• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tension is fine but cube turns TERRIBLE?

Toxhicide

I ordered a lunhui DIY kit, and my friend ordered it pre assembled. I received mine, assembled it, and it was much better than my rubiks. I set the tension so it wouldnt pop (medium?)

So I visit my friend, and his cube is absolutely amazing compared to mine (same cube). The sides turn like butter. I examined a few of his pieces to make sure they were the same as mine, and they were. I examined the tension of his cube, and how far the screw was in. Around half a milimeter difference, but our cube tensions are the same.

How can my tension be the same as his, but my sides turn terribly? It seems as if my cube is a rubiks cube compared to it. What is wrong?

Clayy9

I'm willing to bet you didn't assemble it correctly, or you haven't lubed it yet. I also have a DIY, and it's much better than my Guhong.

Toxhicide

I'm willing to bet you didn't assemble it correctly, or you haven't lubed it yet. I also have a DIY, and it's much better than my Guhong.

The only thing I could of done wrong would have to be with the screws. How would I assemble it (the lunhui) properly?

Also, both of our cubes dont have lube. His came preassembled, it stated it wasnt pre lubed. His pieces were just more loose than mine it seemed, although the tension was the same

Toxhicide

I did assemble it right, I just dont know why my cube is doing this.

I am not worried about lube right now. Neither of our cubes are lubed.

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Dude, you need to worry about lube. THAT is why your cube sucks. If you get a Dayan straight from the box, it WON'T turn well unless it's really loose. It'll feel really scratchy. If you have only ever used a Rubik's, then chances are, you shouldn't have jumped to a Dayan, but it's your choice. At least lube it, and then see what you think. Your friend's might be good even though not lubed, but I guarantee you wouldn't think it's good (the way it is now) after feeling it lubed.

Clayy9

Well, unless you make a video of it, I don't think I can help you. Seriously, lube it.

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
It sounds like his friend's cube is looser, even though he thinks they're set the same. His friend's cube was assembled. It could have already been turned by someone a little, so it may be more broken in. It's probably the tension though. It may look like they're the same, but a slight difference can make a big difference. He may not have assembled it properly, or whatever, but I'm still going to say to lube it. Each cube is slightly different. I've had 3 F2's, and some have been better than others. It's just the way things are. LUBE IT.

Toxhicide

Lolwut? 10 ppl saying to lube it, when he specifically said that BOTH cube are UNLUBED, and wonder whys his friend cube is better than his.

Exactly my point.

Also, his cube can do a 45 degree corner cut. Easy. Mine has trouble doing a 40 degree cut, but can still do it.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubes vary. Just deal with it. Lube it and break it in. Try a looser tension- the Lunhui apparently won't pop with a loose tension. Don't complain until you've tried that. Even after that, try modding it. If modding it makes it worse, you probably did it wrong.

benmeister

just so you know, lots of pre-assembled cubes come lubed with a factory lube that wears out within 1-2 months. AFAIK, AIY kits never have any lube on the pieces.

both of my guhongs (pre-assembled) came with some fairly decent lube straight from the factory ;)

Pazuzu

Have you taken a centre off his cube and compared how the factory screw, spring and washers are arranged compared to your setup? There may be a difference there, I think I saw in Tall5001's video his assembled cube had two washers under the spring, maybe it makes a difference. If they are the same and his is still better then he got luckier than you, you will just have to deal. I recommend doing Donovan's Ultimate mod and lubing though anyway, it will greatly improve things.

Fred Bloggs

From my experience I will also say it's the tension. If you set the tension on a LunHui as you would for a LingYun or a GuHong it feels crap. You need to loosen it to a point that a LingYun would simply fall apart on any corner cut. The HunHui will not pop.
That said, you really really really should put lube in it. It goes from a good cube to an exceptional one.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
your friend may have claimed his wasn't lubed, but the preassembled lunhui's come lubed. Just lube yours, that's what everybody else is saying...

Also, the cores suck on lunhui's, so even if the tensions look the same, they aren't. I'd suggest getting a new core aswell.