• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Time Distribution and Sub X

TheQ614

I still haven't broken sub 20, and it has been over a year since I broke sub 30, so it's been really annoying. I also can't seem to be able to execute pll's any faster, and my g perms take 5 seconds, no matter how much I practice. Honestly, if I could sub 3 or sub 4 last layer, I could be sub 20. I would like to hear from you guys how exactly your time distribution is or maybe some tips on how to break sub 7 on ll.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't like algs you could always switch to another method like roux. :)

But if you want to stay with CFOP, I recommend still focusing more on your Cross+F2L as that should be at around 14 seconds for sub-20 or there abouts. List of things to do:
1) Make sure you can solve cross BLD
2) Make sure you can see the next F2L pair which you are going to solve while solving the first one (basically lookahead).
3) learn how to predict/influence EO during LS
4) try not to pause anywhere in your solve at all.
5) just keep drilling algs

Sorry if this still seems a bit general but I cant be anymore specific than that unless you upload a video.

E: I average 15, CFOP is my second method so take it with a grain of salt as it may not be standard.
Cross: 1-2
F2L: 7-9
LL:3-7 (cause I use some CMLL, ELL, don't know full OLL or PLL sometimes VHLS and just lots of tricks to see what happens).

TheQ614

If you don't like algs you could always switch to another method like roux. :)

But if you want to stay with CFOP, I recommend still focusing more on your Cross+F2L as that should be at around 14 seconds for sub-20 or there abouts. List of things to do:
1) Make sure you can solve cross BLD
2) Make sure you can see the next F2L pair which you are going to solve while solving the first one (basically lookahead).
3) learn how to predict/influence EO during LS
4) try not to pause anywhere in your solve at all.
5) just keep drilling algs

Sorry if this still seems a bit general but I cant be anymore specific than that unless you upload a video.

E: I average 15, CFOP is my second method so take it with a grain of salt as it may not be standard.
Cross: 1-2
F2L: 7-9
LL:3-7 (cause I use some CMLL, ELL, don't know full OLL or PLL sometimes VHLS and just lots of tricks to see what happens).
yeah, it's pretty much last layer that's the problem, my f2l is around 10-14 seconds, so maybe I should focus more on last layer, also what method do u use?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These are a list of tips that are roughly ranked in terms of most to least important:

First, I'm assuming you know full PLL, if you don't you might want to.

Second, although lots of people say otherwise, starting to learn full OLL is pretty helpful. There are probably about 15 cases or so that can be memorized with little to no muscle memory involved in learning them, that are mostly just combinations of various triggers and/or set up moves.

Third, try to recognize what the exact problem is. If it's recognition, try doing LL-only solves where you actively try to find little recognition tips. If you want, you can even try learning 2-sided PLL, especially if you tend to do U U U or something similar a lot. If it's TPS, just really try to drill your algs and practice a lot. If it's lock-ups, try executing your algs slowly and smoothly and gradually get faster. That works wonders for me at the start of a session.

Fourth, try getting a different cube/setting up your cube differently (tension, try different lubes/clean your cube thoroughly). For example, my LL was really suffering because I just couldn't achieve very high TPS on an aolong v2 that had dried maru lube residue combined with cube plastic dust inside it, which made it a decent amount slower. Also, sometimes smaller cubes can help you achieve higher TPS, but it depends. Plus, sometimes cubes just get worn out.

Fifth, practice drilling algs where you try different fingertricks; sometimes that can help make you execute them more efficiently.

Sixth, find different algs. Sometimes you find that your current algs just don't work for you.

My time breakdown (I average 15-16 seconds globally but often get sub 15, 14 solves):

Cross: 2-4 seconds
F2L: 6-9 seconds
LL: 4-6 seconds

Last edited:

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I still haven't broken sub 20, and it has been over a year since I broke sub 30, so it's been really annoying. I also can't seem to be able to execute pll's any faster, and my g perms take 5 seconds, no matter how much I practice. Honestly, if I could sub 3 or sub 4 last layer, I could be sub 20. I would like to hear from you guys how exactly your time distribution is or maybe some tips on how to break sub 7 on ll.

Chris's Olson's PLL execution series

EDIT: Also, I can't even sub-5.5 last layer, and I'm almost sub-13. As others have mentioned, since the bulk of your solve isn't last layer, you should put more work into that part of it (Cross&F2L)

Manu96

WCA
2015VAZQ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, a cool tip that helped to my imporvements is just doing slow sloving. I mean, just doing the cube a the bus, or random solves. When I started to use timers, I realized I improved a lot in F2L. Also just try going 40% of your max TPS. If you do it fluid, try 50%,60%... Trying to reach the maxmum TPS you can get with fluid solves :)
How do you make these breakdown? Is the recognition of OLL inside of that LL time?