea then you just saved yourself a heap of cash. If they turn out to be a great idea, you'll probably see them on $9 cubes in less than a year.
Based on the pyraminx, I don't think the core magnet concept is useless. It does well in providing stability without the considerable bump.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwr

zslane

Well, I for one like a fairly strong tactile bump. In fact, I'm not a fan of cubes with magnets so weak that I can barely tell they are there (I'm looking at you RS3M...).

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I for one like a fairly strong tactile bump. In fact, I'm not a fan of cubes with magnets so weak that I can barely tell they are there (I'm looking at you RS3M...).

The magnets should make the cube stable without the resistance. Based on what we've seen, it should accommodate for a variety of preferences.

D

Deleted member 54663

I like The Valk Elite, other than the fact that it has a bump for the magnets instead of a pull. In a meilong with 4x1 magnets(cubicle lite), I found that the magnet strength was perfect for me. I still kept the medium magnets for the Valk elite, for stability

xyzzy

what are patents

I mean, sure, the (English-speaking) cubing community as a whole doesn't really care about intellectual property rights (unless specific nameable persons are involved, as opposed to faceless corporations…?) and willfully evades import taxes on a regular basis, but maybe consider that the established cube manufacturers might prefer to stay on the right side of the law.

(Well, we'll see in a couple of months whether Moyu, Qiyi, YJ, etc. care that much.)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
what are patents

I mean, sure, the (English-speaking) cubing community as a whole doesn't really care about intellectual property rights (unless specific nameable persons are involved, as opposed to faceless corporations…?) and willfully evades import taxes on a regular basis, but maybe consider that the established cube manufacturers might prefer to stay on the right side of the law.

(Well, we'll see in a couple of months whether Moyu, Qiyi, YJ, etc. care that much.)

Chinese companies don't care. They didn't care when it was V-Cube, or the Moyu dual adjustment system, or sliding magnets, and they probably won't start caring now. (you linked to a Wikipedia article on patents instead of a specific patent, if it exists.)

And idk what you mean by evading import taxes. All my cubes I've ordered from China have had customs labels. At least for US importing from China is tax-free under $800.

xyzzy

(you linked to a Wikipedia article on patents instead of a specific patent, if it exists.)
I did, because I was too lazy to dig up the patent, but what the heck.

(AIUI this is the patent application rather than the patent itself, but it's probably safe to assume that either the patent has been granted or will be soon.)
And idk what you mean by evading import taxes. All my cubes I've ordered from China have had customs labels. At least for US importing from China is tax-free under $800.
Idk, that's just the impression I get, with how people openly talk about trying to avoid customs duty on big orders. Maybe that's more of a European thing than a US thing. (Fun fact, there are more countries with English speakers than just the U. S. of A.!)

zslane

The customer won't generally be aware of whether or not a manufacturer is violating a patent, and can hardly be held accountable for that. Besides, I find it rhetorically uncompelling to defend the concept of IPR in the context of a country like China.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Idk, that's just the impression I get, with how people openly talk about trying to avoid customs duty on big orders. Maybe that's more of a European thing than a US thing. (Fun fact, there are more countries with English speakers than just the U. S. of A.!)

Probably a European thing. Whenever I order for Europe there's always a stupid VAT I have to pay on top of shipping. Anyway, the USA is the only English speaking country that matters. :)

D

Deleted member 54663

prototype doesn't look like it's up to par with MGC 4x4
I watched the video.
Idk why, but even though it would be better if it was good, i'm low key happy that i didn't waste money on the mgc 4x4.