• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Event Debate Thread

What is the best event in your opinion?

• Total voters

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
We have had debate threads on methods and companies, now we have one about the official WCA Events!

Everyone has their opinions on the 17 WCA events, and here is a place to discuss them. From which events are the worst, to which are the hardest, to which are the most fun, all of these topics and more can be discussed in this thread

Why don't I start off with a very controversial opinion, 6x6 is the best speedsolving NxN Event

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
False. 5x5 is the best because triple parity isn't a thing on 5x5
5x5 is not as good as 6x6 for a few reasons

1. The centers aren't very complex. 6x6 has debatably the most complex centers due to a lack of true centers, so you can do a lot more fancy stuff on 6x6 and 7x7 then on 5x5, so it limits your options
2. The centers don't matter. Your solve can have very crappy centers but as long as you have good edges it will be fine. This technically applies to 6x6 but since centers are a giant portion of the solve compared to 5x5, so if your centers are bad, its very hard to save the solve
3. The edges are more complex. Like Centers, there is much more you can do to save time/m6oves with 6x6 edges compared to 5x5 edges, they also don't have a "Center Edge" so they can be built a little more freely than 5x5 edges
4. Triple parity can be reduced to double parity if you are smart with your edge pairing. 6x6 technically has triple parity, but if you actually try it's very easy to reduce it to double parity, Just make sure that your edge with parity on it is in your LL, then once you get to LL you can recognize whether the Midges or Wings have parity

Also, 7x7 is worse than 6x6 because its has all of the same things but with true centers, which limit the freedom of your solving, and therefore it prevents you from doing some tricks to save on moves/time.

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay so, I said 5x5. To be completely honest, there probably is not a 'best event'. Some factors narrow the 17 event list down but from there it is opinion. But ignoring this fact.
If we are going to look at the best events, I would assume we need to look at a few things. Difficulty of hosting it, spectator friendliness, and then a bunch of things about the event: time it take to solve for intermediate - advanced solvers, complexity and whatever else you think (lol)

So why 5x5?
  1. It's not really a problem to host, scrambling is easy too
  2. If you put enough practice in, you should be like sub 3 or faster, so it does not take super long to solve.
  3. You have that nice solving experience of big cubes, but you also have everything about 3x3 actually.
yEah

I was lying, multi is obviously the best event, its the most spectator friendly event ever, its challenging to git gud, I could go on.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
Okay, so originally when I tried to answer this, I went with a few key points that I thought could make a puzzle/event good.

Those were:
  • Solving time (too fast? Too slow?)
  • How much can be done on the puzzle? As in, what options are there for turning and for moving pieces?
  • How complex is the event?
  • Is it based on luck? Or is there a lot of learning and skill needed to do it?
  • Is there room for improvement in this event?
If we follow these guidelines that I have myself, then in my opinion that leaves:

3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, and Megaminx.

.....I have thought for a long time and I have not been able to take away any event from this list, even if I really wanted to.

Now, this is not about what events I like or hate. If that were the case, then Skewb would be on this list too.

So yeah. I think these are the best events.... But idk which is THE best.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so originally when I tried to answer this, I went with a few key points that I thought could make a puzzle/event good.

Those were:
  • Solving time (too fast? Too slow?)
  • How much can be done on the puzzle? As in, what options are there for turning and for moving pieces?
  • How complex is the event?
  • Is it based on luck? Or is there a lot of learning and skill needed to do it?
  • Is there room for improvement in this event?
If we follow these guidelines that I have myself, then in my opinion that leaves:

3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, and Megaminx.

.....I have thought for a long time and I have not been able to take away any event from this list, even if I really wanted to.

Now, this is not about what events I like or hate. If that were the case, then Skewb would be on this list too.

So yeah. I think these are the best events.... But idk which is THE best.
how do those guidelines not allow blind?

dudefaceguy

Okay so, I said 5x5. To be completely honest, there probably is not a 'best event'. Some factors narrow the 17 event list down but from there it is opinion. But ignoring this fact.
If we are going to look at the best events, I would assume we need to look at a few things. Difficulty of hosting it, spectator friendliness, and then a bunch of things about the event: time it take to solve for intermediate - advanced solvers, complexity and whatever else you think (lol)

So why 5x5?
  1. It's not really a problem to host, scrambling is easy too
  2. If you put enough practice in, you should be like sub 3 or faster, so it does not take super long to solve.
  3. You have that nice solving experience of big cubes, but you also have everything about 3x3 actually.
yEah

I was lying, multi is obviously the best event, its the most spectator friendly event ever, its challenging to git gud, I could go on.
I also think MBLD is the "best" event purely based on challenge and fun for me. But I voted for 3BLD because it's more accessible generally, and I get to actually do it a lot more often than MBLD. Basically, 3BLD is almost as good/fun/cool as MBLD but it's a whole lot more convenient.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why am I the only one who said 3x3?
Because 3x3 is extremely vanilla. Its got good qualities, but those qualities are amplified in other events. For example, megaminx is basically a 3x3 that has been on roids for 4 years. It takes every quality of 3x3 and turns it up to the max. 3x3 is a lot of people's favorite event, but very few people consider it the best event since its hardly unique at all compared to stuff like clock and squan.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
My very controversial counteropinion is can you please stop doing this big bold italics thing?
no
just a prank bro
3x3 is best, it’s classic.

It doesn’t take too long to solve, and it’s not over in the blink of an eye like with 2x2 or Skewb. Depending on your method it can be very intuitive or algorithmic.
Eh, I could say the same thing about other events that are more unique. I'm a little biased though since 3x3 has never been my favorite/main event in my entire cubing career since I have preferred unique events like square-1 and big cubes. 3x3 has amazing qualities as you mentioned but if you give me 1 quality you like about 3x3 I will give you an event that does it better or has more of it. For example, you like the speed of the event. Square-1 is an event that takes around the same amount of time as long as you try and get fast, and I think that they have similar limits in terms of what the fastest WR will be ever.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
no
just a prank bro

Eh, I could say the same thing about other events that are more unique. I'm a little biased though since 3x3 has never been my favorite/main event in my entire cubing career since I have preferred unique events like square-1 and big cubes. 3x3 has amazing qualities as you mentioned but if you give me 1 quality you like about 3x3 I will give you an event that does it better or has more of it. For example, you like the speed of the event. Square-1 is an event that takes around the same amount of time as long as you try and get fast, and I think that they have similar limits in terms of what the fastest WR will be ever.
And I also like the simplicity, straightforwardness, and few algs.
IDK though really, I’m biased towards 3x3 as well.

I generally don’t enter into debates but why not ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

dudefaceguy

no
just a prank bro

Yeah, I think there is an important distinction is between 3x3 as a puzzle and 3x3 as an event. As a puzzle, 3x3 is amazing -- we get 5 events out of that one puzzle! But the "regular" 3x3 speed solving WCA event is only one thing you can do with this amazing puzzle. And even though there are a lot of really cool and fun ways to solve a 3x3, only a few are viable in this event, since the only goal is speed. Other events that use 3x3s, like FMC and blind events, use other aspects of cubing knowledge besides just recognizing patterns and applying algorithms. And of course, there are a lot of fun things you can do with a 3x3 that are not captured in any WCA events (linear FMC for example).