• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Unpopular Opinions: Cubing

Pumpkinmuffin

Beginners shouldn't use good cubes.
You shouldn't learn OLL until you're close to sub-20.

:mad:
I disagree. I think that whether you're a beginner or not, you can use whichever cube you choose. I used a rubik's store bought for about a month when I was learning to solve and up until when I transitioned to cfop. Even though I got lucky with a decent store bought, it was still hard to use finger tricks when solving. Once I got a speedcube, it was so much easier to turn and easier on my hands (which would get sore if I cubed too much) and I was in the habit of using really wristy turns. I actually think if someone is interested in speedcubing ultimately, they should get a speedcube early on and start off with the habit of using their fingers to turn.

Mudkip

I know from expierience that begginers also are pretty unstable when it comes to cubing.
Meaning, there is a good chance of them stopping suddenly.
Why spend extra money on a fancy new speedcube when there rubiks brand is just fine for casual solving?
So yes, I agree. I would say sub 40, then go ahead and get a speedcube.

Pumpkinmuffin

Hmm, point taken. But I still think, when you are serious about it, getting a speedcube, even rubiks diy would be benificial in terms of cubing habits. I mean when you're in the habit of performing algorithms in a specific way and then you try to change it up, its a bit challenging in the beginning. Some of the trickier algorithms I had commited to muscle memory were kind of hard to do it a different way

Pumpkinmuffin

No no, I'm not saying that at all :eek: but relative to some newer cubes in terms of speed and corner cutting, its not the "best". Of course everyone has a preference and opinion as to which cube is better

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree. I think that whether you're a beginner or not, you can use whichever cube you choose. I used a rubik's store bought for about a month when I was learning to solve and up until when I transitioned to cfop. Even though I got lucky with a decent store bought, it was still hard to use finger tricks when solving. Once I got a speedcube, it was so much easier to turn and easier on my hands (which would get sore if I cubed too much) and I was in the habit of using really wristy turns. I actually think if someone is interested in speedcubing ultimately, they should get a speedcube early on and start off with the habit of using their fingers to turn.

I agree completely, I was stating before what I thought were "unpopular opinions". And I'll stand by the opinions that beginners should get something like a GuHong straight away.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why spend extra money on a fancy new speedcube when there rubiks brand is just fine for casual solving?

Rubik's Brands are 11.99 USD in most stores. Ghost Hands are $5. Many many many other speed cubes are less than 11.99USD. Your argument is invalid.

They shouldn't get a good cube, because then they get lazy and learn bad fingertricks. An A1 on tight tensions is more than enough for a beginner to learn fingertricks on.

Really? Because when I finally got a good cube I spent months unlearning the crappy fingertricks I'd developed from using a stiff cube. Try doing left ring push D' quickly on a crappy cube.

AvG can probably be as good as freeslice for big cubes, especially 5x5x5; I think it's just unpopular, not worse.

I think freepair methods are better than AvG, but I agree about the popularity statement.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think freepair methods are better than AvG...
I knew it was an unpopular opinion. :) I think if Erik can be top 10 with essentially AvG, when he doesn't even practice all that much any more, it must be at least very close to as good as freeslice (for 5x5x5, anyway; it does seem like getting extra pairings for free in freeslice makes it worse for bigger cubes).

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my rank of favouritismationismation for my favourite methods,
Waterman>Heise>Roux>Petrus>CFOP>ZZ.

In my rank of favouritismationismationisation for speed methods,
Roux>All.

But waterman>all. Yay for waterman.