• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Time Barriers Help

MovingOnUp

WCA
2011UNKR01
Hello I am new to the forums and not a great speedcuber so I am going to start by telling what method etc. I use and what I would like to know/need help with?

Okay I use Fridrich F2L and 2look OLL and 2look PLL and I cant seem to break the 40 second barrier average. My averages are about 45 seconds with the stray 35 or 32 second solve because of some type of skip probably. I practice and practice so I dont think this is the biggest problem even though I know most of you will say that anyway. Is there anything I can learn/do that will help me? Thanks!

maggot

how long have you been using fridrich? 2 weeks? a month? 3 years? the biggest problems we see with beginners is wrist turning, really poor f2l with no lookahead and execution from only 1 angle, and OLL PLL recognition. typically there is a monstorous amount of cube rotations and very long pauses in between f2l pairs. when i broke 30 seconds (not to say that it was necessary) i learned full pll and was able to do a fairly slow turning, BUT SMOOTH AS BUTTER, f2l.
advice to get faster quicker is
slow down
turn faster (lol)
learn algs
learn fingertricks for algs
practice (a whole heck of a lot)
take breaks (lol it actually helps a little bit)
learn other methods to increase your overall cube knowledge
and the biggest advice,
pay attention to your solves (as you are solving, notice cube rotations, notice pauses (how long are they? when do you pause), notice cases that take you a long time etc. . )
try to reduce pauses/rotations and find more efficient ways to solve slow cases.

MovingOnUp

WCA
2011UNKR01
how long have you been using fridrich? 2 weeks? a month? 3 years? the biggest problems we see with beginners is wrist turning, really poor f2l with no lookahead and execution from only 1 angle, and OLL PLL recognition. typically there is a monstorous amount of cube rotations and very long pauses in between f2l pairs. when i broke 30 seconds (not to say that it was necessary) i learned full pll and was able to do a fairly slow turning, BUT SMOOTH AS BUTTER, f2l.
advice to get faster quicker is
slow down
turn faster (lol)
learn algs
learn fingertricks for algs
practice (a whole heck of a lot)
take breaks (lol it actually helps a little bit)
learn other methods to increase your overall cube knowledge
and the biggest advice,
pay attention to your solves (as you are solving, notice cube rotations, notice pauses (how long are they? when do you pause), notice cases that take you a long time etc. . )
try to reduce pauses/rotations and find more efficient ways to solve slow cases.

Yeah my F2L seems to be the problem I am struggling with it usually averages 27-30 seconds and I do a lot of cube rotations on f2l only every other part of my method seems extremely efficient i would actually put my f2l at about 24 secs average but what can I do to help this I use intuitive f2l also thanks for helping out

Zarxrax

Learn 1 look PLL.
I can almost guarantee you that by the time you learn them all and get in some practice using them, you will be sub-40.

Zann

I'd suggest learning 1 look pll also. I went from 45ish down to 35ish during that time. You'll get plenty of f2l practice from fixing things whenever you make a mistake...or at least I think that's what happened for me.

Jedi5412

YouTube
Visit Channel
i practice my f2l down to 10 sec (mine is 13 sec average exc cross) first before i learn full PLL since it will give you a boost of time when you REALLY need it (sub 30 barrier) still havent started looking into full pll yet

i get times over 30seconds when i have a bad F2l transistion (and cross) but sometimes when my f2l runs very smoothly i get something like 23 seconds with 2Look PLL and 2Look OLL

practice your f2l+cross it is the key to getting good times]

By the way when your F2L+Cross is below 25 seconds start using lookahead

one of the best lookahead tutorials out there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE7jYOXbgg

Last edited: